Author Topic: Tell Me About OAUA  (Read 1267 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Tell Me About OAUA
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
As an outsider who has never used the OAUA world-hack, I was disappointed to see that there isn't a list of what is included in it, how to use it, and what can be done with it.  I noticed the last released included some bug-fixes, but what's at the heart of the worldhack?

I mean, sure, I could probably find out with some research.  I could peruse articles in the UANL.  I could download some documentation.  But, what if I want to know without going to all that work?  What if I want to sticky the information to the top of this board?  What if I just want to be lazy?

Anyone want to fill in the blanks and tell us the features, how to implement them and how to best enjoy them?  I can only imagine it would help people in the future.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Kaz-Keith

Re: Tell Me About OAUA
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »
As an outsider who has never used the OAUA world-hack, I was disappointed to see that there isn't a list of what is included in it, how to use it, and what can be done with it.  I noticed the last released included some bug-fixes, but what's at the heart of the worldhack?...

When it was released, the Oriental Adventures Worldhack for FRUA included lengthy discussion on the Yahoo group site for FRUA.  Though one of its prime creators, Brian O'Donnell, is no longer with us both Darius Whiteheart and Hans are.  Both Darius and Hans have communicated here and on Yahoo regarding the worldhack.

There is a separate folder just for the OA Worldhack and the created modules that can be played with it, here: http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/hacks/OA_Worldhack/

The OASetup.zip contains html documentation that has been provided by its creators with separate player's manual and a designer's manual.

It is a shame that interest is outweighed by sloth.

A much more in-depth procedural of the ins and outs of the OA Worldhack would best be described by its creators, as I am just one of the fans who followed the inception, creation, and conclusion of the project when it was begun years ago.  Brian O'Donnell's specific works have been highlighted by his own articles in the UA newsletters over the years, and without his direct influence and explanation, our own nologgie has picked apart some of the coding of some of the customised toolset events that Brian created.

I could download some documentation.  But, what if I want to know without going to all that work?  What if I want to sticky the information to the top of this board?  What if I just want to be lazy?

When Hans released his latest venture, The Snow-Woman's Daughters (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2071.msg27507#msg27507), he included a link to the documentation file... a text that clearly describes the process by which to enjoy the offering.  Likewise, the documentation accompanying the worldhack itself is pretty clear.  I can only feel bad for the frustration that must attend a designer whose hour and hours and hours of investment is foiled by laziness.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Tell Me About OAUA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
Sorry, perhaps I am being too clever for my own good.  Here's what I'm really trying to say:

Help me create a sticky of information about OAUA so that people who are interested in it and members of the forum can find this information easily without having to do a lot of research. (We have done this for other things on the forum, after all).

If no one wants to, that's okay.  But, that's the challenge that I've thrown down.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/