Author Topic: Dungeon Craft FAQ  (Read 3032 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Dungeon Craft FAQ
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
 What is Dungeon Craft?

Dungeon Craft is an adventure creator that is based on the AD&D gaming system. It mimics the features and functionality of SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. While FRUA is DOS based, DC is Win32 based and currently runs under Windows 9x/2000/XP/Vista using DirectX 7+. Check out the minimum requirements on the download page.

What do I need to use Dungeon Craft?

Minimum requirements:

• DirectX 7 or higher
  • Win95 (4.00.950B or higher)/98/2000/ME/XP./Vista
  • Pentium CPU required, Pentium II 233 or higher recommended, but not required
  • 800x600 resolution recommended for the editor
First Time Users: Before the engine will run, a design needs to be created and saved using the editor. To run the engine after saving a design, either choose the menu option under 'Global->Test Design' to run the engine, or double click on the 'Start' shortcut that is in the saved design's folder. There is a help file, UAF.hlp, that explains some things about using Dungeon Craft. It is still incomplete though.

What, if any, other programs do I need?

None. However, if you would like to make designs instead of just playing, you may need a good art program and sound program.

What do I need if I want to look at the source code and help with programming?

Dungeon Craft has been in development for a large number of years and programming compilers and libraries have moved on. The best program to use to compile DC is the original program that was used in it's development: Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. You will also need to download Microsoft DirectX 9 SDK as this is the last SDK that will work with Visual C++ 6. This file can be found here: DirectX 9 SDK download (218Mb)

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Dungeon Craft FAQ
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:44:12 AM »
   Where is Dungeon Craft available to download?
Dungeon Craft is available to download from a couple of locations. First, is the official Dungeon Craft site maintained by Cocoaspud, in the [download section]. Or go to the [Official Web Site]  and look in the Downloads area where you will find the latest DC game engine and useful files.

Where can I download designs to play?

Available designs and demos (as of 08/04/08)- Available on the [DC Website].

• Fury by Harri Polsa
  • The Last Days of Autumn by Harri Polsa
  • Tavern Demo by Kevin Wyllie
  • Thieve's Run by manikus
  • Border of Darkness by Sihram

Where can I download art to use in my designs?

• Ironworks by Dan Huling
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/dungeoncraft/index.shtml

• Uatu's DC
http://two.xthost.info/uatu/dungeoncraft/

• Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
http://one.xthost.info/Dinonykos/

• manikus' Dungeon Craft
http://manikus.reonis.com/index.php

• Steve McDonald's DC
http://manikus.5gbfree.com/hosted/smd/index.htm

• The Hollow by John Donlon
http://www.freewebs.com/hauntedhollow/dungeoncraft.htm

• Kaltusara's DC
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/kaltusara_dc/index.html

• TwilightKing's DC
http://webpages.charter.net/dptaylo/

• Dreamlands by Jorg Wever
http://www.dreamlands.de/ua-frame.htm

• UA File Archives
http://frua.rosedragon.org/dc/

Where can I upload my finished designs?
There are a couple of places. You may upload to the [UA File Archive] if the size is 7MB or smaller. [The Yahoo List] You can also send an email to [manikus] with your design as an attachment and he can add most likely add it to the Official site designs page.

Kick me an [email] or [PM] on the forums and I'll make sure that Rosedragon and my archive gets updated.

Host: ftp.reonis.com
User: FRUA
Pass: F0r Life!

...that's "capital F, number zero, r, space, capital L, ife!"

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:04:03 PM by Donnie Ewald »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »
   How do I load a design to play it?
Download the design, unzip into a folder that has extension 'dsn' as in 'TestDesign.dsn', start the editor and load/edit/test it. If you want to play it outside of the editor, you can copy the UAFEngine.exe to the folder and double-click it. The engine accepts command-line parameters so that a shortcut can be created to play all designs with one engine exec, but I don't think I put that into the docs. When you save a design the editor puts a shortcut there and you can copy it and modify it for each design folder.

