Some time ago I posted a preview of a Dungeon Craft design, Dragons of Duplicity. The exciting new capacities of Dungeon Craft inspired me to start work on this module. But DC opened up so many possibilities that I kept getting distracted, and I had started to feel I would never finish the module. So I started working on a FRUA version of the module. Ironically, the limitations of FRUA have actually helped me make progress by constraining what I can do and preventing me from getting too ambitious. At the same time, I am trying to push myself to utilise lots of FRUA hacks which I had not previously mastered. What can be done with hacking in FRUA is really amazing. Hopefully, if I finish the FRUA version I can then make a DC conversion, but for now I am focussing my attention on FRUA.Dragons of Duplicity
Anyway, I now present the first preview of my first FRUA module, Dragons of Duplicity
. It is still a long way off being completed, but this is by far the most progress I have ever made with a FRUA (or DC) module (and I have been playing with FRUA on and off since about 1994!).
The intention is that I will post a few screenshots now, and further new screenshots from time to time. The purpose of this is both to keep me motivated and, hopefully, to interest others. I am aiming to complete and release the design before FRUA's 25th anniversary.Brief overview
The proposed name of the design is "Dragons of Duplicity". It is a medium-to-large-scale design -- probably around 20 dungeons (though it will seem less to the player) and an overland -- set in the Dragonlance world of Krynn, in the period following the War of the Lance but before the end of the Age of Despair (in about the year 363AC, about 5 years after Dark Queen of Krynn takes place). Characters will start at about second level.Progress to date
- I have done almost all the CKIT and other hacking required. Hacks will include:
- modest modification of character classes and races to reflect the Dragonlance game world;
- lots of new items;
- lots of new wall art, including "tall" walls;
- new backdrop art;
- titles screens;
- new music;
- new font;
- recoloured frame art;
- a few new dungeon combat wallsets; and
- a new set of character icons (some original, some made by others); and
- a few modest modifications to the GUI.
- I have produced much new art including pictures and bigpics, monster combat icons (some original, some made by others).
- I have completed the new overland map. The game takes place in north western Ansalon.
- I have completed most of the dungeon maps, including many of the non-quest-specific events.
- I have completed the opening sequence.
- I have a broad idea of the general storyline of the module. I am still not quite sure yet exactly how I will bring the elements together.