Author Topic: Attention: One-Week Challenge  (Read 3258 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Attention: One-Week Challenge
« on: January 21, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
Attention all module authors and potential mod designers!

We are attempting to put together a list of people who might want to become involved in a one-week module building challenge. In this challenge, an author would have seven days to complete a module.  The module can be of any length and have any number of hacks or artwork changes that the designer desires.  The only rule is that it must be completed in a week.

This challenge is meant to help designers throw away the shackles of perfectionism and to help them see something through to release.  I can promise you that this goal can be accomplished (I once took a four-day challenge, and completed a module with a day to spare). 

This isn't a contest.  There are no prizes (aside from releasing a module that other people can play).  You won't be judged (though I can't promise that your module won't be reviewed).  So, you have nothing to lose.  You don't even have to use your real name.

So, if you're interested, reply below and we'll set the whole thing in motion.  Beginning and end dates will be posted once we have enough people.

I will be taking part as well, so that brings the number of people taking part in this to:  10+.

Come on!  You can do it!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:05:46 AM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

Re: Attention: One-Week Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
I'll give it a go.   ;)

Online Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:00:51 AM »
I think that it might be a time for me to learn to make designs with FRUA :), sorry for not being able to make anything this time :/.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:02:49 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:23 AM »
Do you want to restrict this to FRUA? Otherwise, if a one-week-DC design would be okay, I would join if the time window was fitting. February would not work for me.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 05:42:58 AM »
When would this start?  I am a modder, but I'm terribly new with the FRUA editor. I have read the manual, and [I think] I understand the chained events model [mostly], but have zero insight about engine quirks & hazards, and so I wonder if I won't lose the week due to technical unfamiliarity... Otherwise, I'm still willing to give it a shot.... it would be my first serious DSN.

*It's shocking just how fun FRUA is to use though. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:44:47 AM by Mechanaut »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
The start time can be agreed upon by the people who are willing to become involved.  However,  I caution everyone not to cheat and do preliminary work on it before that date (except in the case of learning the actual toolset, as in the case of Mechanaut). That defeats the purpose of the challenge, and you will rob yourself of the victory of actually finishing your module in that time.

As far as to FRUA or DC, either can work, I suppose, since the outcome of the challenge is the same.  So, feel free to use DC if that's your preference.  As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, it's not a contest, but if you release a finished design...you're technically a winner and so is everyone who gets to play the result of your work.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:20:35 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »
When would this start?  I am a modder, but I'm terribly new with the FRUA editor. I have read the manual, and [I think] I understand the chained events model [mostly], but have zero insight about engine quirks & hazards, and so I wonder if I won't lose the week due to technical unfamiliarity... Otherwise, I'm still willing to give it a shot.... it would be my first serious DSN.

*It's shocking just how fun FRUA is to use though. :)

Going to reply to this separately.

Learning FRUA isn't hard.  If you have any questions about the toolset or need help figuring something out, go ahead and post a thread here in the General Discussion area, and I think you'll find a lot of eager people willing to answer any questions you have.  If you want to take part in this challenge (I highly recommend it!), I would use the time until then to learn as much as you can and get all your questions answered.

I will say, though, that I built my first adventure in two weeks time when I bought the toolset in 1993.  In those days, there wasn't a community to help out.  So, you're at an advantage in that regard.  But, nobody expects a first adventure to be perfect, and it's very much a learning process where people tend to get better and better as they release new adventures.  In the end, just know that everyone here will be rooting for you to be successful and that all critiques are meant to be helpful, since nobody in this community has a mean streak.

Good luck!  Hope to see you in the challenge.

Offline hans

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind a delay. 

It would give me time to review some art packs in our libraries, to re-familiarize myself with what's available (I wouldn't think that would be cheating). 

More than that, maybe it would give us time to convince a few more to participate, as the more new mods, the better for our community.  It would be great, for instance, if we could convince Ray and Nol to participate, as being two of our most experienced authors, it seems like this challenge would be a breeze for them.  ~And it's only committing to a weeks work.  Guys...?    :angel10:

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
I would like to try this as well, and a delay would be nice as I would have to get FRUA set up in DosBOX and verify that that is working properly (I have a chromebook which has a dosbox extention, and if that is not working properly I can always use the laptop which has dosbox available as well).

I did not think of doing DC design, as this looked to be only generating a lot of FRUA attention until dinonykos replied -- so I would now also have to decide which toolset to use...

ST the undecided

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:27:55 PM »
Someone mentioned that February wouldn't be good for them, so I suggest a start time as the first week of March.

I will repeat, once again, that this is a personal challenge and not a contest.  You win by completing the design and the community also wins when you do so.  Nobody is judging you.  If you cheat, you only cheat yourself. 

During the next month, you can do whatever prep you want, but if you want to be true to the challenge, you shouldn't start actually doing the FRUA or DC development until the challenge begins.  So, yes, you can script out a story or draw maps on paper or whatever you want to do over the next month.  (When I did the original four-day challenge, I started it cold with no idea what I would be doing...but that doesn't necessarily work for everyone and I recognize that). 

If that works for folks, then I will consider the challenge as officially started and us all in the planning stage for the next couple of weeks.  Should we start on March 1st (a Wednesday) or start on the first Monday of March (the 6th)?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:30:11 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »
I will join the challenge (if not something unexpected intervenes). I would prefer March 6th to some degree.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
I'm willing to give this a try. I don't expect to be able to make anything great in that time, but I guess that's the point. Consider me a plus one.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 05:29:35 AM »
Someone mentioned that February wouldn't be good for them, so I suggest a start time as the first week of March.
February won't be good for me either, because it's carnival season here [Louisiana], and for me that means constant work in the carnival mask business.  March sounds good to me.

As a side note/suggestion, have any here heard or played Grimrock? [a modern Dungeonmaster/ Eye of the Beholder clone]
For Grimrock, a bunch of us (forum members) made a dungeon for inclusion in a combined map; where the adventure passed through each on the way to the end.  Each modder had up to three areas for their room.
The way this was done, is that we hosted the project on Dropbox, and each modder edited their own parts of it. [not concurrently]

It occurs to me that it is at least possible to do the same in FRUA. Each participant could be allotted three [or more] modules, and X number of chained events; X number of art slots; and so on.  An experienced FRUA modder would need to decide a reasonable/practical number of assets for each modder, and decide what assets had to remain unedited, for use by all.  The rooms could be isolated buildings in town, encounters in the wild; secret crypts under the abbey, or private castle  or events like a circus just outside of town, etc...

**I'm not [necessarily] suggesting this for this current challenge, but [if determined feasible] as maybe the next one.  The Grimrock mods [three of them! Full length adventures] were very fun to make and play because each designer only knew their own contribution to it, and because it was a full size adventure; a lot more than what one person could design (and test!) in a week.

If anyone here plays Grimrock, and is interested in a good adventure mod these are the released 'One Room Round Robin' mods for Grimrock 1:

Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127828110
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241880858

Nexusmods:
http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/193/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/368/?

*Two are released, while number three is still in active development.
** The first was release before I'd heard of it, and so I worked only on the second and upcoming third mod in the series.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:44:10 AM by Mechanaut »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
I'm willing to give this a try. I don't expect to be able to make anything great in that time, but I guess that's the point. Consider me a plus one.

That's exactly the point.  I've upped to total to include you.

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »

I'm willing to try.  But, with the six year old and the six month old...and work crazier than ever...I've barely got time to sleep these days.

I'll say that I'm willing, and then I'll have to see what things look like when the date is decided on (and actually comes around).

It does sound like fun, though.  It's been a reallllllly long time...

anything