Author Topic: REVIEW: The Goblins of the Shining Eye (by Mack)  (Read 711 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
REVIEW: The Goblins of the Shining Eye (by Mack)
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »
The Goblins of the Shining Eye
by Mack

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

My party was asked by the mayor to find out why the goblins are getting bolder in their attacks on the village. Exploring the goblin caves requires lots of memorized "find traps" spells. I wish the caves had cubby holes we could rest in rather than trekking back through the woods to the village.
    This was a rather good module with an interesting storyline. I enjoyed it.

Mycroft Rating: 7

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: REVIEW: The Goblins of the Shining Eye (by Mack)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »
The Goblins of the Shining Eye
by Mack

Review by Steve Gustafson

From time to time, you run into a design that contains great insights into the human condition. One that has a lesson for us all, wise words for our times.

The lesson of this design is simple: there are monsters out there. We must invade their lairs, and kill them. But when we do, we get to take their treasures. It is hard to imagine anything that speaks more eloquently to current events.

This is a short in terms of dungeon count, fairly long in terms of play, design. An unhacked design, it supplies a town, a forest, and a warren of caverns to wander through. Your goal is simple: eliminate the goblin tribe that habits the warrens, and take their treasure back to town to claim your rewards.

The game is mostly well designed for what it sets out to be: an unpretentious dungeon crawl. Combats are difficult to the point of being unbalanced, especially for the level 1 characters supplied. I imported some level 5 characters, and even they were fortunate to make it back to town with one party member still conscious. A thief and a ranger are absolutely essential in this game, as is the Finding Traps spell. You will really need to marshall your spells, because there are many combats, and miles to go before you can rest again.

The chief virtue of the design is the wise use it makes of KazKeith's goblin art packs. Different types of goblins appear, armed with different weapons and possessing different powers. The coordination between combat icon and monster power is good. I have used those goblins myself, and they're really good.

Minor annoyances: all the shops in the town are unmarked, and undistinguished from the commoners' houses. There are a number of goblin guardposts and traps that reappear after you fought or disarmed them the first time. It is difficult to tell when you have done all you need to do in the dungeons.

Verdict: a solid first effort in vanilla FRUA.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: The Goblins of the Shining Eye (by Mack)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:55:25 AM »
After playing Mack's second (?) module Beneath the Sorcerer's Tower I had high hopes for his first module.
But alas I found it too tedious: large maps that mostly contain Damage events with no possibility for resting, means lots of backtracking.
The module assumes lvl 1 characters that start with mundane weapons, but that would have made it even more tedious than it was with imported lvl 4-5 characters.
On the bright side, it seemed free of bugs and spelling errors, and the new (to me) goblin pictures were cool.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:42:14 PM by PetrusOctavianus »