Author Topic: Wilderness Combat Terrain  (Read 493 times)

Offline marainein

Wilderness Combat Terrain
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
How are the combat screens for wilderness combat created? Is there any way of controlling where the terrain features (trees, pools, etc) are placed?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Wilderness Combat Terrain
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:34:58 PM »
It is a mystery to me how the engine picks which square goes where, but it is definitely random The only hard and fast rule is that if one of the 5 left-most squares in the top row is chosen, the the square immediately ly below it in the graphics source file appears directly below it on the map.

There is no way to control it.

For a long time I have wanted to add a new kind of combat event that allows you to load an image and place blockages, just like the overland maps do. This is actually on my list of features to request from Paul - 3rd graphics related request. ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »
a new kind of combat event that allows you to load an image and place blockages

... and choose the squares in which the combatants begin.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
a new kind of combat event that allows you to load an image and place blockages

... and choose the squares in which the combatants begin.

While I forgot to mention that in my post, I do plan on requesting combatant placement capabilities, too. :D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
It would be awesome to have the ability to custom create the map -- as in specify what blocks are where, and what access level that they have. The idea I was thinking of is that there is one combat I remember (*only one*) in Pool of Radiance, iirc; which you fight the enemy in a wilderness combat map with a river between you and them. You crossing the river greatly reduces your movement while in the river, but it is passable.

I was thinking of things like the above. We currently do not even use the river graphics, nor did FRUA. But that was obviously something that they had on the todo list or something that was "in the works" to use.

My ideas for taking this further, define areas of the combat map which would do the following:

allow no movement, but would allow ranged weapon and targeted spells to pass thru -- something like an arrowslit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowslit)

allow cover from ranged (areas which would make penalties to ranged attacks coming in, such as hiding behind a tree, overturned table)

reduce stats temporarily such as movement rate, or AC (can't properly defend if you are ducking under low ceiling)

---

Just some ideas that would be awesome for future expansion

ST the expanding

Offline marainein

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
The idea I was thinking of is that there is one combat I remember (*only one*) in Pool of Radiance, iirc; which you fight the enemy in a wilderness combat map with a river between you and them. You crossing the river greatly reduces your movement while in the river, but it is passable.

I don't remember this , but I'm in the process of pulling Pool of Radiance apart and putting it back together in DC, so if you could remember anything more about this particular combat, I'd be grateful.

I was thinking of things like the above. We currently do not even use the river graphics, nor did FRUA. But that was obviously something that they had on the todo list or something that was "in the works" to use.

My ideas for taking this further, define areas of the combat map which would do the following:

allow no movement, but would allow ranged weapon and targeted spells to pass thru -- something like an arrowslit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowslit)

allow cover from ranged (areas which would make penalties to ranged attacks coming in, such as hiding behind a tree, overturned table)

reduce stats temporarily such as movement rate, or AC (can't properly defend if you are ducking under low ceiling)
Precisely. One of the cornerstones of this dynasty of games has been tactical combat - in a form simple enough to learn, but just complex enough to be interesting. Adding some more, minor complexities could greatly enhance gameplay, IMHO.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
Nice thoughts to work in...

Blockage:
   move normal
   move half
   no move
   no move but effects pass through
   attach AURA

combatant placement
   party
   enemy

Quote from: SilentThief

These both go under the "attach AURA" option. :)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 03:11:09 AM »
The idea I was thinking of is that there is one combat I remember (*only one*) in Pool of Radiance, iirc; which you fight the enemy in a wilderness combat map with a river between you and them. You crossing the river greatly reduces your movement while in the river, but it is passable.

I don't remember this , but I'm in the process of pulling Pool of Radiance apart and putting it back together in DC, so if you could remember anything more about this particular combat, I'd be grateful.

I may be wrong about the river tiles being used in PoR:
http://i.imgur.com/2FJKmZU.png

according to this playthru on theGBgames, its Curse:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69523-lets-play-the-pools-saga-ssi-gold-box-classics/page-4
(about 3/4 of the way down the page)

seems that I mis-remembered the combat from way back being in PoR insteadof Curse

ST the rememberer