Author Topic: What items would you like to see added to DC?  (Read 401 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
What items would you like to see added to DC?
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
This is an open-ended poll. :D

What items would you like to see added to DC?
I have decided to add some items to the default DC databases, and am willing to add more. I am also willing to do an add-on type package of items. So, list anything you want to see added and I will decide which category to put it in. :D

What am I adding for sure? I am adding magic rings - elemental immunity and resistance for acid, cold, electricity and fire. 3 of the 8 already exist, so I am adding the other 5. I am also adding a "vulnerable" version of each as cursed rings. I am also going to go through and add cursed items for each of teh (major) weapon, shield and armor types.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: What items would you like to see added to DC?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »
From other games, e.g. might and magic and eye of the beholder 2, I remember items that could be combined to something new (e.g. mixing potions etc.). Not sure if this would fit with DC, but it is a nice aspect.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »
From other games, e.g. might and magic and eye of the beholder 2, I remember items that could be combined to something new (e.g. mixing potions etc.). Not sure if this would fit with DC, but it is a nice aspect.

I don't think that is something that I would put in the default package - I don't recall ever being able to do that in AD&D, which is not to say that it couldn't be done in the pen and paper game, just that I've not seen it.
However, as you mention it is in lots of other games, including one of my all time favorite old school games Ragnarok (later renamed Valhalla), where you could mix potions and blesss them for greater effect and enchant them for an even greater effect. In scripting terms this is easy, and something already happens in DC - a poion with 3 uses, when used, gets swapped out for a potion with 2 uses, etc. and all potions when completely drank get swapped for an "empty vial". Scrolls when used become blank parchment through the same method. :D I have done this because I thought that at some time I would like to show how people how to abilities of alchemy and scroll writing. :)

Since combining of potions seems like something very specific to a particular design, perhaps doing a tutorial on how to accomplish this -> with easy scripts to just fill in the designer's own names <- would be most helpful?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:18:24 PM by manikus »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:54:14 AM »
Correction for my post above: I meant Lands of Lore 2 - I think Eye of the Beholder 2 did not have mixable items.

In "Friedrich's Revenge" I allowed the player to break empty flasks and use them as weapons... :) I think I used the "Examine" Event for that and just removed one item from the inventory and added another without any scripting. But as always, I would be interested in more effective ways to do such things...

As for the original question - it would be good to have examples for more complicated items which e.g. change character stats like strength etc., and examples for all types of weapons even if they are unusual, e.g. boomerang, kusari-gama, blowtube with poison darts and such things.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:31:26 AM »
I would actually like to see a randomized item list thing, similar to the Leveled Lists used in the Elder Scrolls series. You'd have a "randomized item" item that contains a list of possible items that could spawn, and the game would choose only one of them. If you say, made a list containing different weapons, and put the list in a monster's inventory, whenever you'd encounter that monster in game, it would be carrying a different weapon each time. Essentially like the Random Event, except for items.

I think some Gold Box games actually utilize this type of feature; the hint books would refer to them as a "random magical item", and you might get something like a Military Pick +1, Halberd +1, or other minor magical item from loot, and would get a different one each time if you saved and reloaded before the encounter.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »
Correction for my post above: I meant Lands of Lore 2 - I think Eye of the Beholder 2 did not have mixable items.

In "Friedrich's Revenge" I allowed the player to break empty flasks and use them as weapons... :) I think I used the "Examine" Event for that and just removed one item from the inventory and added another without any scripting. But as always, I would be interested in more effective ways to do such things...
No, your way sounds the best. I would just have the event be done with a script instead of a particular even, i.e. Logic Block, to remove and add a new event.

As for the original question - it would be good to have examples for more complicated items which e.g. change character stats like strength etc., and examples for all types of weapons even if they are unusual, e.g. boomerang, kusari-gama, blowtube with poison darts and such things.
Good idea. :) Boomerang and blow gun are in the PHB for sure. This default items database was originally created to duplicate all of the items in the GoldBox games. I have added some things, like pole-arms, but generally spend my tme working on special things, like fixing bugs. :D
As for items which modify characters in some way, there are many fine examples in other AD&D CRPGs that do this, and I've thought that they would be fun to add my own designs, but might as well do them for everyone to use. :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »
I would actually like to see a randomized item list thing, similar to the Leveled Lists used in the Elder Scrolls series. You'd have a "randomized item" item that contains a list of possible items that could spawn, and the game would choose only one of them. If you say, made a list containing different weapons, and put the list in a monster's inventory, whenever you'd encounter that monster in game, it would be carrying a different weapon each time. Essentially like the Random Event, except for items.

