Author Topic: Direct speech and highlighted text  (Read 1077 times)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Direct speech and highlighted text
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:19:56 PM »
A couple of questions about direct speech and highlighted text in FRUA. For players as much as designers...

1. Do people prefer double or single quotes in FRUA for direct text?
2. Do people prefer to see the quote marks highlighted, as well as the speech text, or only the speech text itself highlighted?

Or does no-one actually care about these things at all?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Direct speech and highlighted text
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »
My personal preference is to have spoken text highlighted with double quotation marks (also highlighted).  That's how I do all my modules.

However, I certainly wouldn't turn down playing a module if it didn't follow this convention.  You might consider running a poll in the poll section about this.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »
Because character space is limited in a text box, I don't generally use quotation marks. When I have a descriptive text, such as a narration, in the same event where an NPC speaks directly, I highlight the NPC speech text and leave the narration text default grey.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:17:23 PM »
I feel quotation marks are better, double if possible, and highlighted. However, Dorateen's assessment of limited text space and highlighted text is a solid workaround should you run up on those limits.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »
My personal preference is to have spoken text highlighted with double quotation marks (also highlighted).  That's how I do all my modules.

However, I certainly wouldn't turn down playing a module if it didn't follow this convention.  You might consider running a poll in the poll section about this.

I agree.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 08:40:45 PM »
I didn't use highlighted text, only quotation marks.

The reason was consistency: Since there was a lot of speech by characters during events that won't allow hightlighted text, the module would seem rather uneven otherwise.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 10:43:05 PM »
As I recall, there is no Highlight option for such things as Temple events and Tavern Tales, etc., so sometimes leaving a quote unhighlighted is unavoidable. 

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 12:37:50 AM »
Thanks for the answers guys. Looks like double quotes with highlighting is popular. Yes, the unhighlightable direct speech in some events is a bit of an annoyance. I was considering changing some of those text strings to avoid direct speech.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
Thanks for the answers guys. Looks like double quotes with highlighting is popular. Yes, the unhighlightable direct speech in some events is a bit of an annoyance. I was considering changing some of those text strings to avoid direct speech.

That's usually what I do. If I need speech there, I just use a Text Statement beforehand.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »
One that occurs to me as tricky is tavern tales. But they can be written in indirect speech.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:35:38 AM »
Personally I'm in favor of Dorateen's method, and I think that's how I always did it in my own designs (highlighted text marks speech, so no quotation marks needed). But I can also relate to Ben J's reasoning, and if your design features a lot of dialogue and you're nearing the limit for events per dungeon already, highlighting can become very impractical and uneconomical, as it forces you to waste space and use more text events than text without highlights.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 03:04:32 AM »
I just use double quotes and add the name of the speaker in front. Actually, I thought that in English, you have to use single quotes for direct speech (contrary to German, where double quotes are used), so I am happy that both quote types seem to be an option.

In DC, I also work with text colours, but that is probably not possible in FRUA... For example, if a character wears a lot of blue clothes, it would look like:

Bartender: "I heard rumors about..."
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a byte that can be changed in ckit.exe, or a change to script.glb, etc, to make all tavern tale text (but not other event text) appear highlighted?

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 01:24:28 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a byte that can be changed in ckit.exe, or a change to script.glb, etc, to make all tavern tale text (but not other event text) appear highlighted?

I don't have the answer to your question Steve but I do have a suggestion: what I have always personally done is to make the tavern tales text a brief summary of what was heard:

You overhear a tale about a dwarf who went into the mountains to the west to recover a magical hammer but never returned.

The table next to yours features a rowdy group of drinkers who, after a time, begin to brag about having gained much loot in the sewers below the city and have it stowed in their room at the Cracked Roc Inn.

An elf at the next table over, drunk on elmwine, badly whispers to another that he found a secret door behind the Salvaged Shield shoppe, leading to a den of rogues.

...et al.  Anyhow, not what you asked for but that's how I do it without using quoted/speech.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 01:27:08 AM »
A couple of questions about direct speech and highlighted text in FRUA. For players as much as designers...

1. Do people prefer double or single quotes in FRUA for direct text?
2. Do people prefer to see the quote marks highlighted, as well as the speech text, or only the speech text itself highlighted?

Or does no-one actually care about these things at all?

I think it comes down to personal preference.

Speaking for myself, it has just been easier to include direct punctuation within and around the speech to be included in highlight only.... in this way, I am completing a highlit portion of the text event usually in just one of the text panels instead of having additional for the punctuation, etc:

(highlit:) "Make way for the king, peasants!" (end highlit), a man on a regal-looking horse commands.

This makes it easy to use a single panel for an entire sentence, quotes included.

anything