Poll

What web browser do you use most of the time to view FRUA/DC websites?

Internet Explorer
5 (17.9%)
Firefox
18 (64.3%)
Opera
1 (3.6%)
Safari
1 (3.6%)
Chrome
2 (7.1%)
Other (IceCat, Lynx, Netscape, etc.)
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Web Browser Poll  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Web Browser Poll
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
As I am currently considering how to revamp my website, please let me know what browsers you guys are using to view the Web!  :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://www.reonis.com/uatu/

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Web Browser Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:54:48 AM »
Go, Firefox, go!
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:22 AM »
Another vote for Firefox.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:28 AM »
Firefox, for moi.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »
Definitely a Firefox user.  Especially with add-ons like "No Script," which will keep malware off your system that comes from malicious scripting embedded in webpages.  I recommend it for everyone.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
I use multiple browsers on each computer. On my Windows box I use Chrome (b/c it's wicked fast) and Firefox (some nice add-ons). On my Linux machine, I use Opera and Firefox. Opera is faster than Firefox, but I am addicted to the mail notifiers for Firefox. If Chrome or Opera ever get some, I will leave Firefox behind. While Firefox works pretty decently on Windows machines, it does not work near as well on Linux due to the way it handles the flash and shockwave content of websites, in that it pretty much doesn't, just starts coughing up script errors.

Because I could only vote for one, I chose Chrome because it's the fastest and therefore the one I use the most. :D
I have IE on my Windows box for testing purposes, but I don't like it.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
Wow, seems like Firefox by a landslide so far!  I myself have not voted as I use three browsers perhaps about equally - Firefox (mostly at work), Safari (on my iMac), and IE (on my VirtualBox Windows machine within the iMac).  I used to use Opera fairly frequently (it was fast), and have not tried Chrome (I don't like the way I can't just download an installation file...)

As it is, I guess I should be designing with Firefox in mind :D  (The IE-only chroma filter fix is a quick-an'-easy one, but only one person here would see it, besides me :D )

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »
If you do some searching, you'll see that Firefox is the number one most used browser on the planet for the last year or so. :)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
Really?  I did some searching a bit of a while back, and it seemed that IE was still number 1 by far... but perhaps it was not a global survey, I don't remember...

Guess I will put in my vote for Safari after all (noone else seems to have put one in :D)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
Firefox has been slightly ahead of IE in the US and globally for just over a year. But, I can find sites that say IE is king, many of which only look at subsets of the total internet community. For example, MS had quoted a poll for a year or two that turned out to only look at browsers that came pre-installed on their machines. :)

Another browser that I use that I didn't mention, is one that I wrote as a programming exercise. :) I like to think of it as my "IE" in that it is the "Internet for Eric". :D :D :D

Safari is nasy for some Windows installs, because it is constantly looking to update itself and Windows think the updates are viral attacks. I know this was fixed for Windows 7 and Vista and there was a hotfix for XP. So, I guess only those using 2000 or older or who haven't updated their XP are really effected.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
I didn't even know that there was Safari for Windows :D

Internet for Eric sounds interesting - wow, you wrote a browser?  :D  Maybe you should release it...

Firefox definitely is well-used in the English-speaking world (most companies seem to have it installed as well, or at least let their employees install it).  Unfortunately, Japanese companies seem to only use IE nowadays (they used to have both Netscape and IE, but when Netscape went kaput, they deigned to add a different Mozilla browser instead).

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:34 AM »
Wow, those stats are quite overwhelmingly Mozilla and then IE...  quite different from what I have seen elsewhere.  And no Safari there at all (do Mac users use Firefox, too, then?)!

The Sleipnir browser also sounds interesting, if a bit English-impaired :D  Perhaps I should help them in that department (well, I am too busy, though)...  I like the name, at least :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
I only 3 or 4 apple users, and while the all have Safari installed, they all use Firefox (and Thunderbird for email). :)

Edited to add:
As of today, I'm now using Chrome on Linux, and it's fast. :) Plus, it imported everything from Firefox and did a lot better job than Opera did.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:50:12 PM by manikus »

Olark

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
Yep. Firefox here too. As another user said, a great add-on is No-Script. Plus I use AdBlock Plus, WOT, & BetterPrivacy as they are some nice privacy/safety features.

+ also FireFTP for my FTP needs.

anything