I think some Gold Box games actually utilize this type of feature; the hint books would refer to them as a "random magical item", and you might get something like a Military Pick +1, Halberd +1, or other minor magical item from loot, and would get a different one each time if you saved and reloaded before the encounter.
This is another good idea. :)
Let me make sure I have this - you want the monster to drop a different item each time it is defeated, and to drop each one only once?
I don't see why this can't be done. I already know how to choose a random item from a delimited list, and I already know how to add items to a delimited list. Since I can add to a delimited list, I can probably subtract from one as well. :) Now subtracting from the end is easiest, but if the end item is always the "random" item, well it would only be random the first and maybe second time a player ran through the game.
If I can't figure it out, I will call in help from the big guns. :D

Edited to add:
I've just had a look through the help documents, and this will not be hard to do at all. Why? Because Paul has wisely given us a function to return a delimited list minus the filtered item, it then the new list becomes the list. :)
This can make random monster encounters feel very much like GoldBox games without having to create 10 versions of every monster, or 10 versions of every combat, etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:44:43 PM by manikus »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
Jadefang ~
How about this... At some early point in the game you need to create a Global ASL that is a delimited list Then, for each combat you have a GPDL script set to run as a trigger that gives a different item each time to a particular creature, in my example, I use the Ogre Knight.
Code: [Select]
$VAR lst;
$VAR cnt;
$VAR trsr;
$VAR nwlst;
lst = $GET_GLOBAL_ASL ("Ogre_Treasure_Drop");
cnt = $RANDOM($DelimitedStringCount(lst));
trsr = $DelimitedStringSubstring(lst, cnt);
$GIVE_CHAR_ITEM($Name("Ogre Knight"), trsr);
nwlst = $DelimitedStringFilter(lst, trsr, "AndNot");
$SET_GLOBAL_ASL("Ogre_Treasure_Drop",nwlst);
$RETURN "1";

This gives the item to the Ogre Knight to be found at the end of combat, of course it is also there for the Ogre Knight to use. If you didn't want that, you could use the script with a Combat Treasure event, with modiications since there is no Ogre knight to give anything to (honestly, not sure if it could be done this way, might need to do a Logic Block event).

Dinonykos~ I started looking for a list of items from the NeverWinter Nights games, and just ended up looking at art and new designs to download and play. :) I'll try again.
Edited to add:
I found them, for some reason five of them have animals in their names, but the sixth doesn't. I'll probably give it one when I make them. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:55:33 PM by manikus »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 01:41:16 PM »
Okay Dinonykos et al, check out this thread for some new potions that temporarily increase a character's attributes (one for each).

What kind of permanent items would you like? I mean an item that will change an attribute until it is put on and change it back when taken off.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »
Look at me, all respondy to my own responses. ;)

I have two more items that change a character's attributes. I think these were more along the line of what you were asking for, Dinonykos. These are both worn items that add a bonus when worn, and remove teh bonus when taken off.

Since there is already a really straight-forward example of this in the database (Gauntlets of Ogre Power, girdle of Giant Strength), I opted for ones that are a little bit more complicated, but should still be easy enough for designers to change to meet their own needs.

First, an item that raises a character's intelligence and improves their saving throw versus Spells. It works for all classes, but if used by a magic user, it doubles the amounts.
Diadem of Clear Thoughts

Second, an item that raises a cahcater's dexterity and pick pocket skills. The lower the character's DEX score, he bigger the bonus, and if the character is not a thief or assassin, it gives them the skill of pick pocketing while worn.
Even better, this is from the Dungeon Master's Guide, so I will add this to the default databases.
Gauntlets of Dexterity

If there are any questions about how these work, let me know, as I know the answer. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
Great! Thank you!

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 01:28:08 AM »
I probably am being difficult on this, and of course my preferred method for this would be to do it myself, but here goes:

I have always been a big fan of the mace of disruption. Its very powerful versus undead, and even (if I remember correctly) other-planar creatures such as demons/devils (or baatezu/tanari, if you prefer).

This one will even be harder -- the ring of spell storing. This item has the ability to cast spells stored in it, meaning that it can give additional spells to a spellcaster, or give spellcasting ability to a non-spellcaster. Making this rechargable would probably be more difficult still

While I really like these items/abilites, they tend to range in the upper level of power, so I always considered them important quest items (never random) and/or would possibly remove them if needed ("Your god smiles upon your success of overcoming the undead hordes. He takes the `Saints Mace` back, to use again when it is needed")

ST the disruptor

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »
Let me see...

If the Mace of Disruption is a normal mace, with a magical bonus and an extra bonus when used against undead, no problem (even counting in lower planes creatures). :D

Ring of Spell Storing - if it only holds one spell at a time, this can totally be done now. :) If it can hold more than one, well it might be able to be done now, certainly the storing part, just don't know about choosing a particular one when casting.