Poll

Which Invisible Stalker icon do you prefer? (see examples below)

0 (0%)
8 (88.9%)
I hate both of them
1 (11.1%)
Make Uatu do one
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 25, 2012, 04:17:05 PM

Author Topic: Vote on Invisible Stalker icon  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Jaesun

Re: Vote on Invisible Stalker icon
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
2 Looks fine. I'd even say maybe remove a bit more of the "outline" just to make it even more ... invisible.

Personally I would prefer it be entirely blank. Because when something invisible keeps attacking you, it makes for one hell of a tense situation. :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
What I would really like is to be able to use alpha channels on combat icons (not just on the viewport backdrops), that would solve the problem I think. :)

Personally, I don't want a blank icon - trying controlling one in combat, you get to find out where it is by bumping into things. Not quite the strategy I prefer to use. But, you raise an excellent point about the IS when it's an opponent. It would be very easy for a designer to have two versions - the default for "friend'y" Invisible Stalkers, and a duplicate version with the blank icon for "hostile" Invisible Stalkers. :)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
Personally, I don't want a blank icon - trying controlling one in combat, you get to find out where it is by bumping into things.

A very good point.  Have you considered attaching a spell with a linger icon in the shape of an invisible stalker to summoned invisible stalkers?

I haven't tried it yet because I don't have the summoning scripts.  ::)

Edit:  Hmm.  Linger Icons don't seem to work with monsters.  Bummer.  :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:41:24 PM by nologgie »
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
Personally, I don't want a blank icon - trying controlling one in combat, you get to find out where it is by bumping into things.

A very good point.  Have you considered attaching a spell with a linger icon in the shape of an invisible stalker to summoned invisible stalkers?

I haven't tried it yet because I don't have the summoning scripts.  ::)

Edit:  Hmm.  Linger Icons don't seem to work with monsters.  Bummer.  :(

It is really easy to give a script to a monster to control them - however because of a bug, if it's attached to the monster in the database, i.e. MonsterType, it will not work because at the moment, DC is not transferring any MonsterType SA to the Combatant. :( I suspect we (the developers) know how this occurred, and Paul should be able to fix it. That or a whole lot of scripts are borked. ;)

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »
It is really easy to give a script to a monster to control them - however because of a bug, if it's attached to the monster in the database, i.e. MonsterType, it will not work because at the moment, DC is not transferring any MonsterType SA to the Combatant. :( I suspect we (the developers) know how this occurred, and Paul should be able to fix it. That or a whole lot of scripts are borked. ;)

I'm not sure which ones you're referring to.  CreateMonsterCombatant and $RUN_CHAR_SCRIPTS work for most things.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

I'm not sure which ones you're referring to.  CreateMonsterCombatant and $RUN_CHAR_SCRIPTS work for most things.

Hooks like AutoAction, InvokeSpellOnTarget, IsValidTarget and ComputeSpellDamage. I know that I can use another script to call these scripts, but that seems silly.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
ComputeSpellDamage is supposed to search monsterType SAs, so I guess that's a bug.

Changing InvokeSpellOnTarget to negate the engine spell casting & control sounds kind of scary to me.

You're the boss, but at this point I'm more concerned about what still doesn't work.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
What doesn't work are virtually half to two-thirds of the monsters SA are partially or fully inoperable. The only changes I'm advocating to these Hooks is that either MonsterType is searched or MonsterTypeContext is allowed - as appropriate. :)

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »
What doesn't work are virtually half to two-thirds of the monsters SA are partially or fully inoperable. The only changes I'm advocating to these Hooks is that either MonsterType is searched or MonsterTypeContext is allowed - as appropriate. :)

I think this is primarily our fault.  :P

And it isn't just the monster scripts.  :(

I'm still having trouble getting the different variants of Protection From Evil/Good to play nicely together, but I think I can get there.  Except for the 10' radius linger effect that moves with the character, of course.  We don't have the hooks or functions to make it work as it should, but I think we can make something worthwhile.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
Well, since you and I have written all the scripts, it can only be our fault. ;)

I had thoughts about the 10' radius bit...what were they...oh it was using OnStep, and basically was attaching that to all Combatants that met the conditions, i.e. were evil. Then on each step they do a check to see how far away they are from the character with the spell on it.

Hopefully this week I will have a scripting break-through on the mosnter SAs and either won't need Paul to do anything or will at least know exactly what I would like him to do. But, I don't want the solution to be that every script that is on a monster in the mosnter database has to use CreateMonsterCombatant to utilize the rest of the Hooks. :)

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
So you're saying the fault lies not in our stars...

I thought of OnStep, but I couldn't think of a way to prohibit movement only in specific directions.

We need ComputeSpellDamage to work as the help file says it does.  It will see a lot of use in monsterType SAs.

What I was trying to get at about the "combatant only" SAs is that if they'll be used extremely rarely, and there is a reasonable way to accomplish the goal, it might not be worth spending a change.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
I hear you. I just think (and you likely agree) that if all we need to do to rectify an issue with a given Hook is to either add a context and/or a place to search, we should do it now. :)

anything