Author Topic: Music Questions  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
Re: Music Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »
There's something really weird going on with the music. I was walking around in the game for a bit, testing how the music plays in the game, and the volume of the different MIDI channels keeps changing. Sometimes it sounds the way Intended it, but sometimes the percussion is quieter, or the track is not in stereo, or the volume of the bass is too low... I think I even had a track twice playing a wrong instrument on the first note, but now I can't reproduce this error.

I suspect it has something to do with the sounds that preceeded a song, and the way they handle the MIDI channels. But maybe I'm wrong.

It could be a problem with the two different file formats, e.g. ADDQ1.xmi and RODQ1.xmi
Because I was having problems with CKITMUS, I sometimes just wrote over the RODQ files, and it worked. But other tracks were successfully imported with CKITMUS... and some even exist in two different versions now.

What is the difference between the ADDQ and RODQ files?

I guess I should just try and import everything again through CKITMUS, maybe that will stop the confusion.
|sf>If all else fails and you have the empty slot/space, you can import a 'silent' song into the module to 'cut off' the end of the song. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline hans

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »
I'm no expert, but I do believe that one Xmi's chanel's settings can be adopted by a following Xmi in UA, like "damper" or "volume" settings, etc. 

I do almost all my own midi conversions for my mods, and something someone suggested to me when I was first learning out how to do them, was "Reset all Controllers" to 0 at the start of each new midi channel.  Maybe it was Harri Polsa who suggested it...it was so long ago... 

Anyhoo, I used to pass along that advice to others, back in the day when new FRUAites looked to me for such knowledge. 

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 04:17:18 AM »
They probably still would, if they weren't so in awe!  :o

You Da Man!
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 07:41:43 AM »
I do almost all my own midi conversions for my mods, and something someone suggested to me when I was first learning out how to do them, was "Reset all Controllers" to 0 at the start of each new midi channel.  Maybe it was Harri Polsa who suggested it...it was so long ago... 

Okay. Which programs are you using to do this? I can't find such an option.

Can I still take your offer to send you the MIDI / XMI files so you can see what's wrong?  ;)

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 07:54:41 AM »
Oh, and I think ADDQ1.xmi and RODQ1.xmi might stand for "AdLib" and "Roland".

But CKITMUS doesn't offer the possibility to import files for different sound cards.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 02:02:22 PM »
Okay. Which programs are you using to do this? I can't find such an option.

Can I still take your offer to send you the MIDI / XMI files so you can see what's wrong?  ;)

Sure.   :) 

I use an old version of WinJammer to tinker with my midis.

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 02:12:57 PM »
They probably still would, if they weren't so in awe!  :o

You Da Man!

Heehee.   :D 

Actually, I only helped out a few folks with music advice in the past.  I never considered it my strong suit.  I'd point them to John Rudy's NL articles, and pass along the few fundamentals I knew about, maybe have a look at a midi they were having trouble with.  Probably they only turned to me because it was a time when our more knowledgeable (and truly talented) members, like John, Harri, Steve Gustafson, etc., were all absent. 

I used to get a whole lot of private pleas for art advice, which I feel much more confident in dispensing, but that sorta finally ended about four years ago, IIRC.  I suppose it fizzled down because we've gotten fewer and fewer new members to FRUAdom...   :-\
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:14:48 PM by hans »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »
Thanks very much, hans.  :)

First I must get rid of two little glitches in two of the new tracks, then I'll PM you a zip of all the MIDI and XMI files.

WinJammer... is it freeware?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »
Shareware.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »
Sent you a PM.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
I must give a very big thanks to hans here, who helped me get the music to work.

It's way more complicated than I thought, but It works now.

Except for one tiny little thing that I just discovered... *writing another email to hans* ...

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 03:25:07 PM »
I just tested the music on a different computer, which has an onboard Realtek soundcard, and the music sounds... well, completely different. Not bad, but different.
And the "foes" track plays only piano and drums instead of other instruments...  Which is okay, but not the way I recorded it.

I guess I should give up trying to make it sound perfect in any configuration. There's so many different soundcards and settings that it seems beyond control.

I only hope it doesn't sound completely wrong on any of your computers.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 03:42:12 AM »
Look on the bright side: if we don't know what it's supposed to sound like, we won't know it's wrong!  ;D
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
That will work, until I release the sountrack album, which has a total of eigth tracks and a running time of 3 minutes 6 seconds.  ;D

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »
That will work, until I release the sountrack album, which has a total of eigth tracks and a running time of 3 minutes 6 seconds.  ;D
|sf>The reason why I didn't add anything else to this thread previously is because I'm one of those people who creates her own MIDI recordings (via mouse clicks in a program) and converts it to XMI via MIDIFORM.  I also use XMITest to listen to the results before importing them into FRUA.  The only trouble that I run into at times would be the 'instrument shifting' where one instrument from my original MIDI changes to a different instrument in FRUA. 

All I can really suggest is that it's a trial and error process where sometimes the MIDI has to be modified to use different instruments.  I don't really use a scientific method for getting an uncooperative sound file to play the correct instruments.
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net