Author Topic: Curse of the azure bonds (game 40)  (Read 827 times)

Offline Mtdl

Curse of the azure bonds (game 40)
« on: August 27, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am currently playing through Curse of the Azure Bonds (game 40) and am wondering if there are differences between the original game and the FRUA port? I did a quick search but nothing came up. If it is documented somewhere, could someone point me to it?

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: Curse of the azure bonds (game 40)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 05:48:39 AM »
Hey, sorry for the late reply! I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question; if it's not documented in the accompanying readme or on the Realm website, I doubt there is a listing of possible differences anywhere else. I was hoping some other member might be able to give some insight into this, as I've never played the original myself, and it's been a long time since I played the remake. I guess Ray, the author himself, would be able to shed a light on it, the next time he drops in, but it may be a while.

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »
Hey, no problem. I believe I ran into something different from the original. In Hap village, where you encounter Drow patrols, wasn't Akbar Bel Akash provoking them into battle if you had him in your party? He doesn't say anything in this version, though perhaps I remember wrong..

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »

I did my best to keep it as close to the source material as possible, but my approach involved playing it on one computer while creating it on another.  That led to a lot of reloading and trying the same thing making another choice in a question box.  That definitely created room for error.

However, I'm playing through the Gog version of CotAB right now, and I'm running into some things that I know I never experienced before.  So, I suspect there may be some version differences, as well. 

Beyond that, there are some things that were programmed specifically for CotAB that never carried over into FRUA--the only examples I can think of off the cuff are in Pool of Radiance, but I'm sure that also happened in CotAB--so that's a third source of differences.

So, it wasn't possible to clone the game 100% accurately--this is totally fan fiction--but a lot of pains-taking work did go into making it as accurate as possible.  And, you have the benefits of being able to use up and down arrow keys (rather than home and end), and the game remembers what spells you had memorized when you encamp... :D

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:46:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I completed it like a week ago and really enjoyed this version. I think another difference with the original is how you limited resting in general. I barely beat the final fight having almost spent all my spells! It made the victory all the more satisfying.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:16:12 AM »

Awesome--Glad you liked it!

I don't remember making that change to resting, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did.  The old Gold Box games handled resting a lot more efficiently that FRUA does, so where the Gold Box games could make resting difficult, FRUA largely gives designers the options of either Yes or No.  It looks like a percentage chance for an encounter, but the way the FRUA dice fall, it's really not a percentage chance...So, I probably just decided to save the limited events and say the party couldn't rest, rather than give the false impression that they could try...

Thanks for the feedback!  Much appreciated!  :)

anything