Poll

What are your favorite Cleric spells from FRUA?

Bless
4 (3.6%)
Curse
0 (0%)
Cause Light Wounds
1 (0.9%)
Cure Light Wounds
10 (8.9%)
Detect Magic
9 (8%)
Protection from Evil
0 (0%)
Protection from Good
0 (0%)
Resist Cold
0 (0%)
Find Traps
1 (0.9%)
Hold Person
18 (16.1%)
Resist Fire
0 (0%)
Silence 15 Radius
7 (6.3%)
Slow Poison
1 (0.9%)
Snake Charm
0 (0%)
Spiritual Hammer
0 (0%)
Bestow Curse
0 (0%)
Cause Blindness
1 (0.9%)
Cure Blindness
0 (0%)
Cause Disease
0 (0%)
Cure Disease
0 (0%)
Dispel Magic
12 (10.7%)
Prayer
6 (5.4%)
Remove Curse
0 (0%)
Cause Serious Wounds
0 (0%)
Cure Serious Wounds
1 (0.9%)
Neutralize Poison
1 (0.9%)
Poison
0 (0%)
Protection from Evil 10 Radius
0 (0%)
Sticks to Snakes
1 (0.9%)
Cause Critical Wounds
0 (0%)
Cure Critical Wounds
2 (1.8%)
Dispel Evil
0 (0%)
Flame Strike
5 (4.5%)
Raise Dead
2 (1.8%)
Slay Living
1 (0.9%)
Blade Barrier
12 (10.7%)
Harm
2 (1.8%)
Heal
7 (6.3%)
Destruction
0 (0%)
Energy Drain
0 (0%)
Resurrection
7 (6.3%)
Restoration
1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Favorite Spells: Cleric Edition  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Favorite Spells: Cleric Edition
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:21:27 AM »
Welcome to the second round of the great spell survey!

The Magic-User poll was dominated by aggressive and damage-inducing spells. Clerics don't have many of those, instead they have lots of spells that are necessary ("cure disease"), but not necessarily anyone's favorite, so the results should be interesting.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: Favorite Spells: Cleric Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
I chose "Cure Light Wounds" (as a representative for all healing spells), "Detect Magic", "Hold Person", "Dispel Magic" (for those annoying cases when someone turns my own party members against me) and for high levels "Resurrection", of course. Actually I think I don't like a lot of the cleric spells in UA. Sure, some are useful to counteract some evil but still ... boring. Most of the time my clerics act like melee fighters. (As was to be expected by someone with a primitive and violent play-style.  ;) )

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:03:01 AM »
I chose "Cure Light Wounds" (as a representative for all healing spells), "Detect Magic", "Hold Person", "Dispel Magic" (for those annoying cases when someone turns my own party members against me) and for high levels "Resurrection", of course. Actually I think I don't like a lot of the cleric spells in UA. Sure, some are useful to counteract some evil but still ... boring. Most of the time my clerics act like melee fighters. (As was to be expected by someone with a primitive and violent play-style.  ;) )

Yes, when there's no need to cure or dispel anyone, my clerics would also often grab their maces and engange in blunt, ungodly violence.  :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:13:02 AM »
Clerics have become very powerful and attractive in 3rd edition games like NWN where they can summon creatures even at lower levels and planars at high levels, buff their Strength and Constitution up considerably and very early in the game, add fire damage to their weapons, cast lightning and, depending on their choice of domains, also cool spells like Ice Storm and Stone Skin. Yes, totally overpowered, I agree. I'm loving it!  ;D Compared to that UA clerics are really lame.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »
 I routinely have my clerics pray for Detect Magic to free my magic-users from that task.  Hold Person makes larger combats a lot easier for me, and Silence and Dispel Magic help to nullify enemy casters.  I savor Cause Blindness for leaders or high-damage heavy hitters.

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
Essential low-level spells are Cure Light Wounds, Detect Magic, Hold Person, and Dispel Magic.  That left me with only one pick for a higher spell, so I chose what's probably my favorite offensive cleric spell: Blade Barrier

Pool of Radiance had a spell I loved using, but was dropped for all the other Goldboxes, which was Animate Dead.  Zombie combat fun.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
Has anyone tried hacking Slow Poison into Animate Dead? Seems it would work as it resurrects a character and changes status...maybe change the 'okay' byte to 'animated'?

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
I forgot to ask which cleric spells you seldom or never use.

I for one rarely cast spells that cause various ailments on your enemies: Cause Blindness, Bestow Curse, Cause Disease. I think these work best when they are cast upon the party by enemy clerics, if just to annoy the player.  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Has anyone tried hacking Slow Poison into Animate Dead? Seems it would work as it resurrects a character and changes status...maybe change the 'okay' byte to 'animated'?

Since Slow Poison works as Neutralize Poison, and Neutralize Poison doesn't work as Neutralize Poison, it isn't one I'd care to lose.

I know the animated status is referenced in several spells, but I don't know of any monster that uses it, nor how to set a character to animated status except by direct editing.

Have you played with the animated status to see what it does? I like the idea of having Animate Dead, but I wonder how it could actually be made to work in FRUA, and how useful it would be.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »
Since Slow Poison works as Neutralize Poison, and Neutralize Poison doesn't work as Neutralize Poison, it isn't one I'd care to lose.

Hmmm... but "Neutralize Poison" cures poisoning and brings poisoned characters back to life. How do these two spells differ exactly?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »

In POR, it was both a camp and a combat spell.  In combat, it could bring back bad guys who were killed Dead at the beginning of the fight to then fight for the party for the duration of that fight.  Despite what the instruction book said, none of these zombies ever truly joined the party (no matter how often I tried the trick). 

In FRUA, I can't imagine it could be done as anything more than a camp spell, where a dead NPC could be brought back as an undead NPC, or a dead PC could be brought back as an undead NPC (freeing a slot for a new living PC to be added to the party, maybe).

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 01:49:18 AM »

Hmmm... but "Neutralize Poison" cures poisoning and brings poisoned characters back to life. How do these two spells differ exactly?

In FRUA, they don't seem to.

When used in combat, Neutralize Poison should be able to detoxify a poisonous creature. (Remove it's poison specab, in FRUA terms.)

Neither spell performs much like it's p&p counterpart, so what we have are two virtually identical spells. One takes up a 2nd level slot, and the other a 4th level slot.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 02:19:04 AM »
When used in combat, Neutralize Poison should be able to detoxify a poisonous creature. (Remove it's poison specab, in FRUA terms.)

I never tried to cast these spells on my enemies. Maybe I should.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 03:23:44 AM »

I never tried to cast these spells on my enemies. Maybe I should.

In FRUA, they're not usable in combat.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 05:11:11 AM »
In FRUA, they're not usable in combat.

It would have been cool if they had implemented that.

Essential low-level spells are Cure Light Wounds, Detect Magic, Hold Person, and Dispel Magic.  That left me with only one pick for a higher spell, so I chose what's probably my favorite offensive cleric spell: Blade Barrier

I also voted for the "Blade Barrier" spell.
When enemies are far away, I sometimes try to cast several of them in a row, to block the opponents' way. I call it the "Blade Barrier Reef".
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:12:47 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect