Author Topic: Spells, what do they do exactly?  (Read 8140 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Spells, what do they do exactly?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
What's the difference between "Prayer" and "Bless"?

I know some people have already answered this question, but there are some details that were left out:

* If cast in combat, Bless *will not* affect allies who are already engaged in melee combat.
* If cast in combat, Prayer *will* affect allies who are already engaged in melee combat.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Bless and Prayer will stack with each other, but multiples of the same spell won't (so two Bless spells won't stack).

Off the top of my head, I also think that Bless and Prayer have different ranges too.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
You know, my first thought on reading this was Insane Clown Posse's 'Magnets, how do they work?'

Anyway, Time Stop strikes me as a brilliant subversion.

It's also worth mentioning that there's no internal text visible to the player (apart from the spell name) that mentions the target is a snake, so you can easily make it 'Hold Undead' or some other usually-not-charmable monster. Sort of like the way people love to turn the Giant Slaying Sword into a dragon or demon slayer.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 01:54:34 AM »
I wonder whether the easier way to do "time stop" (or maybe a harder way), rather than using the "stun" effect on all other adversaries, would be to give the spellcaster (or target) the next combat turn (or next n turns).

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
In DC, yes, they'll just code it in. ;) This is a workaround for FRUA.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 03:42:21 AM »
You know, my first thought on reading this was Insane Clown Posse's 'Magnets, how do they work?'

I should probably have called this thread "F*cking spells, how do they work?" :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »
I should probably have called this thread "F*cking spells, how do they work?" :D

While that's funny and all, I would probably have had to change the title in order for it not to be offensive.  Still, I would have chuckled first.  :)
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Hannibal Rex

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »
Can someone confirm ow Prayer works?

If you cast it in camp, everyone "is praying" and gets buffed. Fair enough.

But how exactly does it work in combat? Only the caster gets the "is praying" message, and there is no indication of its range, and whether is affects enemies at all.

Offline Amarande

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
Lost Con points from Raise Dead actually can be recovered, but only through the Fix/Repair option in temples that offer it (which basically means that you have to live with the lost point until you reach the final game in whichever series you're playing) - this resets ALL asterisked stats to base, unless there is an ongoing effect responsible for the stat change. Since Raise Dead for some reason treats the Con change as a temporary debuff (asterisked) instead of a permanent change to the basic stat, and doesn't place a corresponding "was raised" spell effect on the target, this works :)

Quite useful in Treasures, if you're in the islands and take a boat back to Neverwinter to get a rez while having a Cleric of level 9-10 in the party, seeing that the game "helpfully" automatically performs a camp Fix for you on every boat ride, resulting in the character getting Raised when you wanted to wait! Of course every island location (except the final area past the point of no return) has a Temple, but you might not have remembered that fact in the rush (or if you're in Fireshear and innocently decide it's more convenient to take a boat back - particularly as the area you're most likely to actually die in is right by the boats, while the Temple, if you remembered there was one, is a long hike back through the whole zone ...).

Snake Charm was also useful in Champions (perhaps even more so, since you had Lightning Bolt as a mass damage option in Naulidis to help with the sea snakes, while the low level characters of Champions frequently had trouble quickly eliminating the hazardous Giant Snakes - didn't help that you encountered them mostly fairly early on!).

However, I'll agree it's pretty much mainly a Krynn series thing. Could be useful in Pool of Radiance I suppose but the mass groups of humanoids and level 6 limit brings up the spell slot supply issue and competition with Hold Person (this is much muted in the Krynn games; while on the one hand you actually have triple competition for level 2 Cleric slots thanks to Resist Fire being so often important as well, you're usually pretty much awash in Cleric spell slots because of the useful multiclassing and Knights' robust Cleric spell allotments at high level meaning you usually have most, if not all, your party members having Cleric access; plus Hold Person is far less frequently of use because you get so many Draconian opponents where the FR games would have had more humans); later in the FR series, snakes have become so weak compared to your party that you tend to just obliterate them without worrying about crowd control (as they don't get a meaningful upgrade like DQK's Sea Snakes), and in the only other low level FR offering (Gateway) they've been nerfed significantly (Gateway snakes only paralyzed you, not killed, at least in the PC version).