Author Topic: RPG Maker  (Read 3523 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: RPG Maker
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 07:15:45 PM »
Okay, codes are sent.  If you do anything with it, post a screenshot in this thread.  I may do the same at some point, since I dabble with it on occasion.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »
Ok Thank You :), I will try it as soon as I can. I will need some time to get into it probably.

Offline wariodude128

• Dreamer of creating a gigantic module.
  • I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »
MV is now the most recent RPG Maker out there. There apparently isn't too much in terms of what it has as a base, but it seems the numerous plugins, community made things and weekly free updates make up for it. Not to mention that it uses Javascript, which is apparently much easier to work with than the previous Ruby engine, and you can make it run on just about anything with any kind of resolution. There's also some extras and a season pass you can get too. If you get the whole thing, it's a little pricey. Though not as much as if you tried to get VX Ace with all the extras. Seriously, I checked. In case you haven't guessed, it is at the top of my Steam wishlist.
Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you do smart things.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »
I want MV myself, and I hope to catch it on sale at some point.  It allows you to make RPG Maker games for other platforms, like Android, which I think would help any games made with it reach a larger audience.

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
Looks like we're both waiting for it to go on sale. I have enough to get everything, but I'd like it to go on sale so I can get other things too.

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
For point of reference. RPG Maker MV Bundle: 143.99.
                                    RPG Maker VX Ace DLC, altogether: 1,425.11. VX Ace itself is 77.59.

I now wonder if MV will have as ridiculously large a DLC set as VX Ace after it's been out for awhile. It only came out last year, so there is a chance it could happen.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »
I got VX Ace when it was on sale for $17.49 about two years ago.  Then, I got a second copy in a Humble Bundle for $1.00 (along with RPG Maker XP and a bunch of assets).  So, if you wait it out, you can eventually get a good price.  Especially if you go looking for it on places other than Steam.

According to the website Cheap Shark, the lowest that RPG Maker MV has been on sale for was $29.99, back in October when it released.  I wish I would have jumped on it then.

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »
29.99??? Man, I would kill (not really) for it to be that cheap. Even if the rest of the extras were still priced the same, that would save me fifty dollars at least. Guess I'll need to check those humble bundle type places more often. I'll also need to look up Cheap Shark. Never even heard of that one.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »
Cheap Shark is a great site.  It will show you which games are on sale on which sites.  You can type in the name of a game on the search bar, and it will tell you what price the game is going for on all the different available sites, and even tell you the lowest price the game has ever been (which is how I know RPG Maker MV was once $29.99).

You can also sign up for price notification if you search for a specific game, so it can alert you by email if that game goes on sale.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:43:11 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »
Good news everyone! RPG Maker MV is now on sale. 30% off. That's all I needed to get the entire bundle set. The fact some of the other stuff in the bundle is on sale helped a bit as well. Get the game itself now for a little over sixty dollars and the whole package for a bit over a hundred. I went for the latter deal. Now I can get started on trying to make a gigantic RPG game world. If I get anywhere with it, I'll let you know. I might even be charging money for it. Depends on how busy I am with other things and how happy I am with what I've made. See what happens.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »
Let me know if you need a playtester.

Offline HtPolsa

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 12:31:47 PM »
 RPGMaker discussion! Relevant to my interests.

So I switched from ACE to MV pretty much right away as a lot of the stuff seemed interesting to me, like the easier scripting and some graphical things I thought were nicer. I couldn't make any sense of ACE's scripting, and to be honest I don't expect to make much sense of MV's either, but I figured if it's easier, people who are into scripting have easier time of making fancy plugins or scripts I could nab.

Converted one of my work-in-progress into MV, manually, I might add, the automated conversion scripts didn't work for me, so it was a bit of a project in itself. It's sort of playable, which is more than I can say for anything I've done with CRPG creation kits since Neverwinter Nights, though lacks the final bits of the main story and lot of the side content.

A very big hurdle for me has been graphics, I have hard time deciding what kind of art-style I would want, if I should try creating it myself, or trying to find and hire some artist from the depths of the internet. The latter option doesn't jive that well with me since I don't plan to make money out of any of this, but at least the art would be done by someone who (probably) knows their stuff. And when I mean art-style, I mean mostly the character art, tilesets and such I can do fairly easily. Reminds me a lot of making wallsets and combat wilderness art for the ol' UA.

Sound and music is also easy for me, luckily. If it's not considered too shameless, I'll mention off-handedly my Youtube channel, HKissa0203, there's some muzak I've made for the said game(s).

Combat balance has been and still is a big issue for me to figure out. In UA days, my careful method of creating combat balance was to throw enemies into the encounters and hope it sorts out as I playtest and tune it. Due to the difference in combat system, this true and tested method doesn't work as well, so I have to actually look at numbers and stuff to make sure all the characters feel viable and none is overly underwhelming. Generally my approach is less but more meaningful combat, ie. there's no random encounters, and every set combat should stand out. But it's still difficult to finetune it.

What I like about RPGMaker really is its simplicity, basically. I think a lot of my failed attempts to get anything done in the past years have been because I forget or lose touch how things work, as I tend to take very long breaks from creative process. RPGMaker has that ease-of-use that it's very easy to return to where I left off a month ago and not have to spend hours to remind myself what I was doing and how I was doing it. I think UA is very similar.

So this was my 'hey! remember me? anyone?' post of the year (well maybe there will be more, it's still early). Now speaking of playtesting, if someone wants to be a playtester for the above mentioned game, that can be arranged. Though I may be known for very self-serious designs with lots of character and drama stuff, I've mellowed a lot since those days. There's still a lot of characters and maybe some drama, but it's way less serious.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:33:52 PM by HtPolsa »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
Hey, Harri! We remember you!

Offline hans

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
...So this was my 'hey! remember me? anyone?' post of the year (well maybe there will be more, it's still early)...

I do hope there will be more, Harri, old friend!  ;)

As I remember you not only wrote darkly dramatic mods, but also some gut-bustingly funny ones, too.  Any chance you might do another UA mod, someday?  Do you still play, even if its just one of your own old mods, once in awhile?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 08:23:42 PM »
Hey, Harri!  Of course we remember you.

I'd be happy to playtest for you, if you're interested.  I'll drop my email address in a personal message.