Author Topic: New as of engine 2.67: OnTimeElapsed Hook  (Read 337 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
New as of engine 2.67: OnTimeElapsed Hook
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
We now have a new Hook - OnTimeElapsed.

To read about it, visit Paul's documentation.
http://dianneandpaul.net/UAF/Help/SAOnTimeElapsed.html

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: New as of engine 2.67: OnTimeElapsed Hook
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
This tracks time for scheduling things such as events and such? This looks like it would help with setting up calendar events/counting days -- instead of that quest hack idea that we got from FRUA (which worked perfectly well for counting days, but not so much for other timekeeping)

ST the keeper

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:07:04 AM »
I was wondering for some time what the advantage is to the different scripts which already allowed us to get the party time.

But I understand that hook 9 would for example allow to count the total minutes elapsed since an event, is that correct?

E.g., if the party sets a time bomb which explodes after 125 minutes, such a thing could be done now quite easily?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
a time bomb .... could be done now quite easily

Very straight-forward; 'easily' depends on your perspective.

Before you use it for such a thing, let us talk about it.  I might
rather implement a more generic 'Timed Event' feature.  This would
allow 'time puzzles' like those in Dungeon Master where you
activate a switch and you have to get through a door before it closes.
Or the moving pit puzzles.  Or a combat appears unless you run
to the far corridor and deactivate the monster generator.  Etc.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 09:23:00 AM by Paul R. Stevens »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
I for one will say that I would like to have a "Timed Event" feature. I do many thiings in my designs that are along the lines of "you have 48 hours to enter the castle before they know you're coming".

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »
This is a feature request. Please forgive me jacking this thread for this, as it is kinda related, but only kinda.

IMHO I do not like the "pass time" event. It is rather limited in how it works. It is set up both in FRUA and DC to move the time forward. Thats it.

What I think would be great for this, or perhaps as an addon or something, would be the ability to trigger an event from the pass-time event or from a resting condition, based upon such and such a time. I think that you can trigger logic block off of a specified time, but this lacks the ability to do the following:

party rests, check for a specific time and then execute an event. The "checking for a specific time" trigger for the event will interrupt the resting condition to make the check, causing it to fail even if the specified time is not yet reached

The pass time event can "sort of" do this -- as in move time forwards to that specified time, but setting up a pass-time event lacks the ability to specify a resting condition (for spell memorization, for example).

---

What I propose for a better solution, would be the ability to specify a checkbox on the pass-time event, to in addition to whatever other settings are set, allow possibility for resting for spells/healing/fix to occur.

ST the resting
PS -- I have some more ideas for stuff with this, but I am 99.99% sure they are doable with the current setup. Most likely will have a bunch of scripting questions for both of you Manikus and Paul

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »
So, you want a "Make Party Rest" Event?

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
Well, I guess that kind if thing would work. Or perhaps the scripted ability to reset some or all cast spells/empty spell slots to what was previously memorized. We can already heal with a script/event, so these options would work along side of a pass time event.

I guess that I wanted to have the player have the option of thier characters to do something, while passing the time. Its not that big of deal I guess, I just have not really done much with the event

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
I always thought the Pass time event was to keep the player from being able to memorize their spells. Otherwise, you just let the player rest.

Coincidentally, we already have the power to script the characters to re-memorize spells. :D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »
well then, I formally withdraw the request -- as we can do this entirely now without it

ST the formal