Author Topic: OAUA & Hacking  (Read 7907 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
OAUA & Hacking
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:10:03 AM »
I know I've asked similar questions before, but please bear with me.   :-[

To what degree is OAUA compatible with hacks? I assume title pics, frame, always icons, backdrops, pics, big pics and sprite are safe to import by copying or using TOOLBOX? What about wildland & dungeon combat art, PC & combat icons, combat sprites, wall art? Safe, too? Or are there any problems with the palette?

I guess CKIT hacks are off-limits, at least for designers who'd need to resort to UA tools and are not prepared to use hex editors and the like? So no changing in-game text, number of party members etc.? What about sounds (voc) and music (xmi)? And how does one go about adding new music?

Can anyone enlighten me again? Thanks!  :)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: OAUA & Hacking
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:30:48 AM »
Okay, I've found the answers to most of these questions myself (in the official OAUA manual, who'd have thought!  :o Heh.  :-[ ):

Importing new pics and sprites are as simple as within standard FRUA.  Walls, backdrops, titles, music and most other art can easily be imported with Toolbox or whatever tools you are accustomed to using.  It's the wildernesses, dungeons and icons that you have to be careful with, because we've changed the default UA palette around a bit to remove the duplicate colors and insert four color-cycling ranges.

OTHER HACKS

Short answer: I wouldn't try it.  Most of the programs hackers are familiar with through UAShell are simply incompatible with the OA Worldhack due to the extent of CKIT hacks in effect.

That covers art & ckit hack. Now the only questions that remain unanswered are those about sound and music.

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »
I replaced all the xmi tunes for each of my OA mods, so UAShell has no problem switching those.  I assume sound effect changes would be no different. 

And, just to confirm, I changed about every type of art in those mods, except the font, too, no problems, except that Wildernesses, Combat Dungeons (and, hence, Cbody &Combat Icons) use a different palette.

...So, when can we expect an OA mod from you, Olivier...?   :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:53:44 PM by hans »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
...So, when can we expect an OA mod from you, Olivier...?   :)

Not too soon, I fear. I'm always torn between the many projects I've begun in UA, and if that wouldn't have been enough already I often also toy with the thought of doing something smallscale in NWN...

As for the OAUA projects, I haven't given up on the Lone Wolf & Cub design yet (but I haven't really started it either, apart from a little artwork). This would probably shape into a story-telling mini-mod at best - hopefully comparable to Darius' TMNT - and it's a bit of a waste because even though I'd do it in OAUA, it probably wouldn't have much to with the worldhack and its potential.

The other idea was a tutorial design for OAUA because I think what makes designers shy away from using OAUA is the unfamiliarity with the setting, classes, items etc. In any case it's what always makes me shy away from it, even though I thought about doing an OAUA design more than once. So, to educate myself (force myself to read the manual  ;) ) and allow other players & designers to learn by playing (and skip reading the manual), I thought of a manual disguised as a tutorial design. But I'm still scared by the story part (I have trouble with thinking up good stories even in settings I'm more or less familiar with). I started such a design last year (I think) but soon lost interest in it again (as so often).

I also thought about doing a totally non-canonic bogus OA mod (aside from the fact that OA is a bogus setting itself  ;) ) and base that mod on exploration and hack 'n' slash dungeon crawling only, to demonstrate the features of OAUA and have a little fun designing without the shackles of a storyline. Not sure if that would work and be fun to play though. Besides, I'm not known for my interest in the technical side of UA and my skills in balancing combat, heh.

In any case, I think it's a shame Brian and Darius' (and all the other folks) worked so hard to create OAUA - and everyone's loving it, I bet - but still noone but you, OA expert hans, actually makes use of it (me neither).  :( 

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »
My OA mods have used the Worldhack, but virtually none of the specific OA p&p game universe mythos.  They've simply been Japanese fantasies.  The last, Toudai-Oni, was inspired by a minor incident (one paragraph) I read in a book on Japanese mythology.  A plot from a samurai comicbook, like Lone Wolf & Cub, could just as easily be turned into a mod (in fact, I had considered that, myself).  Those plots often revolve around one simple social fixture or custom from historical Japan (then adding to it characters motivated by revenge or greed). 

