Author Topic: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece  (Read 6099 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
As I posted in the other thread concerning the contest, this design can now be downloaded from my homepage. I followed Steve's advice and did not make scenarios for all 10 possible culprits, but I won't tell who can be excluded... :D

Great news. :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2016, 07:49:01 AM »
Gotta go and play it!  :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2017, 10:15:03 PM »
By the way, I finally played through the scenario properly!  Really amazing what you did!  Some random thoughts:

* I loved how you used the portrait faces as walls (to make it look like one was rotating around the person).
* Wonderful graphics (tables, furnaces, etc.) and modifications - they definitely mesh very well with my own art, often better than my own art!
* The complex scripting is also amazing, I am overwhelmed that there can be so many random suspects from the beginning!  I was also able to get the culprit, I like how the hints work in the game.
* Incidentally, the auto-mapper works perfectly, too - how did you do that?  (I just the other day could not figure out if this option existed in DC.)
* I like the king's name...  :D

One thing that would have been nice perhaps is a way to speed up text (if I read it before).  Maybe DC has a way to do this?  It might be useful to stave off spousal anger at husband when he is playing games on the PC again... (allowing quick escape)

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
a way to speed up text (if I read it before).  Maybe DC has a way to do this?

If there is no way then we must make a way.  A convenient
and standard way.
Forcing a person to sit through long text repeatedly
is a sure way to frustration.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
It is of course very probable that there is a way, but I do not know it yet!  (I hope so!)

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
Going into config.txt and setting Inter_Character_Delay to 0 (making the text scrolling instant) is probably the easiest way to do it.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2017, 06:18:44 AM »
By the way, I finally played through the scenario properly!  Really amazing what you did!  Some random thoughts:

* I loved how you used the portrait faces as walls (to make it look like one was rotating around the person).
* Wonderful graphics (tables, furnaces, etc.) and modifications - they definitely mesh very well with my own art, often better than my own art!
* The complex scripting is also amazing, I am overwhelmed that there can be so many random suspects from the beginning!  I was also able to get the culprit, I like how the hints work in the game.
* Incidentally, the auto-mapper works perfectly, too - how did you do that?  (I just the other day could not figure out if this option existed in DC.)
* I like the king's name...  :D
* The "portrait walls" are a good example for ideas which come with limited artwork (limited in the sense that there were now images showing the complete character). Of course, that approach only works in one-square rooms.
* The good thing is that it is not too complicated to modify my art to fit with yours. I mainly colourized the black outlines of my walls/overlays and reduced the colour depth.
* The scripting is not so complex compared to what others in this forum can do. To achieve the different culprit aspect, I just copied the level several times, modified it each time to fit with the respective culprit, and in the beginning, the party is randomly teleported to one of the levels.
* The auto-mapper can be adjusted via the zones. You can set zones to known, "auto-mappable", and "not mappable" Actually, there is one mistake, I think - a cave in the Southeast is known to the party before entering...  ::)
* Concerning the name, that is a coincidence, as you probably guessed. I think more or less all names are homages to persons occurring in Victorian/Edwardian England and/or in the original stories of Doyle. Steve, who was so kind to playtest, found one example where I confused the original name with the modified, I could imagine there are more...

One thing that would have been nice perhaps is a way to speed up text (if I read it before).  Maybe DC has a way to do this?  It might be useful to stave off spousal anger at husband when he is playing games on the PC again... (allowing quick escape)
Jadefang is right, you can adjust it in the config.txt. I think I already increased the speed compared to the standard setting. Of course, it would be great if the player could set the text speed when playing the game.

Let me mention in this context that we should be thankful our wives let us play with DC at all... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
would be great if the player could set the text speed when playing the game.

An absolute requirement.  The player must be able to skip
over text.  Perhaps a way to skip an entire text event or
even all text events in a chain. 

Any great ideas?  Press a digit '3' and skip this event this time
and the next 2 times?  Press digit '0' and reset all text skips?
A special code in the text event to cause 'slow' text to become
instant text after the first time?  Any good ideas?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »

An absolute requirement.  The player must be able to skip
over text.  Perhaps a way to skip an entire text event or
even all text events in a chain. 

Any great ideas?  Press a digit '3' and skip this event this time
and the next 2 times?  Press digit '0' and reset all text skips?
A special code in the text event to cause 'slow' text to become
instant text after the first time?  Any good ideas?

If the speed in config.txt is set to 0, the player can ust press <ENTER> and they don't need to read the text. They may have to hit it more than once to get through a simulated dialogue.

I think the way to handle this is on the designer's side. If an event is going to happen every time the paty is in a particular place, make it two events, with the first one containing the long speech being set to "Once Only" and the chained event set to happen only if the first one doesn't happen, and it has something really brief.
For example, a shop might work like this...
#1)      "Welcome to Bob's Weapon and Armor Deluxe Emporium> We've've got anything you could ever or need
      for all of your personal and professional needs." The middle-aged, overweight and slightly balding
      shopkeep pulls out a case of small knives from underneath the counter. "Today only we have a sale on all knives and daggers. All of these slightly used blades are on sale for half-price."
      He puts the blades back underneath the counter when you don't bite at his offer.
      "I also buy used weapons and armor. You won't get a better price than mine for miles around."
      "I am also a trained gemologist and buy gems and jewelry."
      He scratches his head as if pondering something.
      "I'm Bob, by the way. Anything you need, I can get for you. Even if I don't carry it, I'll
      find someone who does. Your satisfaction is most important."
      "Can I show you anything?"

#2)      "Welcome back, ^."

And the designer does actually need to make the shop twice - they make it once and copy and paste it in the chain and change dialogue. 8)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2017, 05:39:14 AM »

An absolute requirement.  The player must be able to skip over text. 

Skipping the text is already possible via pressing the space bar (we discussed that some time ago). That means if one text event has a very long text, the player can jump to the last sentences. So I would say the programmers are quite of the hook. Being able to adjust the speed in game by the player would be a nice bonus, though.

Manikus is right that it is the designers responsibility to avoid repeating long texts. In "The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece", I allowed the player to skip a long part of the introduction in case he wants to replay. I could have added additional options in other parts of the games, something like: "Tell us all about it..." vs. "Only the important points, please..." I will keep that in mind for my following designs...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2017, 09:51:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys!  Hmm - strange, I think I did try to press space, but I will try again and see!  (Plus, I want to play with sound next time...)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
(Plus, I want to play with sound next time...)

Ah, I intended to ask you if you liked the music... :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
Hmm - strange, I think I did try to press space, but I will try again and see!  (Plus, I want to play with sound next time...)

The press space option also occurs in case of short texts so that you may press space, but nothing seems to happen.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
The press space option also occurs in case of short texts so that you may press space, but nothing seems to happen.

Shouldn't DC check whether the text event is longer than it can display all at once, and only display the "Space=last" text if it is longer?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2017, 12:23:41 AM »
Okay, it seems to work like this:
If the text is very short, then the "Space-last" text is not displayed, which is good.

If the text is so long that it comprises two "pages", then the "Space-last" text is displayed on the second page only - then, if you press space, nothing happens, which can be confusing.

Uatu is right - the "Space-last" text is not present on the first page of a long text. Space becomes only effective if the text covers more than two pages - then it allows to jump, e.g., from the 2nd page to the last.

I hope I am not mistaken. If it is really working this way, it would be great if "Space-last" is also shown on the first page IF the text is longer than one page.