Author Topic: Pool of Radiance Resources  (Read 3272 times)

Offline marainein

Re: Pool of Radiance Resources
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »
Thanks - my fault! I only looked at one of your three posts. Now I'm having some problems getting the sprites to work. What's the proper way of doing: Sprite approaches -> animated smallpic with text -> combat?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »
Thanks - my fault! I only looked at one of your three posts. Now I'm having some problems getting the sprites to work. What's the proper way of doing: Sprite approaches -> animated smallpic with text -> combat?

Not sure what you are asking...how to use sprite or how to chain events? Or maybe what events to use?
You can have a sprite "approach" the party using the Encounter Event. You can either choose to have the sprite approach little by little (with button pushes in between) or auto approach ( a setting in the animation when you choose your image).
For the second event, use Text Statement. The animation is set when and where you pick the image.
For Combat, choosing sprite or animated smallpic, "approach" or whatever is set when and where you load image.

Offline marainein

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:43 PM »
That's what I tried to do - but I couldn't get it to work. I guess my query is 'how do I use sprites?'. I want a sprite to appear and automatically advance towards the party, as it does in the gold box games - but I can't get it to work.

The nearest I can do is use the encounter event with a button the player has to select to advance the sprite manually - but I want it to happen automatically.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »
Okay, I will see what I can come up with.

Dinonykos is likely the best resource on this topic. He has made more designs than anyone and I know he uses sprites. :)

edited to add:

Okay, I can't get sprites to work in a Text Statement or Encounter event. In the first case, animation does not do anything, and in the second case, no picture at all.
I will keep working on this, which I think means making a mini-mod for Paul.

further edited to add:

Okay, Text Statement event is doing what it is supposed to do. I found some notes. :) Sprites is not meant to auto-approach for that event, rather a paritcular frame is selected to be viewed. The dirty work-around is to used 3 chained Text Events.
I suspect that Encounter is doing what it was designed to do as well - I can find no reference to any event allowing a prite auto-approach.

Do you know offhand if the Encounter event in FRUA allows an auto-approach? Because if that is the case, we will need to make our event at least somewhat compatible with FRUA for importing purposes.

yet further edited to add:

I have been playing in FRUA, and the only event that has auto-approach is Combat. The DC Combat event has a checkbox for "auto Apporach" but checking it doesn't seem to cause an Auto Approach.
Now I have a bug, and that I can work with. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:34:08 PM by manikus »

Offline marainein

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
Okay, I can't get sprites to work in a Text Statement or Encounter event. In the first case, animation does not do anything, and in the second case, no picture at all.
I will keep working on this, which I think means making a mini-mod for Paul.
Thanks manikus :)

My experience was you could get an image in Encounter if you had buttons enabled - otherwise the event just doesn't seem to work.

My goal here is sprite autoapproach -> animated smallpic -> combat. So I'd like a chainable way of having sprites auto approaching, and fixing auto approach in the combat event won't be enough, unless you add a feature to display a second image there after the sprite.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »
First we fix the bugs, then we add things. :D :D :D

Right now, you would need 8 events to do this -> 3 Text Statement Events to emulate the sprite's Auto Approach, one TS for the animated smallpic, another three TS for the second Auto Approach and the combat.

Offline marainein

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »
I hope I am not repeating what I have already done, but, whatever. :) I'll upload it when I get to a point where I feel that is a good place to stop.
Me too - that's mainly what I'm trying to figure out now - also, where are we regards to the other databases - items, spells, special abilities?

Id din't realize that there were so many bleedin' monsters in the monster database. :D I have fixed it so it will load without any errors, and then decided to jusst start at the top and finish all the monsters. Finish means adding special abilities, filling in form, penalties, misc options, etc and adding spells to attacks for things like poison and draining.
I have gotten down to teh first instance of poisonous frog.

