Author Topic: RELEASED: Call Of Destiny *Spoilers Alert*  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Platinum Bearer

• Supreme Overlord Of Everything Cool
  • Play Call Of Destiny! Tis Awesome! :)
    • Hyper Speed Martial Arts - My youtube channel
Re: RELEASED: Call Of Destiny *Spoilers Alert*
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
Yup, that's it. Are you going to do the other path? It's very different and you should enjoy seeing from the other side. It's also more amusing and you get to see quite a few things that you don't in the other path, even after the main story part has finished because that path changes a few things around the town.
Part one of Call Of Destiny:
https://www.mediafire.com/?fs3cfu7niuuqdwt

Wanna learn martial arts?
Check out my brand new channel with new and improved videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA
Tutorials coming very soon.

Remember, true power comes from within.

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »
Also you'll get to see a part of the town you can't get to otherwise.

Oh, and if you do want to do the other path, you'll get your arses completely kicked in the third and final fight of the gauntlet in you don't do something specific at the beginning. You'll probably realise what you should do but I'm telling you so there's less chance you'll have to redo the main fight for at least the fourth time in total.

Check out my brand new channel with new and improved videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
Are you going to do the other path? It's very different and you should enjoy seeing from the other side. It's also more amusing and you get to see quite a few things that you don't in the other path, even after the main story part has finished because that path changes a few things around the town.

That is something neat, and I can appreciate the extra work that goes into such reactivity. However, I'm an old time D&D player. I just can't bring our party of heroes to side with the Zhentirim, ever!

I did post a review. Thanks for making the module, and look forward to the next part.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »
:) Fair enough. I appreciate you playing it at all. Thank you very much for the review, I'll read that after I've written this.

I haven't even start the next chapter yet but I've got a fair few ideas for it and a pretty tight idea what the overall story of next two chapters is going to be, on both paths. I had this idea earlier today. 'A pack of dogs decent from the mountains, growling and snarling. How do you respond?'

Woof/Grrr/Awooo/Good doggies/Bad, that's a bad doggy!

The five outcomes: Fight/Fight with dogs getting the initiative/Fight with party getting the initiative/Dogs run away/Dogs follow the party and join them for the next fight.

There's five main things I wanted for this module.
1. Interesting and humourous dialogue.
2. Interesting and likable NPCs.
3. A sense of the PCs being swept up in events that are beyond their control, partially aided by the NPCs being more powerful than the PCs.
4. Combats that are memorable and make complete sense within the context of the story.
5. A sense of actions having game altering consequences. Didn't really go into this one as much as I'd intended to, apart from the obvious one.

I think I did alright with the first four. Four out of five isn't bad.

How's the next part of Hearkenwold coming along?

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
I had this idea earlier today. 'A pack of dogs decent from the mountains, growling and snarling. How do you respond?'

Woof/Grrr/Awooo/Good doggies/Bad, that's a bad doggy!

The five outcomes: Fight/Fight with dogs getting the initiative/Fight with party getting the initiative/Dogs run away/Dogs follow the party and join them for the next fight.

How's the next part of Hearkenwold coming along?

Yes, I liked the use of the Parlay system in the Haptooth Caves. So having different responses lead to different combat conditions, avoiding combat, or even having the dogs ally with the party is great.

The module definitely had its share of light-hearted, amusing moments.

I'm working on the next part of Hearkenwold now, but it will probably be a while.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2015, 02:12:30 AM »
I've played a bit of this module and here's my impressions so far:

Fun to be back in the Dalelands.

Not so fun to fight armies of lowlife and not being able to "sweep" them, or in the case of the goblin camp, not even cast spells, since you don't get a chance to rest. Maybe I should have been more cynical in the battle at the village and preserved the spells, and let the villagers deal do all the work instead?
The reason why these large battles were so fun in Pool or Radiance was that it was so rewarding having your characters, and especially the more powerful NPC allies, sweep the little runts.

Good use of reinforcements, which is always fun.

At least three typos/spelling errors in the long speech in what was once the barn in Hap.

I don't have a chance against the goblins (it's amazing how so many of them act before even a 19 Dex character, and how often they hit). Am I supposed to have maxed characters, or to have explored some other place first?

EDIT: There seems to be a bug whereby monsters have an effective DEX of 18 instead of the the 10 that most of the low level ones have, which means the Goblin Warriors, in addition to high Initiative, have an AC of 6 instead of 9 (resulting in lots of annoying <swish>ing), so I increased their base AC to 12, made them Sweep-able, and (since I suspect they also have an effective STR of 18) increased their THAC0 by 1, and now I was able to defeat the little bastards.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:36:35 AM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »
Purple Worms against lvl 1 characters? Really???

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2015, 03:04:49 PM »
Originally Celestrion was able to sweep them but I raised the goblins to L1 fighters and kobolds to L1 thieves, hence the slight change of their names. As standard they don't have a level and it means they can't use their equipment so that's a bug in the standard game. After I did that Celestrion could no longer sweep them and I didn't want him to be too far ahead of the party because it would mean he basically carries them through.

You can use spells against the goblins in the first fight, you can rest before you go anywhere. They're easily beatable with sleep. You will get a bit of a beating but I never lost to them when playtesting.

I'll check for those typos, I thought I'd caught them all.

I did change some of the dexterities because I noticed that the monsters had higher than 10 ACs as standard, so I put their ACs up to 10 and increased their dexterities to keep their ACs the same so that they'd can high initiatives that I think suits little monsters. I might have done it wrong if their ACs are a lot better than they were. They should be one better because they can use their shields now.

