Author Topic: Sprites with both sides  (Read 420 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Sprites with both sides
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
I have seen Dinonykos using sprites that have front and back. How can I do that too? I was thinking to add more sprites in the future and figured if I do front I might as well do back but how to use them that figures have both sides in the game?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Sprites with both sides
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
I would assume you would draw both sides. Then show whichever side is appropriate.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
Yes I know but I would like to have front face on the one side and on the other back so if someone passes he can see both sprites. I guess it is not that much important I was just curious if it can be done without too much trouble.

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »
Sprites with fronts and back, or sides, etc is not the correct way to think of them. just like prophetSword suggested, you do both (or more) views.
You have a sprite for the front of the figure and a sprite for the back of the figure.

It's just like doing a smallpic or icon of the front or back, you need one of each view to show them.

As for when they are used, that is just event placement. :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »
Yes, I think I understood. I need one front face for talk and combat and I need back side for backstab or pick pocket attempts. I know how to do art.

Question is how can I have both faces in one event, or can it be done. For example if thief wants to backstab or pickpocket someone, he would sneak from behind. for the same person paladin would attack challenging him to combat or just talk.

I know this might be a bit complicated but just imagine orc on the street and thief trying to attack from behind. Maybe it is a bit too much, but I would like to have maybe also some option for combat start with oponent surprised.

I was just thinking about that, I know Dinonykos have used some scripts to achieve things like that in his designs.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:10:22 PM by Milos Gulan »

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:17:19 PM »
You are confusing "event" with "event chain", I think. Your first event would check to see if the active character is a thief, and if yes show the image of the back of whomever it is. If event doesn't fire, then the next event down the chain would check to see if the active character is a paladin and if it is then this event would show the target from the front.

As for combat, there are 3 options - 1) no one surprised 2) party surprised 3) monsters surprised.. Been there about 15 years or so I reckon. ;)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
 ;D great, I still can't believe it though I found some thread on Ironworks forum I think old at least 10 years. But I found answer here and learn what I needed, thanks to Dinonykos http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2939.msg40852#msg40852. Now I just need to add step events :) and improve guilds. This was not so important question but I was thinking better to ask.

Thanks for help btw :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 06:05:40 AM »
Sorry, I missed this earlier.

What I do and what Milos probably means is what I call "NPC walls". So, instead of using a sprite which can only appear in the framework of events and will disappear afterwards, I take the NPC and put him in different sizes in the respective slots of the wall template. In most cases, I only show the front of the NPC, assuming that he/she/it would sense the party and automatically turn to the party members. But in some cases I made two or even four different views of the same NPC (behind, front, sometimes also left, right). A nice example is "Friedrich's Revenge", where you can sneak into a building while a monster shows its back, but only at certain times. If you pass by at the false time, the creature will see you (thus show its front).

With this approach, you can quite easily do what Milos wants to achieve, including stealing or attacking from behind, and you can do it in different ways. And in case you want to move the NPC, you can use the options to change walls (script/logic block).

The concept in most of my designs is that NPCs who generally stay at the same place (guards, barkeepers, traders etc.) are depicted as "NPC walls", while characters who wander around are handled with sprites.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »
Thanks, Dinonykos. :) THat does make things a lot clearer. I should have thought of the NPC walls...

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 08:47:41 AM »
Yes, that is it. Thank You, although Manikus solution is also very good and functional. I will probably use it first then NPC walls, only I will need to learn how to do that. Maybe You could help me a bit with that later?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »
If you post the NPC you want to have as NPC wall with views from front, left, right and back, all in reasonable resolution, I can do the wall for you.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 02:44:03 AM »
Ok, I need them from front and back, I didn't thought about left and right, but it sure will be better with it.

I need those scripts and tutorial how to do it by myself too. I can post pictures as soon as I have them ready, I will try doing that tonight after work. Thank You!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
My idea was to show in this thread how I make the NPC walls based on your sprite as an example, so that you can do it yourself afterwards.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »
Ok, I will do it soon, I was a bit busy last few days :)

anything