Author Topic: Newbie Questions 'The Realm'  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Sailent

Newbie Questions 'The Realm'
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
Hello folks,

I've bought FRUA with the GOG re-release and solved most 'getting started'-troubles on my own.

Some questions remain, though:
I immediately started Ray Dyer's epic 'The Realm'-Campaign with the 'Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh'.
Sad to say, I wasn't able to purchase an armor! I even left Saltmarsh, heading for other cities. To no avail. Weapons galore, but not even a single armor or shield for sale.

Is this a feature, or is it just me?

Since I got stuck at Saltmarsh, I ended that little episode prematurely, transferred my characters and went for 'Skeletons' instead. Couldn't buy armor there either, but the villain brought a decent plate mail along! At long last!
With three human Rangers in my party, slaying those hill giants in 'Keep of the Borderlands' was a piece of cake. These nightly random encounters had led to absurd amounts of surplus magical weapons!

Now I face another problem:
I'm about two thirds through and need a shop to dump all that cash! By now, every party member has: a long range weapon of at least +2, an edged melee weapon of at least +2 and a blunt melee weapon of at least +2. The Glassblower sells mage scrolls with three level 6 spells. My mage won't be able to scribe these scrolls for a VERY long time. Where do I get low level mage spells from (like: second and third level spells)?  BTW, the treasure drops are astonishing to say the least: Plate Mail +4 and Flail +5 for an average player level 3?

Help would be appreciated very much!

PS Can't wait to see that green Dragon's hoard. Is a green dragon supposed to use its breath weapon more than three times per combat?

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Newbie Questions 'The Realm'
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »
Hm there should be weapons and armor to buy in every serious module :)

Keep on the borderlands is a good place to start it was one of my first modules to play. I remember having real troubles till I found utility to reveal map of area while playing. I think it is called Area-on.exe program and it allows to see area map during play so You don't need to map things by hand which I tried having troubles with orientation.

Second thing You probably need to do is update FRUA to latest version, then apply hacks which are needed to play every more serious mod because those hacks change most of the things in game like graphics ect. You need to learn how to do this. Till then You will have troubles playing games that are hacked and they probably will not work very good though I guess they might be playable to some degree.

I am hoping someone will be able to give you better instructions, as I have my FRUA on older Lap Top now and need to do some work. But I might try to do it later also :).

Good to see one more person joining our adventures :)

Offline Sailent

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
Oh, OK. So far, I mapped everything by hand and didn't notice any other problems.
I thought external graphics, items, text and stuff are brought with the design files?
I had the impression, the re-release by GOG would be the latest version. How do I check?
Not sure, how to update. by the way, the music is awful.
 :o At least I found out about the Look command.  ;D

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:42:09 AM »
I've bought FRUA with the GOG re-release and solved most 'getting started'-troubles on my own.

If you bought the game through GOG and its the English version, then you own version 1.2 which is the most recent.

Some questions remain, though:
I immediately started Ray Dyer's epic 'The Realm'-Campaign with the 'Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh'.
Sad to say, I wasn't able to purchase an armor! I even left Saltmarsh, heading for other cities. To no avail. Weapons galore, but not even a single armor or shield for sale.

Is this a feature, or is it just me?

Merchants are few and far between in the Realm. I think that there is NOT a smithy anywhere in Saltmarsh.

There IS a smithy in the Keep on the Borderlands. You should be able to buy some basic gear in that module. You should also be able to sell any unwanted junk. You will probably have to drop piles of gold that are too heavy to carry, eventually.

BTW, the treasure drops are astonishing to say the least: Plate Mail +4 and Flail +5 for an average player level 3?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that you are supposed to have any +4 or +5 gear at these early levels.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 02:09:45 AM »
by the way, the music is awful.

Do you mean to say that you don't like the music or that it sounds off? You did install UAShell, following the instructions I posted, right? If so, did you try to change the sound settings (EDITORS/SOUND REGISTRY in the UAShell menu)? Like I wrote, for me Roland music sounded awful, too, while Adlib was fine. If it's different in your case, you might have to experiment with the sound settings a little. Also, I noticed that during UAShell installation it often happens to me that I click "Yes" to Adlib music but then automatically click "Yes" to the following question about Roland music, too, before I even get to see it, so that UAShell tells me that Roland music was applied. Repeat the sound setup and make sure that UAShell confirms that Adlib music was applied!