There are fights that are practically unwinnable to start with. You don't have to fight any of the purple worms or other seriously hard fights and you can go back a bit later when you have something that will help you to beat them.

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
I just checked the goblins and they have AC7 and dexterity of 10. I gave them dexterity 17 (+3) and put their base to AC to 10 like the PCs so they should be right, one less AC for the shields they can now use.

I wanted the humanoid monsters to work like the PCs. Most of the monsters have stats of 10 on everything so I assumed their stats hadn't been done properly anyway but maybe they're supposed to be like that.

I might up Celestrion's level so he can sweep again and put the the monsters back to standard apart from making them level 1. It will make it a bit easier to start with but I suppose it might be better if it starts off easy.

Cute kitty.

Edit:
You can go back and do the optional cave fights when you're in a better position to win (although one of them is still intentionally bloody hard) but not after you've left the cave. When you leave you can't go back.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:10:19 PM by Platinum Bearer »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
I just checked the goblins and they have AC7 and dexterity of 10. I gave them dexterity 17 (+3) and put their base to AC to 10 like the PCs so they should be right, one less AC for the shields they can now use.

Ah, that explains their in-game AC of 6. But when looking in the Editor it says their Dex is 10.
I guess this explains why some monsters seem to have much higher Dex than what it says in the editor.

I wanted the humanoid monsters to work like the PCs. Most of the monsters have stats of 10 on everything so I assumed their stats hadn't been done properly anyway but maybe they're supposed to be like that.

We have also discused it here: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=491.0

I might up Celestrion's level so he can sweep again and put the the monsters back to standard apart from making them level 1. It will make it a bit easier to start with but I suppose it might be better if it starts off easy.

Well, the problem as I see it is that there's so bloody many of the little buggers. It's just more fun if you can Sweep them, and make things more manageable. The fight against the Goblin camp is almost impossible for normal characters with no Sleep spells.

You can go back and do the optional cave fights when you're in a better position to win (although one of them is still intentionally bloody hard) but not after you've left the cave. When you leave you can't go back.

The problem is that there's no in-game warning about the Purple Worms. And since you start in melee, you can't run away either, without permanently losing three party members.
Personally I think it's not good design if you have to meta game or save scum to progress.
If the party was level three at least they might have had a chance to incapacitate the Worm with a Stinking Cloud, or even have enough HP to survive an opportunity attack.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:21:14 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
You need the bug fix file to get the list of stats that actually work. I can't remember what it's called. It shouldn't be hard to find. I think it's script.glb.

I'll check how much better Celestrion needs to be to sweep L1 enemies. It's at least two levels higher though which is annoying.

You can use sleep on the goblins as long as you have a mage, even a part mage because you get sleep automatically and you can rest before moving south. You're bound to have a cleric as well so you can curse and bless.

I don't think it's good design when the all the monsters are conveniently very weak to start with and gradually get more powerful, its too linear. Of course it has to be that way to some extent but I don't think it should be too obvious. You don't have to leave them alive for long, you can kill them before you leave the cave.

I think you're right about giving the player a warning though. I'm going to add dialogue from Celestrion when they're one square away telling them to be careful because the ground has been disturbed by something big. He's a ranger so he's been about a bit and would know a thing or two about monsters.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »

I don't think it's good design when the all the monsters are conveniently very weak to start with and gradually get more powerful, its too linear.

I agree with that, but not the way it was implemented.

I think you're right about giving the player a warning though. I'm going to add dialogue from Celestrion when they're one square away telling them to be careful because the ground has been disturbed by something big. He's a ranger so he's been about a bit and would know a thing or two about monsters.

Sounds good.
BTW, how much XP can a character expect to gain in this module?
And will there be a sequel?

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »
I don't think it's good design when the all the monsters are conveniently very weak to start with and gradually get more powerful, its too linear.
I agree with that, but not the way it was implemented.

Sounds good.
I'll actually make it more detailed than that. "The ground ahead has been recently disturbed. I recognise that pattern in the dirt, it's a purple worm. We shouldn't get any closer, it will sense the vibrations and we're in no position to fight one of those."

BTW, how much XP can a character expect to gain in this module?
You should be able to train pure classes to level five after the module story ends if you do everything, level four if you don't.

And will there be a sequel?
Yes they'll be more than one sequel. :) I've got a rough idea of where the story is going on both paths (they'll be another path split that both paths lead to so it will create a kind of crossroads) and I've just set up a new recurring monster type with five different variations and they'll be background story explaining why this new type of monster is in the Dalelands. I haven't actually started the module yet. I'll wait till I'm done with other stuff so I can just hammer into it like last time. I want to get the updated version of part one done but I doubt I'll be able to in the next few days but hopefully within the next week.

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 06:18:39 AM »
Okay I've just done some of the most important changes based on the feedback I've been getting. I won't upload it to rosedragon until I've made the changes for later in the module as well but this should make a big difference to the earlier stages.

1. Put the monsters back to standard, allowing goblins and kobolds to be swept by Celestrion.
2. Put text outside the Hap buildings so the player knows what's where without having to go inside.
3. Put warnings in the cave for the tough fights.
4. Changed the position of the cave entrance so it's the same as CotAB.
5. Fixed a couple of small bugs and typos I missed.

Edit:
Don't move your save files over if you have Alissia in the party unless you want to edit the cave dungeon event on the entrance square. I moved her down a slot so now she won't get removed.

Re-Edit:
You might want to rename goblin guards to goblin warriors, give them shields and improve their AC by one so they match the combat icons, I forgot to do that. Not too much of a problem though, you can still get shields from the kobolds.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:31:22 PM by Platinum Bearer »

anything