Author Topic: Dark Queen of Krynn Hub  (Read 16809 times)

Offline jhirvonen

Re: Dark Queen of Krynn Hub
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »
Silly question: the item list for DQK has a Foethumper +4. Has anyone ever gotten this?

Haven't found it, but...

Journal Entry 51: The Foethumper

The Foethumper is the weapon of a minoi warrior," says Benikobawoni, "not as random or clumsy as a broadsword- a complicated weapon for a complex era.

and the cluebook lists journal entry 51 as false.

A quote from certain Obi-wan Kenobi:
Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.

Since they have the item data I wonder if this is again the case of cut content.

Minoi is a gnome subtype in Krynn:
http://dragonlancenexus.com/lexicon/index.php?title=Minoi

Honestly this is the first time I ever read that entry. Hmm... maybe there are other interesting bits in these false journal entries.

Edit:
I checked the item data. The item type points to record 104 in ITEMS.DAT. That record is all blank so there are no equipment slot, class usability or damage dice definitions for the weapon. I added it to a character and when tried to ready it the game just displays "wrong class". It's the only item that points to a blank ITEMS.DAT record.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:31:10 PM by jhirvonen »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2016, 08:51:07 PM »
If you had the Foethumper, you would not want to use it anyway.
It is the technology of Krynnian Gnomes...
(Meaning it is plagued by a high chance of some form of mishap.)

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »
Thanks a lot! My guess is they were originally going to program it in but ran out of space and/or time to incorporate the backfires.

Now here's an interesting question: FRUA supposedly has the code from DQK (though the special ability list and items seem pinched directly from Pools of Darkness. Anyone tried some of the DQK abilities to see if there are some FRUA abilities we never got to use? I know the Draconian explosions (sadly) don't work...

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »
When Pools of Darkness and FRUA both occur in the Forgotten Realms their item lists are likely to be similar.
As FRUA and Dark Queen of Krynn are found on separate worlds there will be some differences. Even so, of items 1 through 254, 235 are found in all three of DQK, PD and FRUA.

Differences are caused by
(1) Unique Krynn item:
Footman's Dragonlance
(2) Krynn having separate White and Red Robe Wizards:
Red Mage Scroll 3 Spells, Red Mage Scroll 3 Spells, White Mage Scroll 3 Spells, White Mage Scroll 3 Spells
(3) Krynn has no Drow, subterranean Elves. Forgotten Realms has no Kender, Tinker Gnomes or Solamnic Knights.

Item #222, all three are cursed, so differences in item type is not important.
DQK item 202: Gauntlets Of Ogre Power, is the same as FRUA item 233.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:18:15 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2016, 12:19:01 AM »
I still want to create a "foethumper" item after reading the post about it. The name sounds like a dwarven hammer.

ST
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:21:57 AM by SilentThief »

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
Speaking of missing items, one of the weapons I liked from the Krynn trilogy was the Mace of Disruption. I was surprised that I couldn't find it under special items in FRUA.

"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline RDarkfire

• Koder
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
Just re-started playing DQK yesterday and just got to Naudilis.  Nostalgia reigns supreme in this game, such good times.  Wondering what happened to this project, did it make any headway?  Catching up on all of Ishad Nha's posts here, looks like he did such great work.  Did any Dragonlance-specific stuff actually get incorporated into DC/FRUA/anything else?

Cheers...
-RD.
Keepin' it real...
-R.D.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2016, 08:17:45 PM »
No progress was made towards a Dragonlance Unlimited Adventures game.
Rosedragon has a few designs set in the world of Krynn, I don't know how customized they are though.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2017, 04:18:39 AM »
A quick Universal Game Editor module for the party aspects of a DQK save game, qsv, file.
It includes the Special Items that are found in the Inv list. One Special Item is recorded by a 2 not a 1: Iron Dragon Scale.

Num.  Variable name            OFFSET  VAR.TYPE         RANGE
===========================================================================
   1  Geo.glb                      18  1 byte         0 thru 255   
   2  Ecl.glb                      21  1 byte         0 thru 255   
   3  Outdoor X                    36  1 byte         0 thru 255   
   4  Outdoor Y Mod 15             37  1 byte         0 thru 255   
  45  Ecl/Geo                     197  1 byte         0 thru 255   
  46  Outdoor X                   272  1 byte         0 thru 255   
  47  Outdoor Y                   273  1 byte         0 thru 255   
  48  Indoor X                   1024  1 byte         0 thru 255   
  49  Indoor Y                   1025  1 byte         0 thru 255

Outdoor Y, there are two coordinates, first is the Y coordinate inside the North or South half of the outdoor map, while the second is valid for both halves of the map.
This module enables the party to teleport by altering indoor coordinates. In some towns the Gold Box Companion map will work properly instead.

Now, blastradius uploaded a UGE module for the record of an individual PC/NPC, see: Reply #73 on: May 20, 2014, 06:51:57 AM.
Remove Character from Party will create a qch file, this is the DQK version of a cch file. This can only be done at a Training Hall.  Note, this is not the Drop found in the Encamp menu.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:42:19 AM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
Simulating dual-classing in the Krynn series.

Krynn series lacks any capacity for dual-classing Humans, by the start of DQK this is a hassle. Warrior to Mage is a particularly useful dual class combination.
One basic approach is to create the PC as a member of the second class, features of the "first class" are then hopefully hacked into the PC.
Another approach is to create PC as member of the first class, then "dual-classing" is effected by hacking.
Gold Box Companion will need to be altered first to actually enact it.
Dark Queen of Krynn and FRUA have similar formats in character records, similar but not identical. I will see if the DQK program still has legacy code for Humans who are dual-classed.

Relevant offsets in DQK qch files:
146   Level in Former Class
172   Original Cleric Level
173   Original Knight level
174   Original Fighter Level
175   Original Paladin Level
176   Original Ranger Level
177   Original Magic-User Level
178   Original Thief Level
Remove Character from Party at a Training Hall, edit the resulting qch file to simulate dual-classing, then Add Character to Party.

GBC can handle things like creating spells for first class. I don't know if they are still castable.
Currently can't handle Turn Undead, Lay on Hands, Paladin Cure Disease or Thief skills

Using equipment from both classes is a good perk of dual-classing. Gold Box Companion enables you to set item usage for a given character...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:41:42 PM by Ishad Nha »