Poll

In a sequel to the Avengers movie, which characters would you most like to see? (Vote for as many as you want)

Ant-Man / Yellowjacket / Goliath (Hank Pym)
6 (18.2%)
Beast (Hank McCoy)
0 (0%)
Black Knight (Dane Whitman)
0 (0%)
Black Panther (T'Challa)
1 (3%)
Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau)
0 (0%)
Crystal (Crystalia Maximoff)
0 (0%)
Doctor Druid (Anthony Ludgate)
0 (0%)
Falcon (Sam Wilson)
0 (0%)
Hellcat (Patsy Walker)
0 (0%)
Hercules
1 (3%)
Mantis
0 (0%)
Moondragon (Heather Douglas)
1 (3%)
Ms. Marvel / Warbird / Binary (Carol Danvers)
3 (9.1%)
Quasar (Wendell Vaughn)
0 (0%)
Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff)
3 (9.1%)
Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff)
5 (15.2%)
Sersi
0 (0%)
She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters)
1 (3%)
Swordsman (Jacques Duquesne)
0 (0%)
Starfox (Eros)
0 (0%)
Tigra (Greer Nelson)
0 (0%)
The Vision
5 (15.2%)
Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)
5 (15.2%)
Wonder Man (Simon Williams)
0 (0%)
Other (Specify in Reply)
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Avengers 2  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Avengers 2
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
In a sequel to the Avengers movie, which characters would you most like to see? (Vote for as many as you want)
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

Re: Avengers 2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 10:12:26 PM »
From a story standpoint, I would want a newly introduced character to be integral to the plot.  The story for A2 presumably will be revolving around Thanos, I would also want a character to be representative of that comic history. 

Best choice: Moondragon. 

I could say Captain Mar-vell, but there'd be too much of his history to compress or discard (including the whole Kree race) if this were his first introduction. 

Drax the destroyer was always one-dimensional in the original Thanos saga, and added precious little to the plot. 

Starfox/Eros added more than Drax, but still not a lot. 

Moondragon is easily introduced, can support and expand plot points, might even be played as an antagonist at first, and adds a different female dynamic than Black Widow.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:37:59 PM by hans »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »
Hank Pym must be in there.

I voted for Ant Man, Black Panther and Wasp - those are the ones that I want to see on screen.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Targeter

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:25:58 PM »
I'd want to put in Wasp and Ant-Man because they're old school Avengers and the only members of the original line up that didn't make the cut.  Plus, you'd need Hank Pym in order to do a proper Vision story arc.  Ms. Marvel would also be a good choice, I think.

I also voted in Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch because they were pretty solid mainstays of the team even from the early days, although I think they might be mixed in with the grab-bag of X-Licensed characters that are under Fox's umbrella deal.  (Beast is totally out of the question for the time being.  Plus... I don't want to have two smart guys named Hank on the same team.)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »
I'm assuming that the Hulk won't be in Avengers 2, because the Hulk is only an Avenger on certain rare occasions. However, the movie franchise did set it up so that the Hulk could be a recurring team member.

If the Hulk doesn't appear, that could free up some screen time (and special effects dollars) for other regular team members to appear. Ant-Man seems to have the most votes so far, and I was surprised that he didn't even get a cameo in the first movie. A "Dr. Banner, this is Dr. Pym, you'll be sharing his lab" one-liner would have sufficed.  :)

I included every member of the team who joined prior to 1994, because I want people to be able to vote for anyone they'd like to see, obvious choice or not.

Somebody wants to vote for Doctor Druid and Sersi, I just know it...

Offline Targeter

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »
I mainly recognize Avengers from the early nineties, since that was when I collected, and the original line-ups from the 60's.  I guess Wonder Man would be part of the nineties line-up as well, but I never cared much for him and his Charlie Brown shirt.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:30 AM »
Ant-Man seems to have the most votes so far, and I was surprised that he didn't even get a cameo in the first movie. A "Dr. Banner, this is Dr. Pym, you'll be sharing his lab" one-liner would have sufficed.  :)

The Ant-Man movie is planned for 2015 - I guess we won't see Hank Pym until then.

