Author Topic: Enemy not moving in combat  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Enemy not moving in combat
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »
I have an enemy in one of my combats who refuses to move, even though his base movement is 12.

He also doesn't possess any ranged weapons... Is he just lazy? Is there a hidden laziness score that I accidentally set to zero?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

Re: Enemy not moving in combat
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
Hey Ben.  I ran into this bug as well, but I can't recall the specifics other than this:  I had imported an NPC creature into a regular creature slot for editing, then changed my mind and imported a creature from another design over this imported NPC-in-a-regular-creature slot.

Aside from that, there are a few things that you can post here that might make it easier to ascertain the root of the problem:

* what items, if any, are placed onto the creature in question? Are any of them particularly cumbersome (eg: Full Plate Mail)?

* what class(es) and level(s) in each have been accorded the creature in question, particularly caster classes?

* retest the combat with your game messaging speed slowed down - did you notice any combat messages firing for the creature in question?

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
Thanks for your answers, Keith!

* what items, if any, are placed onto the creature in question? Are any of them particularly cumbersome (eg: Full Plate Mail)?

No, the creature carries nothing.

* what class(es) and level(s) in each have been accorded the creature in question, particularly caster classes?

The creature has a pretty high fighter level. Since I made the first posting, I noticed that the class was set to "mage", but the levels were as a fighter. So I set the creature to "fighter", and got it to move exactly once, at the beginning of the fight, and then it just stands there, no matter what happens.

* retest the combat with your game messaging speed slowed down - did you notice any combat messages firing for the creature in question?

No, the dumb thing is just "guarding", and only attacks with its breath weapon, or when PCs are on adjacent squares.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
Okay Ben.  Round two of questions:

* what specabs, if any, does the creature have assigned to it?  (list all, please)

* what, exactly as shown, are the creature's attacks and damage spreads as set for it?

* have you tested this creature in combat, by itself vs. the party, where it has surprise initiative and is set to close automatically?

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
* what specabs, if any, does the creature have assigned to it?  (list all, please)

Ok, here we go:

• Immune Weapons <+2
  • Immune Fire
  • Half Damage Weapons
  • Dragon Fire
  • Immune Fear

* what, exactly as shown, are the creature's attacks and damage spreads as set for it?

Attack 1: 3 Blows 1 D20

Attack 2: 3 Blows 2 D8

* have you tested this creature in combat, by itself vs. the party, where it has surprise initiative and is set to close automatically?

No, but I'll try that. Thanks.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
Ben, I have duplicated the creature specified to your terms.

* have you edited the creature with anything other than the defualt FRUA program running through UAShell (or on its own)?

Otherwise,  final things to try:

* combat the creature by itself vs. the party with the party set to quick combat actions.

* copy creature into a like slot (NPC to NPC, regular creature to regular creature, * creature to * creature) and remove all caster levels, keep all fighter levels, combat the creature vs. the party under normal conditions.

The SPECAB Dragonbreath does funny things, even when assigned to a dragon, in that caster levels seem to interfere with the creature's combat ai : a mage seems to have an ai queue that tells it to expend spells/targets at range until a)out of targets or b)out of spells (including casting useless-to-the-situation spells), then attempts ranged combat and failing ranged weapons, closes for melee attacks.  In my testing, I tried a creature with sole caster levels (magic-user, then druid) with a relatively high intelligence (17) and it cast its sole ranged radial damage spell before closing and using its breath weapon 3x, then reverted to the seeming-usual caster ai.  I tried the creature with sole fighter levels (fighter only), and the creature approached the party, breathed only once, then closed for melee until end of combat.  I tested all 3 creatures twice, once in dungeon combat and once in wilderness combat, each.

I'll be very interested to know if this results similarly for you.

(edit: finished typing, heh)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:10:08 PM by Kaz-Keith »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »
Ben, I have duplicated the creature specified to your terms.