How do I create my own design?
Go to File->new. When the dialog comes up, enter the name of your design in the top box and choose an existing design in the second box to model your design off of- this is for art and database import and resolution setting only. Click on "OK". Go to File->open and choose the design just created and click "OK". Go to Global->Global Settings (ctrl+G) set up your design as you would like. Edit databases as desired.

How do I create a dungeon level?

Go to level->level list, and choose a level. Make sure and select one with a "No" under used to avoid deleting any work already done. Press the "Properties" button. Select "Dungeon", and fill in the appropriate information. Choose sounds and background music to go with your new level if you wish. Press "Close" to go back to the level list. To go to your new level, choose it and press "Select".

How do I create a map level?
From the level list dialog (Level->Level List), pick a level and press the 'Properties' button. Select 'Wilderness', then load your background overland image using the button next to it. DC will automatically calculate the map width/height, as each map cell is 16x16 pixels. Once loaded, the background image will appear on the map editor. You can then place zones, events, blockages, just as you would on a dungeon map.

How do I import art?

First, you must determine what type of art you would like to use. Different types of art will be placed in your design by different methods. Small pics, big pics and sprites will generally be placed via an event; icons and combat sprites via a database; walls and backgrounds through a list; and frames, borders and wilderness art through global settings. Each of the styles of art are typically imported by pressing the corresponding button and browsing to find the picture that you would like to use. e.g. to import an icon for a monster that you've created, click the button next to "Icon" and choose the correct picture and select "OK".

How do I place an event?

In the editor, with the editor in event mode, click on a map square and the Event Viewer pops up. Use the mouse to select an unused node labeled "No Event", or for a chained event the label will have something like "Normal Chain: No Event". The chained event text differs depending on the root event, but an empty event node will always have "No Event" somewhere in it. Now that an empty node is selected and highlighted, choose one the event types on the right and click on the "Add" button. Fill in the requested event data in the event dialog that pops up and click on the "Ok" button. The event label text should now reflect the event type and the map location, something like "Camp: 1,1". The new event will have "+" symbol next to it to indicate it has chainable event nodes. After clicking on the "+", the event tree will expand that event node to show all available chain events for this type of root event. Adding a chained event is the same process, just start with selecting an empty chained event node.

How do I place a wall?
Placing a wall means both putting a visible wall on the side of a square and setting the 'blockage' state. These are two independent attributes of one of the square's sides. When you select a wall to be placed you also make a decision about whether the wall is 'open', 'locked', etc. There are two ways to place walls in your design- using 3-d view, and using the 2-d map. Both methods are active and can be used at the same time. Place Walls Using 2-d map: Use the left mouse button to place a wall in a given square. Which of the four walls is determined by your orientation in the 3-d view which is also reflected by the orientation of the small, white arrow in the 2-d map. So, if the arrow is pointing south and you click in square 5,9 then the wall is inserted on the south side of square 5,9. If 'KwikKlik' is enabled then the orientation of the arrow is ignored. You place a wall by left-clicking on the four sides of the square. The square is divided into four triangles by two diagonal lines and the position of the resulting wall is determined by which of those four triangles the mouse is pointing to. In KwikKlik mode, you can also place walls by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the mouse cursor where you want walls to be placed. If you hold down the 'H' key while dragging the cursor you will place only horizontal walls. If you hold down the 'V' key while dragging the cursor you will place only vertical walls. As always, placing a wall can mean either placing a single wall on one side of one room or it can mean placing two identical walls back-to-back. The choice is made by 'checking' or 'un-checking' the 'Place Wall on both Sides' option in the 'Mode' menu. In both methods, the right mouse button may be used to delete a wall. Placing Wall using 3-d View: In this method of placing walls, you 'walk' around the design as if you were playing the game and put walls to your left, right, and front. There are two ways to move around using the 3-d View- the arrow keys or the mouse. There are several ways of placing a wall in the 3-d view- left-click the appropriate button just below the view, press the appropriate letter on your keyboard or left-click the space in the 3-d view. The three buttons below the 3-d view are labeled 'Left', 'Place Wall', and 'Right'. The first letter of each of these commands can be used to place the walls from the keyboard. The walls are placed in the space you are currently 'occupying', to your left, front, and right, respectively. If you have 'KwikKlik' enabled then you can also place walls using the mouse in the 3-d view. The view is divided into 3 equal horizontal stripes and the center stripe is made up of 5 equal squares. The 5 squares from left to right represent: left wall of room you are in, left wall of room just ahead, front wall of room you are in, right wall of room just ahead and right wall of room you are in. You place a wall by left-clicking the appropriate square and delete a wall by right-clicking. No matter what method you use, placing a wall can mean either placing a single wall on one side of one room or it can mean placing two identical walls back-to-back. The choice is made by 'checking' or 'un-checking' the 'Place Wall on both Sides' option in the 'Mode' menu.

