Author Topic: windows filemanager showing through during combat  (Read 183 times)

Offline arelim

windows filemanager showing through during combat
« on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
Hello. I took a long break from DC but came back and tried setting it up ... BUT ... I'm getting frustrating display issues during play.

Namely on various screens ... such as during combat ... the windows file manager 'blinks' onto the screen for half a second during frame updates ... so when a character is moving ... attacking ... that sort of thing. I've also seen it happen sometimes when I'm 'walking' in 3d view, the character creation page, and the initial 'begin adventure' menu ... but thats not as common or as big of a problem as combat ... combat it happens almost every time the character moves ... so a 'move' is ... flash of windows ... then back to dc ... flash of windows ... back to dc ... flash of windows ... back to dc ... this makes combat a very difficult thing to do ...

I am using the latest (DC 271) ... as for a 'mini-mod' ... It happens in the Events Attributes Demo ... (both with the version of the player it came with and the 271 version) ...

I am using windows 8.1 ... Smartscreen is off ... graphics card is AMD Radeon 7560D ...

Any ideas? Is DC just not going to be playable by me? :(

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: windows filemanager showing through during combat
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
This sort of thing happens to me, too.  I have not the
slightest notion of why it happens.  It seems (Not sure)
that certain applications show through the DC window.
It seems (not sure) that clearing the desktop of other
windows seems to help.  No idea what to do to debug this.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »
Quote from: arelim
Hello. I took a long break from DC but came back and tried setting it up ... BUT ... I'm getting frustrating display issues during play.

Namely on various screens ... such as during combat ... the windows file manager 'blinks' onto the screen for half a second during frame u/pdates ... so when a character is moving ... attacking ... that sort of thing. I've also seen it happen sometimes when I'm 'walking' in 3d view, the character creation page, and the initial 'begin adventure' menu ... but thats not as common or as big of a problem as combat ... combat it happens almost every time the character moves ... so a 'move' is ... flash of windows ... then back to dc ... flash of windows ... back to dc ... flash of windows ... back to dc ... this makes combat a very difficult thing to do ...

I am using the latest (DC 271) ... as for a 'mini-mod' ... It happens in the Events Attributes Demo ... (both with the version of the player it came with and the 271 version) ...

I am using windows 8.1 ... Smartscreen is off ... graphics card is AMD Radeon 7560D ...

Any ideas? Is DC just not going to be playable by me? :(
Hi arelim. :D Welcome back.

The quickest way for you to get around this is to run DC in "windowed" mode. I run it from the command line, so it looks like "DungeonCraft_2xx.exe -windowed". I have also used a shortcut, with the "-windowed" added on at the end of the program line.

I have had this issue for years when using 1024x768 fullscreen on a widescreen monitor. Paul has not been able to duplicate. I do not know if this occurs on a non-widescreen monitor as I do not have one. I do not believe Paul has been asked to recreate this problem recently.

Offline arelim

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »
Thank you both for the suggestions.

For Paul's suggestion ... this sort of worked. If I put the game on my start menu and closed filemanager before I ran it ... then it was better ... I still saw the windows taskbar during combat sometimes ... which isn't ideal ... but it was more playable.

Manikus's suggestion worked as well ... the drawback is that windowed mode appears to be a fixed window in the upper left corner ... and thats not really a natural place to look on the screen ... particularly since 640x480 works out to be a pretty small window on a 1920x1080 monitor ... but again its still better than it was.

To bad there isn't a way to automatically change my resolution when I run the game in windowed mode and then somehow have it switch back when I exit the game ...

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
I would bet this is a Windows 10 [8 & 7] issue, that happens with older software.  I have seen older applications that developed similar behavior after switching from XP. One in particular stays in front of everything until minimized; and there is no such option for this in the program.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »
On Windoze 10, I edited the properties of the DC executable
and checked  a box labeled "Run in 640 x 480 Resolution"
in the compatibility tab.  That made it work so long as I did
not move the cursor into the Windoze task bar area.  Well, it
worked so far.  I only played for a few minutes.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:23:27 PM »
I unchecked the 640x480 and tried running in Vista compatibility mode.
That seemed to make things a lot better, too.  Again, I only played for
a few minutes.

Offline arelim

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »
Okay... for a 640x480 resolution game ... I found a fix that seems to work pretty good ... set up a 'shortcut' to run the game in windowed mode ... and then go into the properties of the DC executable and set it to run in 640x480 ... and this works. No needing to worry about where the cursor is, etc.

It gets the stability of the windowed mode ... but looks like its in full screen mode ... best of both worlds.

Of course, it doesn't solve anything for a 1024x768 game ... but maybe that would be a large enough windowed mode to be usable.

Thanks for the hard work guys.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
Thanks for all of this - I've been dealing with this issue since I started with DC some 16 or 17 years ago. :D

When I really want to spend some time in 1024x768, I always fire it up in a VM where the only non-Win XP program installed in Bejeweled 3. ;) No icons show through.

anything