Author Topic: QUESTION: Challenge Level Setting  (Read 493 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
QUESTION: Challenge Level Setting
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »
I'm curious to know what FRUA players would think of a design where the assumed challenge setting should be "Novice" instead of "Veteran" for proper balance, and any setting beyond that only makes the game harder?

In addition, what if the game not only assumed "Novice" as the setting, but also assumed all stats have been boosted to all 18s? 

I ask if only because it seems like it would be easier to balance the game for the correct challenge if everything revolves around the easiest mode and the highest boost to characters.  As I recall, Pool of Radiance did not have an option to change the challenge level, and I'm not sure that FRUA should necessarily have it for all games either.

Just wondered if folks would play a design that assumed such things.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: QUESTION: Challenge Level Setting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
Personally I never bother with difficulty settings in CRPGs, including FRUA, since it doesn't mean smarter enemies, only HP bloated enemies, which I find tedious.
But I would play a Ben Sanderfer producion for FRUA no matter what difficulty scheme you use.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:09:53 AM »
I tend to play FRUA games as much (or more) for the story and graphics as for the combat dynamics, though I might be in the minority.

In principle I would not mind a game that assumes "Novice" as the default setting. A couple of caveats, though. First, the documentation should probably make it very clear that that is the designer's intention. Secondly, if the game was too hard (like, if I couldn't win what seem to be run-of-the-mill battles) I might give up after a while (or, if I am really enjoying the game, fiddle with the diff.tbl to give myself the option to "win"). Thirdly, I don't usually stack my characters' stats so they are straight 18s, so if that is expected then, again, the documentation should make that clear.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't refuse to play such a game as a matter of principle.

But if the intention is simply to make a game where the difficulty level is not adjusted downwards, you could just state in the documentation that it is not intended that players should adjust the difficulty level. Then, if the game is too hard for some players at Veteran level they would have the option of turning it down and keeping on playing (in the knowledge that that does not accord with your intention), instead of giving up.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 06:40:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I am asking because I have something in the works, but an announcement at this point would be premature.

I doubt I will change the expectation of the challenge rating, though, as there were some really good points made here. It is probably better to give the player whatever options lets them enjoy the game most.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:43:01 AM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:12 AM »
I prefer tough combats.  I prefer well-thought-out fights that seem fresh and story-related.  I'm not a big fan of tired, already-done-it-a-million-times, random combats that use default monsters and default art.  I appreciate it when authors show some imagination. 

I don't remember ever messing with the level setting, assuming that the default setting best represents the author's vision.  Thus, all of my reviews are from default setting plays. 

I reckon I'm saying that the question, for me, is moot.  Whatever mods I'll be playing, I expect to play and evaluate on the default setting. 

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »
I wouldn't mind any of that, provided the design (or the accompanying readme file) makes it very obvious that I'm meant to change the challenge rating to Novice, because I usually don't mess with it.

anything