Author Topic: REVIEW: Game43: Rage of the Rakasta (by Ray Dyer)  (Read 48 times)

Offline hans

REVIEW: Game43: Rage of the Rakasta (by Ray Dyer)
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:38:29 PM »
Another entry into the One-Week Challenge (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3429.0), out of an amazing ten! such mods by Ray Dyer, Game43: Rage of the Rakasta, continues the "Thunder Rift" campaign. 

Another conversion of a short P&P adventure, the plot involves a race of cat-people, the titular Rakasta.  Their origins are (implied as) far-Eastern, which allows for a very cool Oriental ambience.  I was delighted to see art borrowed from the OAUA Worldhack, such as some Japanese-style wallsets, backdrops, and combat dungeons used to provide that desired flavor.  A flavor further sweetened by the complementary Japanese tunes.  :D

The new art also includes some terrific Pics and BigPics.  One particular BigPic, entitled "Rakasta 2" is a real stunner!  Wow!

In all, the design was expertly-crafted, and the air of mystery, and exploration elements were pleasantly engaging...   

Warning! Possible Spoilers:

However, after the final big reveal, I wondered why we had been hired at all.  That mystery was left unexplained.

Also, the accompanying text file suggested that the fights would be hard for a low-level party, but I hardly found that to be the case.  They were, rather, quite easy.  One reason might be that there was typically only a single opponent that my party could concentrate their fire upon.  Perhaps another reason is that I imported my party from Game41: Knight of Newts, whom I had, by the end, outfitted with reasonably good armor and weapons.  Perhaps a new startup party would have found the action a bit hairier, although I wouldn't think by much. 

Of course the above two points may be minor faults carried over from the P&P version that Ray converted.

Those quibbles aside, Game43: Rage of the Rakasta is another worthy addition to The Realm   ;D

Online Ray

Re: REVIEW: Game43: Rage of the Rakasta (by Ray Dyer)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »

Thanks again, Hans!

I'll use Spoiler color to agree with you...

Yes!  That struck me, hard, while I was working on it, too.  I had gone from being "on the fence" about this module to really loving it, only to get to the end and say exactly what you wrote above.  If it was explained, then I'm too poor of a scholar to determine why in the world this would be the case.  I've tried hard to not change the adventures I convert, but this is the one so far where it took the most willpower to stay true to the source.  I just don't get it, and I couldn't find any hint of an explanation, either.  So, I stuck to the exact wording, like always, and figured the chips would fall where they landed...

All told, I still thought it was a really fun adventure module, even if the resolution seemed like a total non-sequitur, but your exact thoughts stopped me in my tracks.  Like, work-work-work-dead stop.  Then it was just a little more transcription, and...done?

anything