Author Topic: Attention: One-Week Challenge  (Read 4726 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Attention: One-Week Challenge
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Myself, this will be my first FRUA module. I've been reading up on engine quirks, and trying to devise a story seed. As yet I've not even commenced the challenge, and am down to the last day. I won't be making the deadline, that's for certain; but I still plan to limit the development to a week, as part of the challenge.

I probably mentioned this already, but you are welcome to start a thread to ask questions about how things work in FRUA.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can probably speed up your learning process.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
1-week project update:  bah, going to be a bit late on this... the good news is this is not due to procrastination nor burnout. been burning candles north south east and west on this though:

Checklist so far:

* Story/Plot -- done
 * New Frame -- done
 * New Bigpics --  11 done
 * New Smallpics -- 79 done
 * New Sprites -- 21 done
 * New .TLB animated pics -- 11 done
 * New Gamefont -- done
 * New Always -- done
 * New titles -- done
 * New Wallsets -- 12 done
 * New Backdrops -- 6 done
 * New dungeon (ugh!  ) -- 2 done
 * New wilderness -- 3 done
 * New combat icons -- 43 done
 * New PC icon plate -- done

I'm not sure but I believe posting screenshots for this may spoil the bits I have planned :/  it's coming tho :)

Online Mechanaut

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
I probably mentioned this already, but you are welcome to start a thread to ask questions about how things work in FRUA.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can probably speed up your learning process.
Thank you; (and I've come to realize that in discovering much of my information [elsewhere] in three to ten year old posts by members that I see here).

I will certainly ask questions here when I have them.

Offline hans

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2017, 03:56:39 PM »
1-week project update:  bah, going to be a bit late on this... the good news is this is not due to procrastination nor burnout. been burning candles north south east and west on this though:

Checklist so far:

* Story/Plot -- done
 * New Frame -- done
 * New Bigpics --  11 done
 * New Smallpics -- 79 done
 * New Sprites -- 21 done
 * New .TLB animated pics -- 11 done
 * New Gamefont -- done
 * New Always -- done
 * New titles -- done
 * New Wallsets -- 12 done
 * New Backdrops -- 6 done
 * New dungeon (ugh!  ) -- 2 done
 * New wilderness -- 3 done
 * New combat icons -- 43 done
 * New PC icon plate -- done

I'm not sure but I believe posting screenshots for this may spoil the bits I have planned :/  it's coming tho :)

Sounds very exciting!  I'm very much looking forward to it!   :happy7:

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
So, today is the end of the week.  How's everyone coming along?

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
I did a final run through the module yesterday. Later today I will package up the zip file and txt description, then upload to the archive site.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
As written above, I will probably need two more days (meaning to more free days) to finish the design. But even though, I guess I can regard this as a personal success.  :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
Somehow I managed to "finish" the design in within seven days (but not a week), but I am sure that it still contains a lot of bugs. There is also an issue with the newest DC version causing graphic errors, so I will probably wait until these are solved before I publish the design.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
I'm going to call first official One-Week Challenge a success and suggest we revisit a similar idea again in a few months.  If we did this a few times a year, think of the influx of new modules that could be created.

For me, I find that I like working on shorter modules with some kind of time-limit to keep me motivated.  Maybe next time we'll make it a two-week challenge or something (open to suggestions).  Should we start a new thread?  Even if we do something six or eight months from now, think of all the prep time people would have...

Offline hans

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
I'm going to call first official One-Week Challenge a success and suggest we revisit a similar idea again in a few months...

Sounds good   :) 

We may still have a couple entrants yet to come, too.   ;D 

I would encourage all of the participating authors (as well as interested bystanders) to play as many of the other entries as you can, and then review them as you do (even quick, mini-reviews are always very welcomed by the authors).  Giving these brave, hard-working participants some feedback will make the Challenge a truly complete success.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:50:45 AM by hans »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2017, 01:00:25 AM »
I like the idea, too. I would then keep my second idea for the second challenge and instead of starting to work on it now play some of the already finished and coming FRUA and DC entries for the first challenge.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:05:37 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2017, 01:36:13 AM »
I think it has been a great success. Thank you Ben and all those who participated by creating a module. I did not, but it has helped to motivate me to make some progress with my ongoing project.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
I'd like to apologize to the FRUA community for dangling vaporware out there. I have a three-quarters-finished single-character mod, a half-finished EGA mod, and a barely-started-but-I-did-the-research sequel to Treasures of the Savage Frontier (with no sex addicts). I've got a very busy career and it has shifted into overdrive.

Maybe in a few years I can slow down and buy everyone the source code, but until then I am unlikely to play a major role. Thank you all for the wonderful games you create, 25 years after release of the construction kit.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »
a barely-started-but-I-did-the-research sequel to Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Null Null, out of curiosity, when you say you did the research, do you mean you were looking into the setting and characters and exploring story ideas? Or did you find existing hints of where the developers had planned to go with this series. I always felt that the Savage Frontier games were meant to be a trilogy. But by the time Treasures was released, SSI was ready to move on from the Gold Box engine.

"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
a barely-started-but-I-did-the-research sequel to Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Null Null, out of curiosity, when you say you did the research, do you mean you were looking into the setting and characters and exploring story ideas? Or did you find existing hints of where the developers had planned to go with this series. I always felt that the Savage Frontier games were meant to be a trilogy. But by the time Treasures was released, SSI was ready to move on from the Gold Box engine.

This has probably been stated before, but the Savage Frontier series was a trilogy. They consider Neverwinter Nights to be the third game in the series, officially. While it was not a traditional sequel one might expect, that's the story they have gone with.

anything