* have you edited the creature with anything other than the defualt FRUA program running through UAShell (or on its own)?

Nope. It's just a regular guy. Except that he's big (four-square icon), but that can't be the reason, because there's plenty of room to move.

He's also very old. Maybe the program thinks "he's too old to move"?

Otherwise,  final things to try:

* combat the creature by itself vs. the party with the party set to quick combat actions.

* copy creature into a like slot (NPC to NPC, regular creature to regular creature, * creature to * creature) and remove all caster levels, keep all fighter levels, combat the creature vs. the party under normal conditions.

Okay, when I get back home, I will try it. But the creature doesn't have any caster levels anymore, just fighter levels.
Well, I'll see.

There's also a fighter/cleric/mage in the same combat who never uses any spells. :(
Released designs:

The Sect

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
He's also very old. Maybe the program thinks "he's too old to move"?

That's an interesting question.

1)At what Age do "Age" effects happen?
2) What Race is your PC?
3) 200 year old Humans don't fare well. 200 year old Elves are fine.
4) What is the Age when a PC crashes the game, by Race?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 12:46:30 AM »
That's an interesting question.

1)At what Age do "Age" effects happen?
2) What Race is your PC?
3) 200 year old Humans don't fare well. 200 year old Elves are fine.
4) What is the Age when a PC crashes the game, by Race?

The race is monster (it's not a PC, but an enemy).

I think there is no age limit for monsters, or is there?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
I put the character in question into a solo fight with the party, gave him initiative and set him to "far away".
In this combat, he now moves towards the party until he's in range, and then firing the dragon breath.

I remember that in my game, he won't move and only uses his breath when the PCs are not standing near his allies.
And when his three bouts of Dragon Breath are spent, he just stands there and attacks only when someone is standing right next to him.

But settings in the monster editor are the same for both combats. I don't know why the creature acts so different. Hmmmm.  :-\

There's also a fighter/cleric/mage in the same combat who never uses any spells. :(

I figured out how to make this guy fire his spells and use ranged weapons, but it's odd.

I remember that in the original version of the game, fighter/mage enemies worked fine, even as human enemies.

Now, fighter/mages won't use spells, and won't use ranged weapons (probably also won't use normal weapons as well, I don't know that at the moment).

The solution was weird:

Setting the fighter levels lower than the mage levels. Now he's attacking and casting spells. When the levels were equal, he was sometimes just standing there like an idiot.

Another strange thing is that a mage can cast cleric-only spells like "flame strike" even when he has not a single cleric level.

The combat system confuses me sometimes often.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:24:59 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 04:39:20 PM »
The solution was weird:

Setting the fighter levels lower than the mage levels. Now he's attacking and casting spells. When the levels were equal, he was sometimes just standing there like an idiot.

There is a "Mage Guard Only" function (see CKITForm.txt) built into the AI which prevents mages from charging into melee when they still have spells left, and it is usually a good thing.

It seems to be based on the mage level set in the monster editor, and if the mage level is highest, the monster is controlled as a mage.

Another strange thing is that a mage can cast cleric-only spells like "flame strike" even when he has not a single cleric level.

If you edit a fighter, give levels as mage and cleric, memorize cleric and mage spells, then set the mage and cleric levels back to zero, the fighter will be able to cast the spells. Once a spell is in the monster data file as memorized, it can be cast, regardless of class.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
If you edit a fighter, give levels as mage and cleric, memorize cleric and mage spells, then set the mage and cleric levels back to zero, the fighter will be able to cast the spells. Once a spell is in the monster data file as memorized, it can be cast, regardless of class.

This would mean that I could set the guy to fighter, and then he would still be able to cast the mage spells? Nice, I've got to try that.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »
I've used it to simulate monsters using items such as Wands of Magic Missiles. It still shows up as "casts", and is subject to casting restrictions (such as not being able to cast if hit earlier in the round), but it's better than nothing.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.