Author Topic: RELEASED: Hearkenwold  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Dorateen

Re: RELEASED: Hearkenwold
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »
Platinum Bearer is right, the Druid in the forest trains Rangers. If you picked up the quest about lucky charms, that will trigger first before getting the "Always Happens" choice to train.

Octavianus, for the Slaughtered Lamb (hope you got the reference!) there is a special item you need in order to get the information that would satisfy the quest. I don't want to outright spoil it. Figure there is someone in the tavern who would know some stuff, and what might interest him. That's pretty vague, but if you want more details just let me know.

Also, based on your comments last night, I am adding a little more to the Thespar quest line. I had planned to develop it further in the next chapter, but I see now it is cruel to tease a little cloak and dagger intrigue and not follow through.

Hans, I had not thought about an in-game reason for beefing up the MR. It was simply a selfish DM decision because I hated seeing "tougher" enemies succumb to a 1st level sleep spell and be killed in a helpless sate. Now make it so there's only a percentage chance it might work, and it's a different story!

Thanks for all the feedback, very useful and gratifying.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Platinum Bearer

• Supreme Overlord Of Everything Cool
  • Play Call Of Destiny! Tis Awesome! :)
    • Hyper Speed Martial Arts - My youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
I've got a strange mix of character levels. A L4 cleric is my highest and an L1 mage my weakest because she keeps getting knocked down.
For me it's the mage that has most XP, since wisely staying out of melee combat, and my cleric constantly being knocked down.
I'd normally keep the mage at the back throwing darts but I haven't found any so I put her where she can only get attacked by one enemy rather than wasting her turns. That's why I really wanted that staff.
Part one of Call Of Destiny:
https://www.mediafire.com/?fs3cfu7niuuqdwt

Wanna learn martial arts?
Check out my brand new channel with new and improved videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA
Tutorials coming very soon.

Remember, true power comes from within.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
Just for future reference, there are darts that can be found early on, and then there is a shop event that sells darts. Also a couple of slings are placed to be found.

I'm going to add that quarterstaff!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:51:56 PM by Dorateen »
Hearkenwold

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »
Just for future reference, there are darts that can be found early on, and then there is a shop even that sells darts. Also a couple of slings are placed to be found.
Okay I've somehow managed to miss all four of them then. Once I find somewhere I'll carry on with that part until I've got as far as I can before going somewhere else so there's probably a lot of places I haven't been to yet.

I'm going to add that quarterstaff!
Good. So am I then. :)

Check out my brand new channel with new and improved videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
Fighting the party of swarming Bugbears I remember why I quit playing FRUA a year ago; the dice are so heavily loaded it's no fun.
Despite having a DEX of 10, most of them act before my 15-17 DEX guys, their 17 THAC0 hits my AC 0-3, while my THAC0 18 constantly misses AC 3.  And with 25% Magic Resistance all 3 of the targets of my Stinking Cloud were unaffected, while their Hold Person spells work most of the time.

Some final thoughts:
Overall the module was too "too much talk, not enough action" as a wise Ranger once said. But then I'm a "combatfag" and play the Gold Box games mainly for the tactical combat. So consider this subjective critisism.

The Instruments quests seemed a bit contrived when the original owner suddenly appeared on the forest road when discussing with Madrigal and her snotty little sidekick.

I like the resting restrictions, but since it takes only minutes of in-game time to return to the castle for "a fix" at the altar there, it meant I rarely had to use spells.

Overall, a good module, but it needs more focus and more polishing (like having various dialogue choices being meaningful) to become great.

For a first FRUA module it's certainly impressive considering its size.

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »
Going by your comments in the last post PetrusOctavianus (can I call you PO? ;D) you might enjoy Call Of Destiny. Hint, hint.

Dorateen, I like how open it is but I think so many missions running at once can get a bit much. I know it must be hard to make it that open and yet structured at the same time. I think the two biggest issues for me are the ground textures changing in front of thing (it really doesn't look nice whenever that happens) and the fact that you have to talk to people multiple times to get all the info.

Maybe you could change the quest event to items and rename them so that when the player looks at the inv they get a list of active missions? That could work really well I think.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 08:07:37 PM »
Overall, a good module, but it needs more focus and more polishing (like having various dialogue choices being meaningful) to become great.

