Author Topic: REVIEW: Dwelling in Darkness (by Benjamin Sanderfer)  (Read 36 times)

Offline hans

REVIEW: Dwelling in Darkness (by Benjamin Sanderfer)
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
Remarkably, Dwelling in Darkness is the second mod created by ProphetSword (a.k.a. Ben Sanderfer) for the One-Week Challenge (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3429.0). 

Under that time restriction, DiD is, as would be expected, a small mod (one town and 2 dungeons), yet it doesn't play like one.  I'm sure I exceeded the 2-3 hour average playtime.  Part of the reason for this is that the 2 dungeons are full of combats devised to challenge a 12th level party.  Thus, like good boxing matches, these contests usually last for multiple rounds. 

Visually, the mod is entirely EGA (16-colors), reminiscent of the early GoldBox games, such as Pool of Radiance and Secret of the Silver Blades.  Very retro-cool.  There's even a trippy special fx that was very 1960s pop-art-ish.   

While essentially a combat-focused monty haul dungeon crawl, Ben punches up the familiar story elements with some nice flashes of humor.  This keeps the tone lighter than his previous One-Week Challenge entry, The Voice of Vengeance

I very much enjoyed Dwelling in Darkness.   :)

The combats are almost all against tough monsters, yet I found only a few of the fights to be very hard.  Which was the only bit of disappointment for me.  The reason for this, I believe, is the presence of several shops in town that sell an abundance of high magical items.  By the time I finished, all of my heroes had at least -10 ACs, with one at -19.  Necklaces of Missiles and powerful Wands for anybody who wanted them.  Vorpal Long Swords.  My late father would've loved this aspect.  Myself, I think that next time I play this mod I may first alter the shops to only normal items, plus potions, for an even greater challenge.       
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:01:00 PM by hans »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: REVIEW: Dwelling in Darkness (by Benjamin Sanderfer)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
The combats are almost all against tough monsters, yet I found only a few of the fights to be very hard.  Which was the only bit of disappointment for me.  The reason for this, I believe, is the presence of several shops in town that sell an abundance of high magical items.  By the time I finished, all of my heroes had at least -10 ACs, with one at -19.  Necklaces of Missiles and powerful Wands for anybody who wanted them.  Vorpal Long Swords.  My late father would've loved this aspect.  Myself, I think that next time I play this mod I may first alter the shops to only normal items, plus potions, for an even greater challenge.       

Sadly, this is the one aspect of the one-week challenge that can cause issues.  You have no time to have anyone else look at the module to give you a sense that something like this breaks the balance.  In my mind, the combats might have been too hard if I didn't include a lot of items.  This is clearly not the case.  And this is the kind of thing that good playtesters tend to find when playing modules.

I suppose I could release an updated version and alter the stores, though I will probably wait to see if others have the same issue.

Thanks for the feedback and the review!
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

anything