Author Topic: Hero Craft - Icons  (Read 5846 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Hero Craft - Icons
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2017, 02:24:45 AM »
This thread is indeed interesting for both the quality of the art and for "comic historical" information.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
I completely agree. :D I have sseeen lots of characters that I am not familiar with an dhave gone over comic books db to chem them out. :)

B y the way, Dinon ykos, for the Hero Craft project we are going to need some icons for Player Characters, i.e. original icons, if you feel that you wanted to do some. ;) But, I will be very happy with some "comic book" walls.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »
Doing "want-to-be heroes" from scratch sounds interesting. I guess that means also that some characters may wear comic-style costumes...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
They can be "want to be" heroes, established heroes, SIDEKICKS, ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF. I think we will need some who wear capes, some who wear masks, some who fly, some who are buff, etc. etc. :) I am thinking mostly of generic "hero types", but to be honest, if peoople want to do their own hero or villain characters with supporting artwork, we can add those, too.

Per the other thread, I am only doiing 100 NPCs for the release, because that is a lot and seemed like a really good place to stop. There will be 25 each DC Heroes, DC Villains, Marvel Heroes and Mavel Villains. After the release, I am going to focus on the heroes and villains I like and plan on using for my module.
However, if other people want to do the work for their own characters that they think others might like to use, I would be willing to add them to the project for it's release, or host on the same page for an add-on or post links if the person wants to do put it on their own web page. If you areinterested, let me know, and I can share with you the template I am using for NPCs, with annotation. 8)

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »
...and here are the final 3 Golden Age Villain Icons.

Captain Swastika (MLJ)
Hangman Comics #2-3
Leader of a legion of Nazi saboteurs in America
Powers: Super Strength, Mastermind

The Green Mummy (Prize)
Prize Comics #20
Leader of a gang of jewel thieves
Powers: Undead, Regeneration, Cause Disease

Vapine (United)
Tip Top Comics #57
Powers: Hypnosis, Mental Domination
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »
...and here are smallPics for the final 7 Golden Age Super Villains.

King Frio - (Eastern Color)
Frozen Zombie - (Eastern Color)
Lava Man (Eastern Color)
Spider Woman (Eastern Color)
Captain Swastika (MLJ)
The Green Mummy (Prize)
Vapine (United)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
More Nazis! Thank you. :D

I love how it made perfect sense to someone to have a leader of a gang of jewwel thieves be the "Green Mummy". Because that makes total sense... ;)

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
I have taken some liberties with the super powers for some of the villains. During the Golden Age, almost every villain was either 1) An enemy combatant for one of the axis powers or 2) A normal human criminal. In the case of The Green Mummy, he was just a normal human who wore a mummy costume to hide his true identity. As is typical in these stories, the hero unmasks the super villain on the last page of the story (see Scooby Doo, for example). I thought it would be more interesting if the Green Mummy were actually an undead creature.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2017, 01:06:37 PM »
Sounds good to me. :D Every new writer brings some kind of update or innovation to the characters they use in comics and in films based on the comics. I see know reason why we should do the same if that is what we want to do. Who is to say that if the Green Mummy hadn't gotten featured in more books that he wouldn't have been turned into a mummy or turned out to be a mummy along, disguised by magic or something? ;)

I think this is a good reason for any designer to use minor and/or obscure characters because you can change them into what you want without breaking the more established characters.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »
Yes, a green mummy without "mummy powers" would be quite boring...

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »

Yes, a green mummy without "mummy powers" would be quite boring...

That would make him a duddy

:P

ST

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2017, 12:02:25 AM »
I think this is a good reason for any designer to use minor and/or obscure characters because you can change them into what you want without breaking the more established characters.

That was part of my motivation to search through Golden Age Comics looking for obscure villains that look interesting but don't have a mountain of history beneath them. The copyrights have expired and the characters only appeared in one or two issues. I'm guessing the "Green Mummy" story was something that Jack Binder drew in about one week 75 years ago.

The Puzzler (Nedor) comes with fewer expectations for behavior than the Riddler (DC) despite having an almost identical modus operandi. The Puzzler appeared six months after the Riddler, never had his secret identity named, and was caught by the Black Terror and sent to jail on the last page of the only story he ever appeared in. I guess the Black Terror is just a more effective super hero than Batman. That other guy's villains never seem to stay in jail for long.  ;)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »

That was part of my motivation to search through Golden Age Comics looking for obscure villains that look interesting but don't have a mountain of history beneath them. The copyrights have expired and the characters only appeared in one or two issues. I'm guessing the "Green Mummy" story was something that Jack Binder drew in about one week 75 years ago.
I find this very inspirational. When I am done with Hero Craft, or at least more done, I want to do a deep dive into some classic comics for these purposes. :)

Quote from: Nol Drek
The Puzzler (Nedor) comes with fewer expectations for behavior than the Riddler (DC) despite having an almost identical modus operandi. The Puzzler appeared six months after the Riddler, never had his secret identity named, and was caught by the Black Terror and sent to jail on the last page of the only story he ever appeared in. I guess the Black Terror is just a more effective super hero than Batman. That other guy's villains never seem to stay in jail for long.  ;)
I've actually been thinking about giving one of my designs a villain named "The Googler" that is in almost all ways like the Riddler.
Good point about that bat-guy, too. You would think with as many times as the inmates have broken out of Arkham Assylum, that they would consider using another facility.

Offline hans

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Nol, I notice how your last sets of portraits are CG.  I'm guessing that you used the same program to create the bases for both your portraits and icons.  Maybe you could put together a little tutorial of how you're creating these, for those folks who'd like to create their own personalized characters...?