Author Topic: Gold Box games cheat codes  (Read 10045 times)

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
Re: Gold Box games cheat codes
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
Actually, advancement for humans was unlimited in first edition AD&D.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »
Actually I'm doing a 2e conversion of basic rather than DL, but I think most of it should transfer. Monster thac0s are considerably different, and I know there are differences in XP and some weapon allowances. I know there are things like weapon specialization that I don't think UA can handle, but DC probably could. I'll have to study the books to find the differences and see what can be implemented in UA, and keep a separate list for DC.  ;)
Gotcha.

I need to finish my 2e project, too. The goal is identical to yours, but for DC. :) I am trying to make it as painless as possible for designer to use 2e rules instead of 1e. So far, so good. :) Of course, I haven't gotten to any of the good stuff yet, like actually updating the databases or THAC0 tables, etc.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
I meant Dragonlance not regular AD&D, where humans were unlimited and all other races got fleeced. As I recall the pen and paper version had a level limit of 18 for all PCs, but the computer game did not. I no longer have a copy of the 1E book to check this out.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
You're right, there's an 18-level limit for human PCs in DragonLance:

Quote from: DragonLance Adventures page 13
Player characters in other worlds can advance to unlimited levels, but not in Krynn.  Once a player character advances beyond 18th level, the gods of Krynn fell that it is time to reassign him to some other world.  Fortunately for the lovers of Krynn, advancement beyond 18th level is not mandatory.  Your PC has the unique ability to refuse such advance ment (and thereby stay within the world of Krynn).  It is up to you.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »
Spelljammer was apparently developed privately, not by SSI per se. Hence it should be very different. I glanced at a couple of tables of contents in some files, they looked more like glb than dax, they might be unrelated to either.

Offline Baronnecro

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »
anyone ever thought of a SJUA HACK? that would take some work. and i think impossible because it has MORE items, not less or same amount (and new MAGIC items). maybe use the Sci-fi mods and also expedition to barrier peaks?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »
I didn't care for the Spelljammer GB game. It plays very differently (at least as far as I got in it).

I have never actually played Spelljammer via computer or pen and paper, though I had bought the box set but my gaming group was so not into it. :(

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
I have never played it at all.
One problem might be: games actually written by SSI always had you saving the world or at least a continent. Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace is more like a typical D&D module and less history-shattering.
As for SJUA, there might be problems with the space navigation view, that might be a bit complex for FRUA.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:10:29 AM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 03:20:43 AM »
Treaures of the Savage Frontier, in the Game.ovr file you find NWN-style Walk mode code at 68,202. It is also found elsewhere. I have no idea how to activate it. In TSF there is no GM button at the bottom of the screen.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »
I have never played it at all.
One problem might be: games actually written by SSI always had you saving the world or at least a continent. Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace is more like a typical D&D module and less history-shattering.
As for SJUA, there might be problems with the space navigation view, that might be a bit complex for FRUA.
I died in Spelljammer several times. Heres what you are told:

In the months that follow your untimely demise, the ruthless Neogi extend their web of control across Realmspace. The denizens of the various worlds fight valiantly against the encroaching tide, but each city that falls victim to the alien spider people provides a new batch of expendable slaves to do their master's bidding. Eventually, almost two years after the anniversary of your capture, the last effective pocket of resistance is wiped out and the entire system is plunged into a dark age of slavery and bloodshed...

Not sure why it says "your capture". Anyway, I think only Hillsfar, the original Eye of the Beholder, Menzoberranzan, Stone Prophet and Strahd's Possession don't have you saving the world. And Dungeon Hack. Possibly Descent into Undermountain.

EDIT: Don't want to post twice off-topic so I'll edit instead.

All I remember about Menzoberranzan is you follow some drow slavers to the underdark and the tunnel collapses behind you. And you can free the slaves. All I remember about Strahd's Possession is the empty land outside and the fact I could never find and kill some of the undead even with the cluebook. Don't remember the plot. I remember more of Stone Prophet, but the area can't be much bigger than 20 miles by 20 miles, and it only has one town of several thousand people, so I don't consider that a big event. I think Xanathar was more of a nuisance than a big deal by computer gaming standards. So Hillsfar, Eye of the Beholder, Stone Prophet, Strahd's Possession and Dungeon Hack are my votes for AD&D games that don't have world-alterring plots.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:09:21 PM by GoldBoxFan »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »
Menzoberranzan: you save a village full of people as well as Drizzt. You also stop Houses getting their hands on the full Helm of Spiders, an awesome and deadly artifact.
Stone Prophet: you save the realm of Har'Akir.
Eye of the Beholder 1: you save Waterdeep from the crime cult.