How do I place a background?

To change the background images, go into Backdrop Mode by pressing the B-button in the toolbar, or by choosing level->backdrop slots. To get an overview of the currently available backdrops press the Select Backdrop-button on the left side. A dialog window appears. From the available backdrops, choose the one that you wish to place, or click on a blank space and import a new backdrop, note that there is also a slot available for showing a different backdrop by night. You can place the backdrop in a square by left-clicking on it, or by moving the small white arrow to the square and clicking on the button "Place Backdrop". It is possible to have different backdrops on each side of a square. For this you have to de-select "Place Backdrop on all Sides" in the Mode-menu. Now only the backdrop in front of the party is replaced or the backdrop on the side you clicked on. It is also possible to fill the whole map or parts of it with the currently chosen backdrop. You can do this by clicking in the Level menu on Fill All Map - Backdrop - All Facings.

How do I create monsters?
 Go to database->edit monsters, and click on add in the upper right-hand corner. Fill in the appropriate statistics and choose sounds and an icon to accompany your monster. In the middle of the add screen is a button that reads "Attacks", click it to define attacks for your monster- this is important, if you do not define any attacks, your monster will not have any, as the default is zero attacks. When you have everything how you would like it, click "OK".

How do I create items?

Go to database->edit items, and click on add in the upper right-hand corner. Fill in the appropriate statistics and choose sounds and sprites if appropriate. It is important to note that the name for the item must be unique, which can be done by using a qualifier, which is separated from the name by a '|' (pipes, ascii 124). e.g. sword|+1. In game this would read as "sword" until identified, but in the items database it would read "sword|+1". This allows the players to have many different types of an item that are only distinguishable through identification. Click "OK" to add your item to the database.

How do I create spells?
Go to database->edit spells, and click on add in the upper right-hand corner. Fill in the appropriate statistics and choose sounds and sprites to accompany your spell. Click "OK" to have the database accept your spell.

How do I change to 1024x768 resolution?

• Go to SourceForge and download the 1024x768 resolution art pack. It's in the 1.0.0.0 section and is called DCart1024.exe. Install this into your DC directory. As well as containing the art files you will need to start at this resolution, it also contains the important config.txt file which DC uses to run the editor at the proper resolution. https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1754
  • Navigate to the new folder, which should be someplace like C:\Program Files\DungeonCraft\DefaultArt\1024 (substitute the appropriate drive letter and directories as necessary). Open the config.txt file in the text editor of your choice. You need to modify lines 11 through 15, substituting "DungeonCraft" for "UAF" in the directory paths, or if easier cut and paste the following. Install_Dir = C:\PROGRA~1\DungeonCraft Default_Resources = C:\PROGRA~1\DungeonCraft\DefaultArt\1024 Default_Resources2 = C:\PROGRA~1\DungeonCraft\DefaultArt CommonCharFolder = C:\PROGRA~1\DungeonCraft\CharSave Game_Exec = C:\PROGRA~1\DungeonCraft\UAFWin\UAFWin.exe Note: I will be updating this package very soon, so the last part of this step, editing the config.txt file, may be obsolete as of your reading this.
  • Open DC and choose Mode from the top menu. Choose Editor Options. In trhe box that pops up, choose a resolution that is equal to or larger than the resolution you want your design to be at. You will need to close and restart the editor for the changes to take place.
  • Open DC if you have not already done so. If you are not working in full screen mode, you may need to resize your window to see everything. Go to Mode in the upper menu and choose Configure Game Screen Res. Click OK on the warning box that pops up. It is just informing you that you cannot choose 800x600 resolution as the editor could not find a config file for it. Select 1024x768 and click Change Game Res. Notice that there is a checkbox to change the configuration of the currently selected design. Only check this if you witsh to change resolutions of that design as well. Click OK on the pop-up box and then close and restart DC.
  • The walls will not display correctly. Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. :) If you have changed the resolution for the currently selected design, you will need to open the wall editor and replace the walls with those you just downloaded. Otherwise, it's time to create a new design. Select File from the top menu and choose New... Type the name of your design in the upper box and click OK. Now, go back to File and select Open... Choose your new design, click OK and you are ready to go. Notice that the new art is preloaded for you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:09:21 PM by manikus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
   What are the different types of art for Dungeon Craft?
Dungeon Craft utilizes the following kinds of graphics, with the types in parentheses being the same size, just named differently: small pictures (player portraits), big pictures (maps), sprites, combat sprites (spells), icons (monster, npc & pc), walls (doors & overlays), backgrounds, wilderness, dungeon wall [for combat mode], cursor, title, border & frame.