Inn regards to the other databases., I don't know. :) I do know that so far there are only three items in the monster database that are not in the items database. When I am done with the monster database I will add how many ever items to the default item database.
Then, we will talk about spells. I presume there are some in PoR that are not in DC. I will make those and then spellcaster items for NPCs and monsters to use them. Then add appropriate spellcaster items to the many spellcasters in the monster database. Then, I will grab all of the special abilities from the other databases to check against the default SA database and create any that are needed.
If this sounds like a lot of work, it is. :)
Ok - so you have more recent databases than the ones included in PoR_WIP2.dsn? I'd like to be able to use the updated versions, and to co-ordinate better on this somehow.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
The only db that is more updated is the monster db. I won't update the others until I'm finished ith this, else it is too hard for me to keep track of what I have done.

i've attached what I have - it should be completely functional. What it is missing are special abilities for some of the monsters, as well as the "form" "penalty" "immunity" and "misc options" key words.

Offline marainein

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
To help with teamwork here, do you want to get a sourceforge/github/bitbucket/whatever project going for this, or just keep posting attachments to the forums?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
It's really ust the two of us, so lets keep using the forum with attachments.

I will try and do some more on this soon, but have a lot going on life right now, so no idea about timeframe.

Offline marainein

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
It's really ust the two of us, so lets keep using the forum with attachments.

I will try and do some more on this soon, but have a lot going on life right now, so no idea about timeframe.
No worries - I'll keep chipping away at it, and posting updates here.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
It is amazing what one can do while being on hold on the phone...

The ability, baseclass, class and race databases attached should be done.

The item and monster databases are completely workable (thri-kreen will kick up an error until get you a revised spells database)

There is one special ability that I don't know how to make: tyranthraxus_unknown_power_half_damage Do you know what this is supposed to be?

Re: items-
what do you want me to do about items? There are many more in the default database than in PoR. Do you want me to take them out? Is there a master list of items so that I don't take too many out? I don't know that it matters.
Secondly,  we need to figure out what to do for "potion" and "wand". These work as items, but presumably not everyone has the exact same potion and the exact same wand.
Thirdly, scrolls are handled different in PoR/FRUA than in DC. Cleric scrolls generally have two random spells and mage scrolls generally have three random spells. DC scrolls are only one spell per scroll. And they are currently assigned to a monster (as opposed to a random scroll given to a monster). A solution I am willing to try (with help) is to figure out a way so that monsters can be given a script somewhere (item or special ability or ....) that will assign a random item at start of combat.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2017, 07:30:53 PM »
A solution I am willing to try (with help) is to figure out a way so that monsters can be given a script somewhere (item or special ability or ....) that will assign a random item at start of combat.

I know that this is more PoR than otherwise, but this could be a nice addition to scripts and/or features. The humanoids (goblinkind, orcs, etc) always had listings for random weapons which was kind of a cool idea. Kind of the idea that they had "whatever they happened to find" which is a little more detailed am more sensible than all goblins have shortswords and leather armor. In most cases, its not like they were outfitted the exact same for an army....

ST the army of none

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
what do you want me to do about items? There are many more in the default database than in PoR. Do you want me to take them out? Is there a master list of items so that I don't take too many out? I don't know that it matters.

Jhirvonen had a list of all the items in Pool of Radiance which he posted in the Pool of Radiance Hub, but the link seems to be broken.

I've attached Jhirvonen's list of POR items:
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline marainein

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
It is amazing what one can do while being on hold on the phone...

The ability, baseclass, class and race databases attached should be done.

The item and monster databases are completely workable (thri-kreen will kick up an error until get you a revised spells database)
Excellent! I've imported them, and they appear to be working.

There is one special ability that I don't know how to make: tyranthraxus_unknown_power_half_damage Do you know what this is supposed to be?
No, the only thing I can think of is that he's a bronze dragon, and I believe has some resistance to lightning...I'll check his full powers as described in the Ruins of Adventure module, and see if they match his special abilities in the monsters.txt

Just leave them in there, unless you can think of a reason why it's going to be a problem?