Offline Baronnecro

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 01:40:13 PM »
Stone Prophet: you save the realm of Har'Akir.

Bah! a desert I only save room for dessert.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
"All I remember about Strahd's Possession is the empty land outside and the fact I could never find and kill some of the undead even with the cluebook."
If you mean the dungeon where that tax collector shows up along with the haughty female spellcaster, there I had to alter the save game file just to gain entrance to a small room containing undead. There was nothing there apart from a toggle to open the door and a couple of skeletons.

"Don't remember the plot. "
Kill Strahd and escape Ravenloft.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 03:14:36 AM »
Now, the cheat codes listed by Simeon Pilgrim date to a time well before Gog games. To make them work for Gog is not at all hard. Champions of Krynn will be used as an example.
(1) In Windows Explorer, go to the main CK directory find a file called "Launch Champions of Krynn".
(2) Right-click on this file, this leads to a context menu. Go the bottom of the menu and click on Properties. You will find six tabs, go to the Shortcut tab, in the Target field you will find something like:
"C:\OldGames\Champions of Krynn\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "..\dosboxChampionsOfKrynn.conf" -conf "..\dosboxChampionsOfKrynn_single.conf" -noconsole -c exit
(3) This means that the CK game takes its configuration data from two files:
dosboxChampionsOfKrynn.conf
dosboxChampionsOfKrynn_single.conf
(4) Open each file in a text editor, Notepad will do. First file is routine but the second file has an interesting section:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@echo off
mount C ".."
c:
cls
start
exit
(5) Here "start" means run start.exe. Now the cheat code Simeon found for Champions of Krynn is 'start.exe Woof Helm'. So just replace "start" with "start.exe Woof Helm", omit quotes.
(6) Save the conf file and you are done. You only need to do this once.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:10:29 AM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 03:12:59 AM »
See Simeon Pilgrim's starting post on page 1 for any notes he made, as well as the hacked program for Gateway to the Savage Frontier.

Gog games where this worked:
    Pool of Radiance cheat code is 'start.exe STING'
    Curse of the Azure Bonds cheat code is 'start.exe STING Wooden'
    Secrets of the Silver Blade cheat code is 'start.exe Hoop Gem'
    Pools of Darkness cheat code is 'game.exe 2 2 Helm'
    FRUA, see note below

Gateway to the Savage Frontier currently needs a hacked executable and the cheat code is 'game.exe Super Wooden'. Press the Z button to activate, not Alt + X.
   Treasures of the Savage Frontier: 'game.exe 2 2 Helm'

Champions of Krynn cheat code is 'start.exe Woof Helm'. Gog has straight "start".
    Death Knights of Krynn cheat code is 'start.exe anything Helm'
    The Dark Queen of Krynn, pressing Alt + X results in the message: "That doesn't work". This message will appear in the games above if you have not made the correct alterations to the startup files.

Notes:
Omit all quotes when typing above codes.

Gold Box Companion stopped working with Pools of Darkness after I did the cheat code alterations!?

Pools of Darkness: dosbox_pod_single.conf sends you to "start" which seems to be Start.bat, which sends you to "startup" which is Startup.exe. Somehow this should start Game.exe. In Start.bat I replaced the "startup" with the cheat code. PD was run on its original settings once, before I altered Start.bat, this ensured that it was installed properly by Startup.exe.
Ditto Treasures of the Savage Frontier.

FRUA:
Offline nologgie   Re: Savage Frontier Hub
Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 03:40:56 AM
I don't have a type-in code for FRUA, but adding
1f102 74 90
1f103 10 90
to the diff.tbl turns on the "win" button in play mode.

Gateway to the Savage Frontier: second line of Go.bat starts as:
game UseStart
this was altered to:
game.exe Super Wooden
Original version of Game.exe was renamed to Original Game.exe. Simeon's altered version of Game.exe was then moved into the main GSF folder.

Treasures of the Savage Frontier: first line of Start.bat starts as:
startup
this was altered to:
game.exe 2 2 Helm

Gog foibles:
Pool of Radiance has its pregenerated save game starting in the Slums not in the Docks? Party thus misses the entire introductory tour.
Gateway to the Savage Frontier has no such game.

You may need the list of passwords for some games:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1234.0;attach=3919
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:50:41 AM by Ishad Nha »

anything