Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins - modules?  (Read 58 times)

Online Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Dragon Age: Origins - modules?
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:40:36 AM »
So I just played through Dragon Age: Origins for the first time, and I was wondering, did anyone from this community, past or present, ever release a custom campaign for this game? Or did you play a custom campaign / adventure that's worth checking out in order for me to get an idea of how a good DA:O modules looks like?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - modules?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »
Did people make modules for DA:O?  I found the toolset to be less than useful.  I would be amazed if there were anything out there.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Online Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »
I honestly don't know, that's why I'm asking. I certainly remember many builders in the NWN community talking about it like it would become the next big thing and they were planning to move on to it. I also heard that it was less user-friendly though, so maybe it didn't catch on as people hoped it would.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »
I was certainly one of those people.  Early news from Bioware was that DA:O and toolset would be like the next coming of Neverwinter Nights, given that they built it off a much improved version of the Aurora toolset.  Didn't actually work out that way, though. 

Looking at a video of the toolset, I see that the biggest issue was that you had to use the maps that came installed with the game.  It doesn't appear that you could create new areas.  I imagine that would get old fast.  Imagine if Neverwinter Nights had imposed the same limitation...and you could only reuse map from the original campaign.  That would have shut down the whole community really quickly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:46:19 PM by ProphetSword »

Online Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »
Oh, really? Yeah, I can see why I didn't work then. Sword Coast Legends has the same problem, but I thought Dragon Age was more ambitious.  :-\

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 07:17:32 PM »
Sword Coast Legends might have had a chance, given that it had some additional flexibility in the map making.  Its biggest problem is that you cannot do simple things that should exist in any toolset...like create a conversation between the PC and an NPC.  I find that amazing, given that the ability existed in the game itself...

Online Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »
Makes you appreciate even more how the editors of UA and NWN managed to hit that sweet spot that combines ease of use with great flexibility.

anything