IMHO, folks shouldn't worry about how faithful they're being to the genre.  Even Japan's pop culture most of the time plays pretty fast and loose with elements of their own history.   

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 03:34:47 AM »
I agree but that's easier said than done. And do you really want to play an OAUA design centered around a gang of outlawed sorcerers that I call samurais and cute animals I call ninjas, providing you with a bunch of funny named equipment your class can't use?  ;)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:01:58 AM »
I haven't quite grasped how to handle event conditions in OAUA. Should I use kailung for all of them, just in case, or are there some that are safe to use in the editor? Is it that kailung offers some that aren't available in the editor or are all event conditions available in the editor too but won't work correctly if I don't use kailung to set them?

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:05:08 AM »
Kailung?  ???
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 05:41:12 AM »
Yeah, I'm trying to find out what exactly that is, too.  ;D

I mean I know it's a tool written by Brian to handle some of the new event conditions in OAUA that the editor can't handle but I'm not sure yet to what extent I'd need to make use of it.

The manual says:
A warning: while the new event conditions are selectable within UA, choosing them can be buggy to the point of messing with your geo, so until we can work that out (if ever), I strongly recommend you follow the directions in the article and use the OA editor Kailung to handle those bonus event conditions.

I just wonder which event conditions exactly are safe to use in the editor? All events I know from FRUA? Or are some of them modified, too, and could cause problems? For example, can I check for the new races and classes in the editor or could that cause bugs?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:01:05 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:31:32 AM »
That sounds quite complicated.

But a more important question arises: Are you working on an OAUA module?  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
Not yet, but as stated above, I'm always toying with the idea. And right now the chances for succumbing to that temptations are a little higher than starting work on "2cities: Weaxan" even though I've got some ideas for that, too. But I think it's time OAUA gets its due and my unfamiliarity with it also makes that project kind of exciting for me.  :)

I'd like to learn more about OAUA and let players partake in what I've learned, so my hope is it will eventually serve as an enjoyable introduction to OAUA classes. Like an in-game manual but ideally showing, not telling.

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »
I haven't discovered a need for Kailung, yet, after several well-playtested OA mods which have used a number of new events (Macho, Do Good, Special Ability, and, IIRC, Set Time). 

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 05:52:39 AM »
I just wonder which event conditions exactly are safe to use in the editor? All events I know from FRUA?

I haven't discovered a need for Kailung, yet, after several well-playtested OA mods which have used a number of new events (Macho, Do Good, Special Ability, and, IIRC, Set Time). 

Sorry, I actually meant "event conditions" not "events" in my quote above.  :-[ AFAIK, kailung isn't needed for the new events like Macho, Do Good etc. but it's the event conditions I worry about. Have you made use of them, too? E.g. if I want to check if a sohei is in the party, is it safe to set that condition in the editor or should I use kailung for it?

And I wonder what conditions Darius referred to that can be "buggy to the point of messing with your geo". Seems like he knows what he's talking about...  :-\

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 09:18:56 AM »
Hm, I just wanted to test a simple combat in a one-square hut with just one bakemono and I got this weird graphical bug:

To be on the safe side I did a clean re-install of OAUA once again but that didn't make a difference. I also had some troubles with the installation at first and then found out they were exactly the same I wrote about one year ago. Sadly, the thread also reminded me what had tempered my enthusiasm to design with OAUA last time...  :-\

BTW, are any eventual OAUA ckit bugs beyond repair now that the mastermind behind those hacks has left us?  :'(

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:39:32 AM »
I have played two games that required OAUA, and something like this has never happened.  :-\
Released designs:

The Sect

anything