What picture formats does Dungeon Craft support?

Dungeon Craft supports graphics in BMP, PCX, TGA, PNG, JPEG and AVI formats. It supports sounds in WAV, MIDI, MP3 and MOD formats.

What are the sizes for the various types of artwork at each of the resolutions?

Some of Dungeon Craft's artwork stays the same size, independent of resolution. All sizes are in pixels-

• icons:48x96 comprised of two frames, in order a ready and attack pose, each 48x48; larger icons must be multiples of 48 and have each of the two poses
  • combat sprites: 48x48
  • cursor:
  • wilderness:
  • dungeon wall:
  • combat death animation: 96x48, two frames that are alternated rapidly when a creature dies
For examples of each of these kind of artwork, look at the appropriate default art that comes in the Dungeon Craft download. 640x480?

• wall (default format): 576x368
  • sprite: 528x211
  • title: 640x480
  • small pic: 176x211
  • big pic: 608x288

800x600?

• wall (default format): 864x552
  • sprite: 792x324
  • title: 800x600
  • small pic: 264x324
  • big pic: 772x436

1024x768?

• wall (default format): 1152x736
  • sprite: 1056x422
  • title: 1024x768
  • small pic: 352x422
  • big pic: 992x480

How do I convert FRUA artwork to a form usable by Dungeon Craft? Icons: Resize to 640x286 maintaining aspect ratio, move one of the tiles so that it directly abuts it's neighbor, crop image down to just icon data. Result should be a multiple of 48 in both directions. Big Pics,Small Pics,Backdrops: Resize to 640x480 *without* maintaining aspect ratio, crop down to include only image data. Combat walls: Resize to 640x400 maintaining aspect ratio. The file can be made smaller by cropping the image down so that the empty black space is removed. Doors, overlays, walls: Resize to 640x480 *without* maintaining aspect ratio. The walls can be cropped down to reduce file size. The doors/overlays take some extra work, but the goal is to make the image data for each door/overlay align with coordinates used by the corresponding wall images: -add 130 pixels to left side of image, making it 770 pixels wide -move last image that is in upper right corner to second row, left side. Should be 0,120 for the upper left pixel. -at this point the wall and door/overlay images should align for x coordinates, but the y coords (vertical) need to be tweaked for each door/overlay. Simply determine the bottom y coord for each wall image, and move the corresponding door/overlay up or down so that it's bottom y coord matches. -the largest door/overlay image may need to be moved slightly to the right to make it be drawn in the center of the largest wall section. -since walls/doors/overlays use transparency, either the bounding boxes for the doors/overlays need to enlarged to match the wall boxes, or, the quickest procedure is to fill the black areas of the image with the transparent green color, then color the pink boxes in the green color also.
For all artwork, if an image will be drawn using transparency, the transparent color is always determined from the color of the image pixel at 0,0 (upper left). Whatever that color is, it will not be transferred from the source. At the moment, the following pic types use transparency:

• Sprites
  • Walls
  • Doors
  • Overlays
  • Icons
  • Fonts (except highlight font)
and the following pics do not use it:

• title
  • combat walls, indoor and outdoor
  • backdrops
  • maps
  • big pics
  • small pics
  • combat cursor
  • combat death animation
  • frame art
  • area view art

I need help with art, where should I go?

