Author Topic: Reversible Spells  (Read 75 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Reversible Spells
« on: March 14, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
I've decided to change some of the spells in the default database. Namely, all of the spells that are reversible. Right now they are listed as separate spells, for example Cause Light Wounds and Cure Light Wounds. The new version will have just Cure Light Wounds, but at time of casting, the player can decide if it is Cure Light Wounds or Cause Light Wounds.

However, I am not sure of the best way to get this point across to the player. :)
I could:
1)   list the spell name and hope the player knows that the spell is reversible
   eg.   Cure Light Wounds
2)   list the spell name with an "R" after it to indicate that it is reversible
   eg.   Cure Light Wounds (R)
3)   list the spell name with "Reversible" after it
   eg.   Cure Light Wounds (Reversible)

Personally I would like it to read...
   eg.   Cure Light Wounds
While a non-reversible spell would look like...
   eg.   Burning Hands
I don't want to ask Paul for this ability, because my spell name might end up looking something like...
   eg.   /i/bCure Light Wounds/b/i
...and I don't want any spells or SAs that might look at this spell to have to use all the special codes - it's hard enough getting this right without throwing in a bunch of other stuff. :D

I want to know what y'all think. Maybe we could even do the fourth option with a Hook. Maybe a combination of two of the options? Maybe none of these options?

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Reversible Spells
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
I think that the (Reversible) method follows the books closest. Perhaps this is following the 2nd edition closer than first, but I think that that gets the point across.

I there that may be some cases where you will have multiple choices on the way the spell is cast, whether that means like casting a darkness/light spell on a target, on an area, or targeting a persons eyes (for a blindness effect); or perhaps something like the Prismatic Spray spell (I *think* this is 2nd edition spell aka its not found in 1E, but I could be wrong).

Code: [Select]
Prismatic Spray (7th Level MU)
(Conjuration/Summoning)
Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 7
Area of Effect: 70 x 15 ft. spray
Saving Throw: Special

When this spell is cast, the wizard causes seven shimmering, multicolored rays of light to flash from his hand in a triangular spray.
This spray is 70 feet long and spreads to 15 feet wide at the end. It includes all colors of the visible spectrum; each ray has a
different power and purpose. Any creature with fewer than 8 Hit Dice struck by a ray is blinded for 2d4 rounds, regardless of any
other effect. Any creature in the area of effect will be touched by one or more of the rays. To determine which ray strikes a creature,
roll 1d8 and consult the following table:

Prismatic Spray Results
1 = red
5 = blue
2 = orange
6 = indigo
3 = yellow
7 = violet
4 = green
8 = struck by two rays, roll again twice (ignoring any 8s)

Color of Ray, Order of Ray, Effect of Ray
Red, 1st, Inflicts 20 points of damage, save vs. spell for half.
Orange, 2nd, Inflicts 40 points of damage, save vs. spell for half.
Yellow, 3rd, Inflicts 80 points of damage, save vs. spell for half.
Green, 4th, Save vs. poison or die; survivors suffer 20 points of poison damage.
Blue, 5th, Save vs. petrification or be turned to stone.
Indigo, 6th, Save vs. wand or go insane.
Violet, 7th, Save vs. spell or be sent to another plane.

Glad that you are working on adding choice to 'at-cast-time'

ST the choosy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:46:55 PM by SilentThief »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Reversible Spells
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
THere is only one spell in the database that would have more than one option - Druid's "Conjure Elemental" spell. :)

I am not counting the spells where you can target a combatant or a place, as those are handled differently and at this point there are not any separate spells for different targeting options.

Prismatic Spray is something I have had my eye on for a while. It's a lot of work for something that I don't think I can figure out how to do all of. :D