I think that also means he's definitely going to be part of The Avengers 2 in 2015. The site also lists The Falcon as a rumored character.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline carlq

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:45 AM »
Apart from some beloved standards (Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Quicksilver, etc), given the galactic level of a Thanos conflict, I voted for some of the more "cosmic" level Avengers - Moondragon, Quasar, Ms Marvel (with hopefully a deus ex machina appearance of her Binary form) and Wonder Man, the latter being the closest the Avengers come to  a Superman equivalent (unless an appearance by Gladiator is on the cards). I also voted Crystal, as her inclusion would be an ideal gateway to what I fervently hope to see in the third film - the Inhumans and a trip to Attilan on the Moon! Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Carl Q.
"Real life"? That's just for people with no imagination.

Offline carlq

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »
From a story standpoint, I would want a newly introduced character to be integral to the plot.  The story for A2 presumably will be revolving around Thanos, I would also want a character to be representative of that comic history. 

Best choice: Moondragon. 

I suppose Warlock would be ideal, but suffers the same backstory issues as Mar-Vell. What about Gamora, though? I just had a mental flash of Angelina Jolie dressed in Gamora's costume and green paint - and less attractively, Danny DeVito as Pip the Troll...

Carl Q.
"Real life"? That's just for people with no imagination.

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 06:24:04 PM »
I suppose Warlock would be ideal, but suffers the same backstory issues as Mar-Vell. What about Gamora, though? I just had a mental flash of Angelina Jolie dressed in Gamora's costume and green paint - and less attractively, Danny DeVito as Pip the Troll...
Carl Q.

Gamora would definately be a cool inclusion, but she shouldn't be made an Avenger. 

I'm not sold on the idea that the team needs to expand in order to stay fresh, either, or that it would be a good idea to expand at all.  Unlike a monthly comicbook, there's only so much screen time to share in a movie.   

The first movie did a terrific job of juggling the characters, but if Hawkeye hadn't been on the villain side through much of it, his character would certainly have gotten squeezed out of a lot of time by the big boys. 

I was thankful that War Machine didn't appear.  The pie didn't need to be sliced thinner just to accomodate a second Iron Man.  Yet, from a common-sense standpoint, Nick Fury absolutely would've wanted that extra fire power, right? 

The bottom line is they need to make a really good movie that showcases their top heroes.  Additional characters need to service the plot in order to justify screen time.

Adding more, unless they're integral to the plot, is kinda like deciding "who's gonna be our Chekov and Sulu?" or even yet "Nurse Chapel?" 

Offline Targeter

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
I have a feeling Gladiator would be too tied up with the X-Men franchise to appear in anything Marvel Studios.  I can totally see them trying to expand into Inhumans territory, although I have a feeling it's more likely that we'll see some Guardians of the Galaxy tie-ins first.

But why THOSE Guardians of the Galaxy and not the originals?

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:30 PM »
But why THOSE Guardians of the Galaxy and not the originals?

Perhaps the Drax the Destroyer connection...?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 01:40:09 AM »
The Ant-Man movie is planned for 2015 - I guess we won't see Hank Pym until then.

I think that also means he's definitely going to be part of The Avengers 2 in 2015. The site also lists The Falcon as a rumored character.

Ant-Man (2015) used to be known as Ant-Man (2012) and there was speculation that Hank Pym would appear in the Avengers (2012) since the two movies would be released in the same year.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
The Falcon will be in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so it is possible for him to be in Avengers 2, even if it is just a small cameo or extended cameo.

War Machine was absolutely around for the Chitauri invasion ... there is a prequel comic series for Iron Man 3 which will touch on this and events that occur between the Battle for New York and the new movie.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
I'm not sold on the idea that the team needs to expand in order to stay fresh, either, or that it would be a good idea to expand at all.  Unlike a monthly comicbook, there's only so much screen time to share in a movie.   

I agree that the team does not need to expand. I'd like to see a couple of the characters not appear in the sequel, to be replaced by others.

Falcon is a possibility, though I think he belongs in a Captain America solo movie more than in an Avengers movie. Much like War Machine, I would like Falcon to be "busy elsewehere" during Avengers 2.

Ant-Man is also a possibility, but you can't have him in the Avengers without the lovely Janet. Janet van Dyne is the heart and soul of the Avengers in the comics, but do we really need two characters whose main Super Power is that they can both get really small?

Carol Danvers (the current Captain Marvel) is starting to look more likely to me. She would fit well into a storyline where the main villain is presumed to be Thanos.

anything