Author Topic: PREVIEW: Helmetlands Origins: Rise of the Insectoids  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: PREVIEW: Helmetlands Origins: Rise of the Insectoids
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
Okay, below are some "walls in progress"...

The truck shall cover 3 squares, one square will be the cockpit section. I drew a sketch (attached below) to show how it is meant to work...

The main story will take place inside a research camp, build of containers which fit with the one on the track, so I can reuse the interior walls of the containers quite often... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 04:10:10 PM »
These all look great. I am looking forward to seeing how you handle the Near By and Far Away walls.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 05:12:34 PM »
Hmm... I guess I will not enable the player to see the far away walls... :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
I will be setting mine up so that the straight-on Far Away wall is used, but not hte side ones. I may do the same with the Near By walls, but I think that I might need them. I have decided that my alleys (where the vehicles will appear) is 2 squares wide. (Iwould go 3 squares wide, but then rooftop settings will look like islands.)

I am looking forward to seeing how this is progressing.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
Steve, screenshots are always welcome. :D

I'm away overseas for the next few weeks and couldn't find the necessary stuff on my computer. Hopefully I will still have them on my computer at home... but it will need to wait a while.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »

I'm away overseas for the next few weeks and couldn't find the necessary stuff on my computer. Hopefully I will still have them on my computer at home... but it will need to wait a while.

That seems like a pretty good reason not post them now. :D I hope your time abroad is not all work. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »

No problem, I guess we will still be very interested in a few weeks! :)
By the way, I will reduce the train part in my design (just use a big pic and a few small pics). The truck is a different thing, while it is low priority, it might be useful for later designs, so I will try to complete it. The thing is that if I want to keep the contest deadline, I will have to be quite effective since I will also be abroad for some days and have particularly much to do at work during the coming weeks.

Offline hans

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
...By the way, I will reduce the train part in my design (just use a big pic and a few small pics)...

Aw, I was looking forward to seeing how you would handle that. 

I don't usually read the DungeonCraft boards, but I did start watching this one regularly for that reason.

Trains are often major locations for mystery, spy, and western genres.  Once I saw that you were thinking about how to implement such a location for DC, I started thinking of how I might do so for UA.  For wallsets, I first figured a clear aisle Backdrop with dark rug or floor, a wallset of seats running parallel next to the aisle, and a wallset of the train interior wall beyond that.  But then I started thinking that the train interior wall could just be added to the art of the seats wallset. 

For a Combat Dungeon, a plain dark floor with walls that could pass for both the interior and exterior of a train.  The trick would be to arrange the walls so that UA would construct the Dungeon elements with only a single straight row in view with a set of train walls on each side running the length of the Dungeon.  The rest of the Dungeon would be only the plain dark color, hopefully providing the illusion of empty space, either of the unseen outside or black of night.   

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Hmm... You have kind of convinced me giving it a try. I have just finished the "mesh-wire-fence" wall (see below) I needed and the truck has also made some progress, so I could at least do a train for the 3D-view, which is probably easier with DC, since the walls can overlap.

I plan to do two other short "Helmetland Origins" design. One of these named "You are out" was planned as "Die Hard" parody. But now I wonder if it could rather become a "Silver Streak" hommage... :D So it would make sense to put some effort into a train, even if it would not be necessary for "Rise of the Insectoids".

Concerning combat walls... that is really a challenge.

EDIT: I just drew the train from the outside for a big picture - I will probably do a magnetic levitation train in white colours inside and outside... that might make it easier to do the combat walls.
Or perhaps... let all combats take place in darkness... :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:53:32 PM by Dinonykos »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Nice looking fence and gate there. :D

I think that with hans and Dinonykos discussing how things might ought to look, we are in for some great things. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 07:36:44 AM »
I have made some progress with the art - there will be a short intro comic, too.
I guess once I have all the necessary drawings, I can do this design quite quickly since it will be very linear with only 4 possible endings (excl. defeat endings). I might need some time to get used to DC 2.x, though...

Concerning the train: For this design, I will only need 6 walls representing the interior of one compartment and the corridor... There will be no combat inside the train.

But last not least thanks to Hans, I guess I will do the train adventure "You are out" next year which, if I can really find convincing graphical solutions, should take place almost exclusively on a train and feature the marten character Joyce, whom some may know from Friedrich's Quest and Friedrich's Revenge. I guess it might even be possible to show some details of the train interior (e.g. seats) in the combat screen with Hans' approach...

However - if the adventure takes place on a train, there should also be the possibility to walk on top of the train - that is a must, is it not!? I think I could quite easily realize this in the 3-D-View window. FRUA may on the one hand be at disadvantage here, since floor walls are not really possible (to my knowledge), but on the other hand, you might be able to give the illusion of train motion via colour cycling, which is not possible in DC. Do give the illusion that the train is moving in DC, certain blur effects used with the backgrounds might help.

But concerning combat: Of course, there is always the possibility of other "combat modes", as I have experimented with in most of my DC designs, but I have the impression that particularly the FRUA veterans love the regular combat. I fear, though, that it might be impossible to give the illusion that a combat is taking place on the top of a train... The problem is similar to Manikus' challenge with the rooftops combats.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 01:38:47 PM »
If you can come up with a workable solution for the standard combat, I will totally steal it for use in my design. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 04:33:39 PM »
Well, I guess there is none... depends on what you mean with workable. I understand the way the combat wall graphic files are read is hard-coded, so we cannot do a kind of extended combat wall format.

Well, I leave that challenge for later and right now focus on making a nice-looking train interior for the 3-D view.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
That is the wise way to go. :) I don't think there is a good answer with DC as it now stands.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Some more "truck-in-progress" impressions...

anything