Author Topic: Icon requests for Uatu  (Read 45543 times)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Icon requests for Uatu
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
I was reading through my trusty, rusty copy of Manual fo the Planes just this morning, and while reading the section on the Inner Planes, I noticed something that I have paid little attention to before now - the creature encounter charts for each of the Elemental Planes. :)

What really sparked my interest were the elemental version of normal monsters - according to the book, they are as exactly as they are in the MM, but live in an Elemental Plane, and probably look all "elemental". :)

I'm requesting the following, some of which could easily be recolors. :)

Aerial Owlbears
Air Leprechaun
Giant Aerial Rats

Flame Goblin
Flame  Griffon
Flame Otyugh
Flame Roper

Earth Pegasus
Earth Treant
Giant Earth Slug

Elemental Displacer Beast (Water)
Elemental Elephant (asian)(Water)
Giant Elemental Weasel (Water)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Icon requests for Uatu
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
Ooh, could we have a giant elemental otter rather than weasel? Seems more watery.

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »
I picked the G.E.W. 'cause Uatu already has a Giant Weasel icon - he could just do a recolor. :D (Plus, I'm not sure if an otter is on the list)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:24:56 PM »
Oh, that's fine.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »
The "animentals" are a bit difficult in that they seem to not actually necessarily resemble their Prime Material Plane counterparts - plus, the elemental planes themselves are often quite difficult to see in (especially earth and fire).

Thus, it would be a rather abstract exercise, I think (the Manual of the Planes also says that the elementals themselves look different in the Inner Planes - the icons I have done already are technically what everything looks like when seen in the Prime).

Doing abstract icons are fun (less constraints), though...  It would be neat to see what water elephants, earth slugs, etc. look like.  Not sure what to do for air animentals, though, as they would more or less be invisible  :P
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
I should have prefaced all of this by saying that these are as much idle fancies as requests (no designs or even design ideas hang in the balance waiting for a flame otyugh). :D I just thought that they would be cool!

I don't think that animentals (which makes me think of monkeys wearing turbans and predicting the contents of envelopes) are invisible on their respective planes. Look at geniekind for example - the different kinds correspond to different elemental planes, yet they are all easy to see. :) I think the fire bat is a good example of a flame animental - it's just a big freakin' bat with flames on it. Okay, not the best example as that may actually appear somewhat invisible on the Elemental Plane of Fire... But the picture in MMII is less flamey than your icon, Uatu - it's got fiery eyes and flames at the tips of it's wings.

In this vein, I imagine that an Air Leprechaun looks just like a regular leprechaun, except instead of a bright green suit, he's wearing a sky-blue suit. :) Well, I'm actually picturing a leprechaun in a 70s polyester, baby-blue suit while he dances the "Hustle", but that's really more my problem than it is yours. ;)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
Personally, I would prefer it if Uatu focussed on icons for more 'standard' monsters like those that appeared in FRUA, such as liches and ettins. But... beggars can't be choosers!

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
Well, if truth be told, and Uatu were only to work in one area, I would prefer that he work on more devils and then start doing some demons, daemons and demodands. ;)

The reality of it is that I'm happy to get any of Uatu's icons as they all totally rock. :D Like his whale icons - I can't imagine ever writing a design that will use them, but they are super cool to look at. :)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
Uatu, you recent icons - like all of your icons - look superb. Any chance of posting both the recolored and unrecolored versions on the page that shows all of your icons?

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
What I would really love to see is an icon for a Sivak Draconian, 1 square high by 2 wide, hovering in the air just above the ground and weilding a large serrated two handed sword... ;)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »
What I would really love to see is an icon for a Sivak Draconian, 1 square high by 2 wide, hovering in the air just above the ground and weilding a large serrated two handed sword... ;)

Ooh! Me too. :)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »
Or, if hovering is too hard, just standing on the ground would be fine.

Here is a bit of an example of what I have in mind:

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
I vote for the figurine. :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 01:05:48 AM »
Actually, I think that the genies are some of the more visible of the elemental-type creatures (I guess that they are not "pure" elementals perhaps, maybe made of a number of materials).

But anyway, I thought I remembered the Manual of the Planes saying something about air animentals being for the most part invisible, while other planes (such as fire or earth) just have poor visibility because they are that way (can't really see much when stuck in a pile of earth, for example).

Re: whales - a water whale would be kind of cool... :D  As for devils, I've almost done all of them already!  ;)

As for the Sivak - as rather large creatures, they're somewhat tough, but if you guys ever start a Dragonlance mod, I'd be happy to try my luck.  (Plus, I've already got a bit of a list of stuff to do first (including the meazel I promised SilentThief :D  Some stuff is redundant, but I've already some half-icons sitting around that want to be colored as well...).

But glad you guys like the icons, makes me happy ;D  Time is becoming an ever-more precious commodity, though, I hope I can continue to churn out stuff (and someday make a mod, too!)...
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
The meazel isn't something that is make or break for a mod idea, more along the lines of an "it would be cool if...", so if the meazel is holding up other projects by all means take your time, forget about it even.

ST the not-so-measly