Poll

Which Pantheon (from Deities & Demigods) should be done as an add-on for DC?

American Indian Mythos
0 (0%)
Arthurian Heroes
2 (7.4%)
Babylonian Mythos
1 (3.7%)
Mesoamerican Mythos
0 (0%)
Celtic Mythos
1 (3.7%)
Chinese Mythos
0 (0%)
Cthulhu Mythos
0 (0%)
Egyptian Mythos
5 (18.5%)
Melnibonéan Mythos
0 (0%)
Finnish Mythos
1 (3.7%)
Greek Mythos and Heroes
6 (22.2%)
Indian Mythos
1 (3.7%)
Japanese Mythos
0 (0%)
Nehwon Mythos
1 (3.7%)
Nonhuman's Deities
2 (7.4%)
Norse Mythos
7 (25.9%)
Sumerian Mythos
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Which Pantheon?  (Read 770 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Which Pantheon?
« on: August 10, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
I recently just watched Gods of Egypt and thought, "I should really do something along these lines". a quick look through the book (Deities & Demigods) and it seems that  if I can do Outer Planes creatures, I should be able to do Avatars. :D

So....which one should I do?

Pick your top 3.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:23:57 PM by manikus »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Which Pantheon?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 10:59:19 PM »
My preference: 1. Greek/Roman, 2. Egyptian, 3. Norse.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
My preference: 1. Greek/Roman, 2. Egyptian, 3. Norse.

I would have to sa those are my top three as well, though not necessarily in that order (the order depends on whatever I am reading or watching, etc).

I forgot about the pantheons in Dragon Magazine...I think most made it into Deities & Demigods,, though. I am not going to change the poll. :D

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
If I could pick 3 instead of 1, they would be:
1. Norse
2. Nonhuman
3. Arthurian
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »
If I could pick 3 instead of 1, they would be:
1. Norse
2. Nonhuman
3. Arthurian

Okay, I have edited the poll - you can vote for 3.

The Arthurian Mythos is almost entirely heroes if I recall correctly. I'll take a look at it, maybe we can do something about adding some of them without too much changing of the SA database.
Edited to add:
There are only five characters which present anything beyond what DC can handle now. The three knights are completely doable (Arthur, Green Knight, Invisible Knight) so really the only two that will require some work are Merlin and Morgan La Fey who both require the illusionist class (on the way)  and Merlin also has psionics which may or may not be translatable.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:20:26 PM by manikus »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »
I voted for Greek/Roman, but also would like to see slavic :), actualy I would like to see everything in DC available for use. Hope it might be done.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:04:58 AM »
Egypt (with Set, the snake god who is found across many fictional pantheons), babylon for something that is (somewhat) historic and yet far enough in the past to be fairly unfamiliar, and norse becuz I am a fan of the Viking history/mythology.

ST and his 2 cents

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
I read the Arthurian Heroes section last night...graphics aside, we're really just several items away from being able to do the knights right now. Well, King Arthur has 5 levels as a bard (but none as magic user or thief, which in 1e are prereqs for being a bard). I'll look into doing those items sooner rather than later. :D And once I finish the illusionists add-on, you can do Merlin and Morgan La Fey.

Babylonian/Sumerian pantheons are important in AD&D because many of the named devils and demons were gods/demi-gods in the Bab/Sum mythos. Also, I have several version of an icon for Marduk - one based on the 1e info, one based a book of mythology and one loosely based on an episode of the GhostBusters cartoon. ;)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
Around 10 seems to be a mgic number for polls in the forum, so I guess the survey is pretty much done, but I will leave the voting open just in case...

The pantheons that I will work on are
1)  Norse
2)  Greek/Roman
3)  Egyptian

However, I will also make all of the specialty items needed for the Arthurian heroes. I will likely also do some of the non-human deities because they will coincide with something else I am working on.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 07:01:58 AM »
I also voted for these three (Egypt/Norse/Greek), but the remaining Near East God(desse)s would be interesting, too.

Similarly to your superhero poll, Manikus, to me the most interesting thing is how you technically do the different god types.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
I haven't started work on any of this yet (not counting the Arthurian weapons). This is just so wide-open that nothing I do will be exactly like the entry or what we think of in myths. It will be the DC version of the AD&D version. :D  I think that creating some of the arch-devils and dmon lords will give me a hint as how to proceed, as they are very powerful monsters, perhaps even the level of demi-gods or minor deities.

anything