These are links to FRUA newsletter articles about artwork: Walls:
  Dungeons:
  Icons:
  Character Pics:

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
  How many quests can I have in my design, and how many variables per quest?

The maximum number of quests is 268,435,455. Each quest can have values of 0-65001. 1-64999, quest is in progress 65000, quest is completed (successful) 65001, quest is failed

How many levels can I have in my design? How many events?
Max levels 255, each level up to 100x100 Max events 16,777,215 per level Max zones 16 per level Max step events 16 per level

How many walls and backdrops can I use per level?

Max wall slots 192 per level Max backdrop slots 192 per level

How many NPC's and monsters can I have in my design?

Max NPC’s 2,147,483,647 Max monsters 2,147,483,647

How many different spells can I put in my design?

Max spells 1,048,575

How much text can I have in my design?
 Nearly unlimited text There is an actual limit on the text at 2 billion characters per text box. That is, each place where you can enter text into an event has the 2 billion character limit.

How do I record a game I'm playing in Dungeon Craft?
 Start up your favorite game design in the Dungeon Craft engine. When the title screen loads, press CTRL+R to start recording. When you're done recording, press the ESC key.

How do I playback a game I've recorded in the Dungeon Craft engine?
You will find a file that has a name like 'Recordxxx.log'. To play it back, rename the file to 'Playfile.log', start the engine, and press CTRL+P.

How do I setup Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 to compile DC?

• First things first, install Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. <-- Not as silly as it sounds. :)
  • Install DirectX 9 SDK.
  • You will now have to compile the CDX library. Open Microsoft Visual C++ 6 and load the "CDX.DSW" file. This file is a saved project file that will automatically load all the necessary files in the CDX project. You can find it in the downloaded source code files.
  • You must then change the following settings in Microsoft Visual C++ 6 otherwise the program will refuse to compile:
    • In the Project Settings dialog box for the new file, select the C/C++ tab and the Precompiled Headers category.
    • Click the Automatic Use of Precompiled Headers box.
    • Choose the OK button at the bottom of the Project Settings dialog box.
  • Compile the CDX library.
  • Now that you have set up the CDX library, you can load either of the UAFWinEd.dsw or UAFWin.dsw project files and compile them.

Who is the creator of Dungeon Craft?

The creator of Dungeon Craft is Richard Turner, aka Cocoaspud. The [Dungeon Craft] page is the official site, and you can go there for contact information there for all team members. The current project manager is manikus who can be reached through this site via PM as well.

Who are the Dungeon Craft design team?
  • Richard Turner- The guy who started this adventure.
  • Paul Stevens- He is responsible for the GPDL script engine. He also architected major improvements to text file scripting, map editing, among other things. He is also responsible for fixing some of the nastier bugs to plague DC. Paul also works on another project called 'Chaos Strikes Back for Windows'.
  • manikus- He is the current project manager, scripter and help documentation writer.
  • nologgie- He is the master scripter and fount of AD&D and FRUA knowledge.
Inactive Team Members

• Dan Huling- He has been creating incredible artwork for DC.
  • Kevin Wyllie- He has been helping out in the GPDL and artwork areas.
  • David Downing- He has been pushing DC to higher resolutions than 640x480.
  • Derek Harmon- He is re-working the character code.
  • Tarlanon- helping in programming and with bug fixes.
  • LurchBrick- helping with bug fixes.

Who are the contributors to the Dungeon Craft F.A.Q.?
In no particular order, the contributors are Richard Turner aka Cocoaspud, Dan Huling aka Ziroc, Jeremy Dore, Paul Stevens, Lord Killjoy, SilentThief, LurchBrick and manikus. There are, I'm sure, names that have been missed, especially the question askers- so I will say everyone at the IronWorks and Dungeon Craft forums and on the Yahoo list are also contributors.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:15:23 PM by manikus »

anything