I have updated Old School Computer Game (link in my signature). Your existing saved games will not work with this new release - before you download and play this version, please load up any games with characters you want to keep and export them to disk in the manage party view.
Added specialist magic-user classes: Abjurers, Conjurers, Diviners, Enchanters, Illusionists, Invokers, Necromancers and Transmuters
Added demi-human specialists: Elf Diviner, Elf Enchanter, Gnome (now specializes in illusion), Half-Elf Conjurer, Half-Elf Diviner, Half-Elf Enchanter, Half-Elf Transmuter
Added half-elves - like elves, they are essentially fighter/magic-user hybrids, but are better fighters and worse magic-users than full-blooded elves.
"Attack roll required" spells are now easier to hit with. The target's AC is 9, modified only by their dexterity bonus. If the caster is making a ranged attack, they have the THAC0 of a fighter; for touch attacks, they use their own base THAC0.
Blinded characters can no longer aim missile weapons or cast targeted spells; this severely limits blinded spell casters' available spells and creatures that depend on ranged weapons. Blinding characters, or using darkness-causing spells, is now a useful tactic.
Some spells with area effects (e.g. wall of fire, blade barrier) now block vision. This means they limit spell casters and creatures using ranged attacks. Spells that block vision are identified in their descriptions. As shooting a moving target with a bow, or casting a spell, requires precision, I was liberal in considering which spells block vision - a spell does not have to cause absolute darkness to make a ranged shot impossible.
Some new magical spells are only available to specialists of that school. I have used this as a way to make specialists ... special, and to give them spells that would otherwise be a level or two higher. The standard spells that were already in the game remain available to all magic-users.
New General Spells: Armour, Chromatic Orb, Clone, Darkness, Consign To Oblivion, Continual Darkness, Detect Evil, Detect Secret Doors, Dismiss From Mind, Disjunction, Divining Rod, Enervation, Expeditious Retreat, Floating Disc, Fog Cloud, Forget, Greater Malison, Imprisonment, Irresistible Dance, Locate Object, Magic Missile Storm, Magnificent Magic Missile Storm, Major Magic Missile Storm, Malison, Mass Invisibility, Monster Summoning I-VII, Permanency, Protection From Normal Missiles, Regeneration, Shadow Magic Cone Of Cold, Shadow Magic Fireball, Shadow Magic Ice Storm, Shadow Magic Lightning Bolt, Simulacrum, Summon Shadows, Temporal Reinstatement, Temporal Stasis, Time Stop, Trollish Fortitude, Wail of the Banshee, Wall of Fog
New School Spells (spells limited to school specialists): Filter, Foresight, Magic Missile II, Premonition, Presience, Prying Eyes, Wall of Darkness
- Blur now grants a reflex saving throw to avoid damage from missile attacks
- Chill Touch inflicts more damage, and weakness instead of paralysis
- Clairvoyance used to give information about the Known World; now it gives information about what is on the other side of a door
- Cone of Cold no longer has a saving throw for half damage (how does one dodge temperature anyway?
- Flaming Sphere now blocks vision
- Heal is now unique to the school of Necromancy
- Magic Missile now does less damage
- Rainbow Pattern is now a 4th level spell (up from 3rd)
- Read Magic now scribes all of the caster's scrolls into their spellbook (excepting those the already know, and those they are not allowed to cast)
- Scorcher now affects five squares (up from 4), but is capped at 3d6 damage (down from 1d6/level)
- Shocking Grasp now does more damage
- Slow gets a saving throw, but with a -4 penalty
New Map Generation Style: 'gauntlet'
New Maps: three new crypt templates
New Tiles: angled and curved corner tiles, descending stairs
If you find any problems with the game, or want to propose improvements, please post them here.
Thank you for playing!