Author Topic: Collaborations  (Read 684 times)

Offline Adam

Collaborations
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:15:52 PM »
Setting up my first (maybe a bit too ambitious) design is getting a bit lumbering, and I'm starting to neglect the thing I'm mostly enjoying in the process: drawing EGA art. So I'm planning to do something inbetween.

What I don't want to do is to start another design on my own. I'm getting the hang of the limitations of FRUA but I still cannot plan with them, I always want to do more, and this leads again to cumbersome hacking. I don't want to throw a mediocre design together just to show off some art as well. RPG art shouldn't be self-serving. I was thinking of two other possibilities:

1: Updating an existing design with new art. There are a lot of modules with inconsistent, hastily dropped in, or even not really fitting default art that could be spiced up a bit with some new ones. Do you think that this would add some value to the modules? Would someone replay a module just because of a facelift? If you think this could be a good idea, could you suggest a real good design desperately needing a graphical overhaul?

2: A real collaboration on a module currently in work. According to my experience designs are usually solitarily made. As the workload is different (art drawn from scratch usually will take longer than to copy it, and a full graphical conversation might be really time consuming), this could lead to a script-wise finished design lingering without release because of unfinished graphics, thus to a bit of frustration for the designer. Would someone take the risk? And would someone take the risk that the art of his/her design is influenced by a stranger?

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Collaborations
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:58 PM »
1: Updating an existing design with new art. There are a lot of modules with inconsistent, hastily dropped in, or even not really fitting default art that could be spiced up a bit with some new ones. Do you think that this would add some value to the modules? Would someone replay a module just because of a facelift? If you think this could be a good idea, could you suggest a real good design desperately needing a graphical overhaul?

I can speak to this.

I reworked Ray Dyer's "Journey to the Rock" conversion some years back. (With his permission, of course). I changed almost all the art used into a more coherent style, which was mostly VGA'd versions of the EGA art, but some new pieces done in the same VGA style. It was a lot of work, fun, but a bit time consuming.

I don't know it if added value to his excellent work, but it seemed well received by those who played through it again. I don't really know how many people played back through it, though.

As for giving a design a facelift, I would recommend checking with active FRUA members before working on a design from an inactive one.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:55:43 PM »
I would play any module with art you created, whether it be an original by you, a collaboration with a new designer, or a facelift of an old classic.

In fact, I think there are many designers who would appreciate having a good artist to share the module-making burden with.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:30:23 AM »
I have several modules I'd willingly donate to get an art upgrade.  And, if you're doing the art, it's definitely an upgrade...
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
Here's a quote from ProphetSword:

"With enough artwork, I'd love to finish this module.  But, I don't have the time or the talent to create that many wallsets."

It refers to the unfinished mod PR1: THE SLUMS OF PHLAN.
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/unfinished/phlan.txt 

Any chance of a collaboration between you two towards completing this one...? 
 :angel5:

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »
 And here I didn't think anyone had ever even noticed that module...

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »
I would prefer something like that: a new module in need of art - so it would be a really ne experience for the players. Had a quick look at the slums (though not really the slums, it seems not to exist in the version at the archives). Do you have a newer version?

"With enough artwork, I'd love to finish this module.  But, I don't have the time or the talent to create that many wallsets."

Does this still hold true?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »
The slums don't exist in that module because it is unfinished.  Only built the first area because of the difficulty of doing the wall art.

Given the artwork, especially if it was EGA style, I would complete this module.

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
Given the artwork, especially if it was EGA style, I would complete this module.

PM sent.

anything