Author Topic: UA Design Apply  (Read 438 times)

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
UA Design Apply
« on: January 20, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
I've been working on a small tool to make playing hacked designs a bit easier. The user selects the main FRUA folder where CKIT.EXE resides and also selects the game design folder. After pressing Apply, my tools applies the DIFF.TBL to CKIT.EXE and moves the various files around as appropriate.  Before I release this publicly, I'd like to have a user or two test it's functionality and provide some feedback--preferably over this weekend.  :-\ If you're willing and interested, post here and I'll send a private message with the link.  :D

Offline Kaz-Keith

Re: UA Design Apply
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:10:33 PM »
Hey Don I would love to try this even though I use uashell.

As an aside, is there a way to apply multiple diff.tbls in an order or is it just the one (any) diff.tbl file that is in the .dsn folder?

Will test functionality and any other medians you propose.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »
I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this.  Maybe you should consider posting about it in the General Discussion area as well, as it's possible not a lot of people check the boards in this section.

Also, I'd be willing to check it out and let you know the results.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »
I would also be interested but I just fear that I don't have the time at the moment, which is why I had not responded.

Like Kaz, I use UA Shell.

One possible feature which I would like to see is the capacity to include "comments" in a DIFF.TBL to make it easier for the designer to identify what various lines in the file are doing (but which would be ignored when it is applied to modify CKIT.EXE). A program that would ignore comments in a DIFF.TBL when applying it, or which could convert a "commented" DIFF.TBL into an ordinary DIFF.TBL (no comments) would be useful.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:20:41 AM »
Steve, I fully intend on supporting comments. There are a few patch files in the PC module list that does this and I will implement in a future release. As an example, John Rudy's The Guild has a file called ckit.pat that includes comments:

Code: [Select]
!
! Patcher file for "The Guild"
!
! Bugfix changes
!
! Fix range of Elf weapons.
B1
G25180
+22
S6
+26
!
! Fix dual-classing data access.
B1
G33339
+7
+114
G262221
+7
+115
G384619
+7
+114

Unless a better choice comes along, I'd like to gradually expand the functionality of this utility to create and package modules too. Baby steps though. :D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
An easy way to apply hacks? This is a good idea. I have not yet gotten into any of the hacked designs because last time I tried I was not able to get them working.

I would like to try this out

ST the hack

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 04:58:12 PM »
I've tried it out.  This definitely makes it easy to apply hacks to a design.  There are still a few kinks in the system to work out, I think, but when it's done this will definitely be a great boon to the FRUA community.  I can't give enough praise, honestly.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
I've tried it briefly. It seems to work well in applying my in-progress design, which has quite a lot of CKIT hacks. I agree that this is much more user-friendly for players than having to set up and run UA Shell.

It would be great if it were possible to add a button to the UADAP program that would allow you to launch FRUA (with the hacks applied). Then it would become a one-stop shop for players to apply hacks and launch the module for play. However, I suppose this would be rather difficult because most people (me included) need to run FRUA through DOSBOX; it is not as simple as a command line to run CKIT.EXE or START.BAT.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »
SilentThief, I've sent a PM with the download link. Hopefully this works well for you as your experience with FRUA will be much more enriched with playing hacked designs.

Ben, thank you for the positive comments and the PM with feedback. I'll hold them until I have some more time to code again...probably not until this weekend.

Steve, a button to launch FRUA is another good idea. I'll throw that in the wishlist too. I'll need to think through an easy user experience to set that up though. DOSBOX allows shortcuts to be run when the configuration files are preset and that's how the GOG.com version is set up. I've used D-Fend Reloaded as my DOSBOX front end for a while and similarly, you can set up shortcuts that could be launched from a button within UADAP.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »
You could always include an option to set up a path to whatever version of DOSBox people want to use (for example, I don't use the standard DOSBox 0.74...I use an alternative fork that allows for state-based saves and some extra graphic filters).  Also, include a link to whatever directory FRUA is installed.

Then, just launch that version of DOSBox, pointing to the ckit.exe file in that FRUA directory (where, we assume, the design directory is also located). 

Apparently, the command line parameter "dosbox ckit.exe" is all it takes (haven't tested it, mind you, just found it in the documentation).  When you run DOSBox this way, if the file you point to is an executable file, it mounts the directory where that file exists as the C: drive, and then runs that program.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
Sorry I haven't had time to test this out... but it sounds like something I've been wanting for a while now: a replacement for UAShell.

Thank you, Donnie!
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
Well, I've tweaked UADAP a bit and have uploaded it to Rosedragon:

http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/hacks/uadap.txt
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/hacks/uadap.zip

Hopefully folks will find value in this and communicated back to me if any issues are discovered or more ideas are to be suggested.  :D
_____

Ben, great suggestion for launching DOSBox. I've banked it for a future release. I've also slightly altered the behavior of reverting changes so FRUA doesn't stay with the previously selected design.

Keith, UADAP will now apply any TBL files found in the design folder. I like this idea as I can drop custom TBL into other author's designs to supplement theirs.

Steve, remarks are now supported in TBL files. Start the line with an apostrophe and UADAP will ignore it.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 07:35:17 PM »
A couple more suggestions:

1) I noticed that you cannot apply a new design until you revert whatever design you previously had applied. I know with UAShell, you can apply a design when you already have one applied, so I didnt know if you were planning to replicate that functionality.  I assume you could do this by checking to see if the design folder has changed, and when the user goes to apply it, return everything to default and then apply that design.  Up to you, though.  I don't know how much you intended to do with the program.

2) Would it be possible in the design selection field to filter out all folders except those that end in .dsn? 

Even if you do nothing with these suggestions, thank you for putting time into this fantastic tool. I think this will make it easier on newcomers to play hacked modules.

anything