Author Topic: (repost here from IW for discussion) feature request - wall step thru event  (Read 1730 times)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Since I couldn't find where on the sourceforge page (they changed it since I last posted any), I thought I'd post a request for feature here.

We have the ability to play sound when someone moves thru a wall (like a door open/close sound effect or bushes shaking when you pass thru), what would be a nice touch is the ability to put an event upon pass thru wall.

I think this as a useful feature, even though we have step events, zone events, item events, rest events, ect ect. Reason: you could do something like the walls of fire that FRUA had with the original release, and if you walked thru one it could run a damage event. Now sure you could place an event, but what if the entire level was done with the fire walls? I mean, you would have to have a very detailed and structured set of events (and triggers like facing and do as attempt to enter) to get every step thru wall to fire off properly. I just envision this being another way to simplify mod design.

ST
ps, I realize this is an expansion and hence it'll be added to the "post v1.0" list, but please consider it. Also, I posted this also at the IW forum and here for discussion purposes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:55:23 PM by SilentThief »

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Could you do this with a 'Step' event?  And check
to see if the current party location is within such a wall?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Could you do this with a 'Step' event?  And check
to see if the current party location is within such a wall?
Of course, you can use events in combination with "if party is facing north, south, etc." and "when party arrives only". But ST is right that tying an event directly to moving through a wall would be a nice feature and make designing things like fire walls, cobwebs, sensors, traps and so on easier.

I'd say, however, it is not really urgent since you can get similar results in the current version.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Hey gang,

To find the request tracker on SourceForge just hover over "Tracker" (this has actually changed since last week when you had to choose tracker from the 'Develop' menu).

Also, I'm not going to respond to the same post on more than one forum, no point. I think almost all of us DC folk read all the forums anyways so the chance that we're going to miss it on one is pretty slim. :)

ST, the "facing direction" options can be sent to all or any combination of the four directions.

I guess I'm missing why it would be better have an event triggered through the wall editor isntead of the event editor. :) Especially since only having a sound play seems rather limiting. For example walking through a fire wall might also involve a sprite to show fire damage being done, and even a damage event.

Now, I realize that the ability to put any event is being asked for, and I think that is great, but belongs in the event editor. :D Just my two coppers. Please feel free to post your request. As I've mentioned elsewhere here, we'll start looking at requests after version 1.0 - I'm not even prioritizing them now, as we are focused elsewhere.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Just curious, does DC have the:

( EVENT HAPPENS WHEN PARTY ATTEMPTS TO ENTER

||

EVENT HAPPENS WHEN PARTY ENTERS )

control logic?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Just curious, does DC have the:

( EVENT HAPPENS WHEN PARTY ATTEMPTS TO ENTER

||

EVENT HAPPENS WHEN PARTY ENTERS )

control logic?

Yep. :) Well, kind of... For the facing direction it is either "when party enters" or "even after party has entered".
There is an event, Transfer Module/Stairs/Teleporter, that has the Attempting to Enter or Entered option, as well as using the Locigc Block.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Its official, I see that this is NOT necessary... I need to script/logicblock an example on how this would work, but the feature request is not needed.

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Its official, I see that this is NOT necessary... I need to script/logicblock an example on how this would work, but the feature request is not needed.

ST

Perhaps what we will need is to have mroe step events available to designers...

anything