Poll

POLL: How Many Modules Have You Completed?

None
4 (28.6%)
1-2
5 (35.7%)
3-6
1 (7.1%)
7-10
3 (21.4%)
11-20
0 (0%)
21+
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: January 23, 2010, 08:57:05 PM

Author Topic: POLL: How Many Modules Have You Completed?  (Read 6817 times)

Offline hans

Re: POLL: How Many Modules Have You Completed?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »
Small scale would be another important criterium for me. You can always expand something short and small once it's working.

IIRC, all of the failures were epic projects, like DrowUA.  I'd think something along the scale of Ben's "4-Day Challenge" HOS1 would be much less of a burden, and much more likely to succeed (not that I'm volunteering, myself).

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
Yes, I recall many of the more experienced designers being sceptical about team projects because of failures in the past. I guess putting a lot of effort in a mod and then not being able to release it because of someone else is even worse than 'failing' on your own.

I have extensive experience with UA design failures.  ;)

How about a hub city (or two), such as Vix was working on, to which overlands and dungeons could be added? Sort of like Ray's Game00, but with a more even (or progressing) difficulty level.

Quests, items, and keys would need to be rationed between designers, and one item or key could be reserved for a 'combat results' flag. A few quests might be reserved for 'dungeon use', and would need to be cleared at the end of each dungeon.

Once a city was done and the quests, items, and keys were apportioned, the completion of a single dungeon would enable an initial (v.01) release, and versions with added dungeons could be released as updates. As levels increase, the original (and additional) hub cities could be used with new dungeon sets.

Area view and search limitations could be left up to the dungeon's designer.

Is anyone else willing to give this a shot?

Any thoughts on changes to my proposals, or things I've left out?

Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »
A collaborative dungeon crawl, where one person does the first level, another the second, and so on, sounds interesting.  Don't know if I could commit to it, but if everyone just has to do a single dungeon module, it's possible. 

Like nologgie said, though, you would have to assign quests, keys and items.  Also, you would have to ration monster slots--if you had a 10-level dungeon, that would give each designer of the dungeon level 12 or 13 new monsters to work with (plus all the monsters from previous levels).

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 05:11:53 AM »
I could imagine taking part in a team project some day.

While the idea of a collective mod with every designer making one level is fine, I find the idea of shared duties more interesting: One designer is in charge of writing the story and characters, one does the artwork, one does the hacks...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:14:12 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 06:26:42 AM »
Like I said, I'd be open for any kind of team effort, provided I'm not the one who has to start it. I need something to work with. ;)

In the case that several designers add to a single mod I tendentially like the hub idea a little better than an advancing dungeon crawl, even if technically it might be the same and I'm not quite sure if I'm misinterpreting Mack's suggestion. I just prefer a little choice and variety, a little more freedom for designers instead of some kind of linearity or chronology which might also hinder the progress of a team effort. And I've never liked actual dungeon "levels" that much. ;)

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »
A collaborative dungeon crawl, where one person does the first level, another the second, and so on, sounds interesting.  Don't know if I could commit to it, but if everyone just has to do a single dungeon module, it's possible. 

Like nologgie said, though, you would have to assign quests, keys and items.  Also, you would have to ration monster slots--if you had a 10-level dungeon, that would give each designer of the dungeon level 12 or 13 new monsters to work with (plus all the monsters from previous levels).

For simplicity, I was thinking of mini-mod type adventures plugged into a 'common world'. I'd be up for a long dungeon crawl too, but it seems more complicated and more dependent upon other authors finishing their parts.

For monsters, low (1-3) level dungeons would have plenty of empty slots since dragons, drow, vampires, etc. shouldn't be needed. Higher level dungeons would require more coordination between authors, but should still be workable.

For a dungeon crawl, the logical story connection between levels would need to be pretty strong. For modules plugged into a common realm, the connection need not be so direct, but should fall within the world conditions.

Most hacks would need to be in place before building any dungeons. Item hacks would be easier. If the designers decide on no items above +3, that would free up quite a lot for use as new items, which needn't be added until called for.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Most hacks would need to be in place before building any dungeons. Item hacks would be easier. If the designers decide on no items above +3, that would free up quite a lot for use as new items, which needn't be added until called for.

Graphical hacks and art choice would pose a bigger problem. The walls would need to be agreed upon first. And it's probably safer if every designer gets assigned a certain part of the pic, sprite and icon slots. Was there a way to increase the number of them?

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »
There are some 'grow' utilities to slightly increase the available art slots, but in some cases, they can cause data spillover into other data areas and cause crashes. If frames, title, and wall sets were agreed upon, monster pics and sprites could go with the the division of monsters (to include NPCs), and a possible division of 'generic' pics (shopkeepers, etc.).

I'd definitely leave the music & sound to someone who plays UA with the sound on!  ;)

Offline hans

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
I would recommend a small to medium size project at first.  If the past has taught us anything, it's that big projects and projects without well defined limits tend to crumble under their own weight. 

A small project would (1) prove that it could be done, (2) let it get done in a resonable amount of time, and (3) provide understanding on what does and what doesn't work well before a larger project is attempted. 

I would also suggest that one person be elected or accepted as project leader.  Someone has to make the tough choices when opinions differ on the team.  Someone needs to have authority to make necessary changes or edits for the sake of the whole.  Someone needs to coordinate, and see that if a volunteer goes missing, or unvolunteers, that a replacement is found.  Someone has to assume accountability.

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
Looking at the Poll, one 21+!  Can I assume that is Ray's vote,,,?   :D

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »
Like I've hinted at several times before, I'd also be in favor of starting a new serial project.  ;)

BTW, since we haven't heard from Brad Daly in a while - does anyone feel up for the task to pick up where Ray left in the old series?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:17:00 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ray

• Tour The Realm!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
Looking at the Poll, one 21+!  Can I assume that is Ray's vote,,,?   :D

LOL!

I'm a sucker for polls...I see them and I have to click on them!!!

Offline Ray

• Tour The Realm!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
Like I've hinted at several times before, I'd also be in favor of starting a new serial project.  ;)

BTW, since we haven't heard from Brad Daly in a while - does anyone feel up for the task to pick up where Ray left in the old series?

I was worried that my entry had been too weird, but then Brad wrote that he had a whole adventure planned out.  Unfortunately, he hasn't seemed very responsive the last time someone asked about the Serial Module.  I'd love to see a final chapter created some day, just to finish it all out!

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »
I'm the third person to have exactly 10 completed modules.

Classic PnP Conversions
dungeon!.zip - The Dungeon! Board Game
scourge.zip - Scourge of the Slave Lords
queen.zip - Queen of the Demonweb Pits
nitbelow.zip - Night Below: An Underdark Campaign
barrier.zip - Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
gw1-log.zip - Legion of Gold

Planescape
khin-oin.zip - Khin-Oin: The Wasting Tower
deadgods.zip - Dead Gods: Out of the Darkness

Super-Heroes
dmpatrol.zip (918K) - Doom Patrol: Crawling from the Wreckage
xmen1.zip (2.2MB) - X-Men 1: Dark Phoenix
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Stephan1980

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »

I never completed a design of my own.

But I think I have played through more than 50 designs. Much more I believe...