Octavianus, I have a bit of a polishing update coming in a few days. If you would keep your last save file, one thing I added was to the thing with the torch. I know how much you hated Thespar, so it might bring a bit of closure for that story arc, or at least shed some light on the situation.

I think "unfocused" is a good way to characterize this module. The more I listen to the experience of other players, it kind of is like a cross between a puzzle and a scavenger hunt.

When I did a full test run, that bugbear fight was one of the last encounters I faced. The party was a mix of 4th and 5th level, and had the best equipment going into combat. I am certainly on the side of more combat-orientated players, I've always said combat is the best theatre for role-playing. So I was wondering, did you come across the Caves of Venture dungeon? That should have been the highest concentration of combat and treasure finding.

I'm glad you played through, as your comments are invaluable going forward. Thanks for the review!
Hearkenwold

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »
Doreateen, I found the Caves of Venture, but didn't venture forth due to not having found a trainer for my ranger.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:30:17 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »
If you pick up again, or want to try with another party, remember the druid in the north forest trains Rangers. Just have to talk to him a couple of times.

One of the things I envisioned for this module was the idea that a player could load it up and forget about all the castle story-related stuff, and go to a location like the Caves to run through combat encounters.
Hearkenwold

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 06:53:54 PM »
Did find a few darts before that I forgot about. I gave them to the wrong character.

Went to the tavern and sold the equipment I didn't need but that only gave me 7 platinum so sold the potion of healing I picked up early so I could but a crossbow, bolts and a few more darts.

Met some friendlyish monsters in a cave who gave me a mission that lead to another mission and just killed a wyvern but I'm going to have to redo that fight because it poisoned one of my elves and they can't be brought back.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »
Met some friendlyish monsters in a cave who gave me a mission that lead to another mission and just killed a wyvern but I'm going to have to redo that fight because it poisoned one of my elves and they can't be brought back.

He isn't "dead dead", just "poison dead". Neutralize Poison will bring him back.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
Right, and if your cleric doesn't have neutralize poison yet, I think the temple at the castle will fix up your elf, too. But better have a back up save just in case.

Since you talked peacefully with the first group of monsters in that cave, make sure you search their room thoroughly.

There are a few opportunities to get a larger amount of platinum, so keep an eye out. Enough to keep your ammunition stocked, and maybe buy some special potions once you save up enough.
Hearkenwold

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 07:55:26 AM »
Oh okay. It should say Status: Poisoned then. I didn't save it after the fight but I saved it just before and did it again.

Got the item in the cave and some other items from another cave. Some of the fights were too hard so I'll go back a bit later.

Got my revenge on the four from the start. :) That felt good. Didn't need to wait so long though, overestimated them.

Going to get my revenge on the other four next and explore Khyn, I didn't spend much time there before.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
That sounds like a good plan of action, Platinum Bearer. Also, the four from the start is one of the few times I let the items the enemy is carrying actually drop. Make sure to inspect their equipment, there might be some stuff worth identifying.

A general helpful hint for working through NPC interactions. After you have a text event when stepping on a square, hit the Look button and it will trigger the next event, whether it is a continuation or just the standard follow-up greeting. I'm sure that is obvious to veteran players of the game, but it does save the need to take a step back and then walk on the spot again. Again, this is helpful if you have satisfied certain conditions  of a conversation, but it does not come up until subsequent visits to the NPC.
Hearkenwold

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »
That sounds like a good plan of action, Platinum Bearer. Also, the four from the start is one of the few times I let the items the enemy is carrying actually drop. Make sure to inspect their equipment, there might be some stuff worth identifying.
Yea I almost missed that. I sold a load of stuff and had over 200 platinum so figured I'd accidentally sold something magical, so I started again from my last save point and realised what it was.

A general helpful hint for working through NPC interactions. After you have a text event when stepping on a square, hit the Look button and it will trigger the next event, whether it is a continuation or just the standard follow-up greeting. I'm sure that is obvious to veteran players of the game, but it does save the need to take a step back and then walk on the spot again. Again, this is helpful if you have satisfied certain conditions  of a conversation, but it does not come up until subsequent visits to the NPC.
Ah, that's handy. I always thought look meant search on the square that you're on. I think it did in CotAB but it doesn't in UA.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:33:33 PM by Platinum Bearer »

anything