Author Topic: A pair of suggestions  (Read 814 times)

Offline Winspector

A pair of suggestions
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »
I guess if this goes here or in another subforum, but I think this is part of the development.

So, whatever, I think it is a good idea that the game and/or editor could offer:

1- Changing sound pitch for player steps. So each step the sound is a bit different and looks more realistic.

2- A bigger texture preview (in editor), since some textures are very similar and thus, hard to distinguish in that tiny mini-window in the bottom left corner. And if you are using a big resolution, that tiny preview is almost useless.

3- Ctrl+S = Save, instead of "Spells" (this, in editor)

4- Drag-n-drop the area map in the editor my, for example, holding middle mouse (usually the wheel)

5- Strafe and backstep. I mean, allow to side step and walk backwards, rather than "turn".

6- Allow to execute events when the player does a mouse click instead of only by stepping in the cell. For example, there is a wall with a skull. When the player enters the cell, nothing happens, but when the player clicks while looking towards the skull, a text event happens: "This skull is good to play football", or whatever.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: A pair of suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
2- A bigger texture preview (in editor), since some textures are very similar and thus, hard to distinguish in that tiny mini-window in the bottom left corner. And if you are using a big resolution, that tiny preview is almost useless.

I believe there's already a way to do this.  Others will have to fill in the blanks on how it's done, though.

5- Strafe and backstep. I mean, allow to side step and walk backwards, rather than "turn".

6- Allow to execute events when the player does a mouse click instead of only by stepping in the cell. For example, there is a wall with a skull. When the player enters the cell, nothing happens, but when the player clicks while looking towards the skull, a text event happens: "This skull is good to play football", or whatever.

Dungeon Craft is modeled after FRUA and the Gold-Box series of CRPGs.  Neither of these things existed in those games.

You can still create events that would allow a player to interact with objects via events.  As they approach the skull, the player could be fed an option like: "Click on the skull?"  They would answer Yes or No.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 01:54:52 AM »
1) You can to some degree assign additional step sounds, but it is a little complicated.
a) Just place a sound event that is always triggered when the party enters a square. (Of course, this is a lot of effort in a game with huge areas.)
b) Use walls: Make a transparent wall. Use "Sound plays as party goes through" with the sound you like. Disable "Include in area view". Note that the sound of that side of the wall is triggered which is on the square the party enters (in the beginning, this confused me a little bit). A disadvantage of this method is that even if "Include in area view" is not activated, such a "sound wall" will look different from the "blank wall" (wall slot 1) in the area view.

3) This confused me also very often...

5) I think "Strafe"/sidesteps work to some degree (either using the respective arrows in the 3d screen our by pressing 1/3 on the number pad). Also Backstep works via the arrows in the 3d screen, but I think there is no backstep key. (I would also like to have one... :) )
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Winspector

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »
You can still create events that would allow a player to interact with objects via events.  As they approach the skull, the player could be fed an option like: "Click on the skull?"  They would answer Yes or No.

If you do that, you could already be revealing part of a puzzle. Lets say there is a secret door where the wall texture is slightly different. I don't want to feedback the player with "This wall seems different. Do you want to press the hidden button below that stone?"
Of course, this is a very basic example, but gives you the idea of what I mean.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
One approach to come near to what you want is the "if party is searching" trigger. Then, the "click on the skull" message would only appear if the player presses "look" or has the "searching" mode activated. Depending on your settings, the party will lose a certain amount of time when doing so.

If you want it even more complicated, you could do a question list.
Party enters square not searching - nothing happens.
Party enters square searching or looks: A question list event with a small picture showing only the wall with your skull (and perhaps other elements) appears, and the player is asked which part of the wall he wants to examine.

Note also (if you haven't yet) that there is a "facing direction" trigger which can be chained with the searching trigger.

Of course, this is still different from clicking on elements on the wall, but for that, you would probably rather want an "Eye of the Beholder" editor or something in that direction.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Winspector

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 03:23:01 PM »
One approach to come near to what you want is the "if party is searching" trigger. Then, the "click on the skull" message would only appear if the player presses "look" or has the "searching" mode activated. Depending on your settings, the party will lose a certain amount of time when doing so.

If you want it even more complicated, you could do a question list.
Party enters square not searching - nothing happens.
Party enters square searching or looks: A question list event with a small picture showing only the wall with your skull (and perhaps other elements) appears, and the player is asked which part of the wall he wants to examine.

Note also (if you haven't yet) that there is a "facing direction" trigger which can be chained with the searching trigger.

Of course, this is still different from clicking on elements on the wall, but for that, you would probably rather want an "Eye of the Beholder" editor or something in that direction.

I will try your solution. It looks pretty viable. Thanks.