And you did select the designs with UASHell, right? Just to make sure it worked, compare the screenshots of Keep of the Borderlands below: If you did everything correctly and applied the design with UAShell, your Keep of the Borderlands should look like the brown image on top. If it looks like the gray one below it, then the hacks were not applied correctly, which could explain why you're getting equipment you're probably not supposed to have.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:24:45 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Sailent

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:16:39 AM »
Thanks folks, for all your answers!
I found the Getting Started Guide after several hours of gameplay. Missing equipment in stores, an underwater-tile for a Secret Door.. all that didn't raise my suspicions. Stupid me. Yet, that plate mail +4 did it, finally!
And yeah, the sound issue must be that Roland setting. I'll fix it later today.

Do you think I'll have to start all over, after applying UAShell?
Or will the tilesets,  items, etc. just get fixed and I can go on?

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:00:45 AM »
Do you think I'll have to start all over, after applying UAShell?
Or will the tilesets,  items, etc. just get fixed and I can go on?

I'm afraid you have to start over, preferably by creating new characters as well, just to be on the safe side. The Realm has its own set of items and equipment and it doesn't mix well with the default one. Even the starting equipment contained in the character files that you created in Vanilla UA might mess up things in the hacked Realm designs. In the best case, you'll hardly notice the difference, but if you're unlucky it can suddenly corrupt your game and result in weird bugs (incidentally, the only time that happened to me during my adventures in the Realm was precisely in the Saltmarshes  :o ).

But if you don't feel like playing through the same designs again, just choose a different route and start with another lvl 1 design. The Realm offers more than a enough adventures for several completely different campaigns.

Offline Sailent

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:56:27 AM »
OK. Think I'll start all over again. Glad to have drawn all those maps, though.  ;)

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 05:04:09 AM »
There is also a website by Ray that describes the Realm and in there he gives a suggested order of play which I found to be quite entertaining and levels you up so no module is to easy (nothing about being too had though!).  Most of all enjoy!

http://therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm

FBN66 - Jeff

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 05:16:18 AM »
It is true, items from different hacks look different in default unhacked FRUA, that means battle axe +1 looks like potion of healing in default version for example :) they are all named and placed differently, though items from same hack for example The Realms series are compatible with each other so if you export characters they will have the same gear from Keep on the borderlands for example to Journey to the rock.

And for Area on here you can download it look for Area-on.zip and Area-on.txt files http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/hacks/ they are most useful tools while playing because they reveal maps of area during game which is a lot easier for finding your way to complicated dungeons.

And yes UAShell is tool You need to apply hacks to latest FRUA version. For example this is Planescape hack for mod Dead Gods, that means FRUA has different borders, weapons, class and races and they are Planscape like indtead of standard default ones given in FRUA vanilla mods.

Offline Sailent

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
Well, I've applied UAShell, loaded the 'Skeletons' Design and created a new party from scratch.
Voila. Great sound, excellent tileset, fixed shops and decent treasure. Great improvement!

While creating new characters, the default icon of a human female cleric looks like a  minotaur (size= large). It is possible to choose the icon of harpy.

Did I make something wrong?

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
Probably not, every hack has its own icons You can choose. I doubt there is any harpies. I have seen minotaurs and centaurs and other a bit unusual icons but not harpy I think.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
Well, I've applied UAShell, loaded the 'Skeletons' Design and created a new party from scratch.
Voila. Great sound, excellent tileset, fixed shops and decent treasure. Great improvement!

While creating new characters, the default icon of a human female cleric looks like a  minotaur (size= large). It is possible to choose the icon of harpy.

Did I make something wrong?

No, I remember those icons and it seems like Ray included them on purpose. I don't know the reason why, but in any case it doesn't mean that something went wrong; in the world of the Realm that's perfectly normal.  8) Just ignore UA's default suggestion for your human female cleric and choose a more fitting icon for her yourself.

Offline Sailent

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »
Thanks guys! Now I'm off to the Realm! I left some treasure with a family of hill giants...

Offline Sailent

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 03:10:12 PM »
Yet another question.

I transferred a ring of invisibility from 'Skeletons' to 'Keep at the Borderlands'.
The effect 'insibility(ring)' is displayed, but my magic-user still provokes attacks of opportunity when moving away from enemies. He didn't anything else in that round.

Any ideas?

anything