Author Topic: PREVIEW: Crime Alley #1  (Read 2591 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
PREVIEW: Crime Alley #1
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
I was recently motivated to take part in this:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3050.0

Now, I know that some of you are thinking, "oh great, eric saw another squirrel and off he goes." :D Only kind of this time.

I've been working on a Super Hero base for DC and a design using it. It's epic and not even posted in teh forums yet because of some comments about how I post a new project and then never follow up on it (which is oftern not wrong).

I had thought perhaps a month ago to use the base to make a smaller design, and instead of using all original characters, to use some that others have created. While going to be smaller by a power of 10 than the one I had started, still pretty big. And then after seeing some great stuff that Dinonykos had done for his design "Snow Tigress" (a hundred times "Snow Tigress" ;) ) which he is entering into the contest, I broke down and read the threadabove and thought that what I really need to do is to make an even smaller design, one that would fit into the parameters listed for the contest, and something I might actually get done.

Voila! Crime Alley #1.

I've got a nice, concise outline done already. I have the databases completed (see above about how there is a base for Super Hero designs).  I have a lot of graphics to do for this design. This design will have all new images, all created by me.
Art: 0.1$ complete
Databases: 100% complete
Story: 25% complete
Eventing: 0.1% complete
Scripting: 5% complete

So, the screenshot has what I am using as temporary frames, but I might keep them.

And yes, Nightwing is a character in this design. :D

Edited to add:
Nightwing may no longer be a character in this design (see below) but I will still release the portrait and icon to the community. :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:10:38 PM by manikus »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: PREVIEW: Crime Alley #1
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
And then after seeing some great stuff that Dinonykos had done for his design "Snot Tigress" which he is entering into the contest...

It's "SNOW TIGRESS"! Not "Snot Tigress"!  >:(

;) It is great that you join the contest, Manikus.

I sometimes wonder if using well-known comic characters may be problematic, not only because of the rights aspect (even if you use your own art), but also because the players may have certain expectations concerning the character (like: "That character would never act like this..." "Why did you give him strength 17 only..."). Have you never thought about doing your own superhero scenario?

EDIT: Wow, I just realized how many extra attributes you have added to the character! Great! By the way, why did you give him strength 14 only?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:13:26 PM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »
And then after seeing some great stuff that Dinonykos had done for his design "Snot Tigress" which he is entering into the contest...

It's "SNOW TIGRESS"! Not "Snot Tigress"!  >:(

;) It is great that you join the contest, Manikus.

Sigh. Color me embarassed. :) Snow Tigress, Snow Tigress, Snow tigress.
(I've fixed it in the first post.)

I sometimes wonder if using well-known comic characters may be problematic, not only because of the rights aspect (even if you use your own art), but also because the players may have certain expectations concerning the character (like: "That character would never act like this..." "Why did you give him strength 17 only..."). Have you never thought about doing your own superhero scenario?
I have thought about this. A lot. I read a lot of grphic novels. I hope I have a feel for the characters I am going to use and if people want to email to say that they thought I hsould have handled it differently, they certainly should feel free to do so.
The reason I am going to use "famous" characters for my contest entry is that i have to do less worldbuilding. Don't get me wrong, I love worldbuilding. It is my favorite part of each project, however I can get lost in it and I am working on a deadline here. :D
I also want to do some superhero art of some of the better known DC and Marvel characters. I am part of several art communities that do fan art of comic book characters (among others). I am already working on said art and will continue to whether I use it for this project or not.
I have thought about doing my own, and will do my own. That is the main project I mentioned in the first post. I theoretically could use a chunk of it for the mod. My idea could easily fit into my world. :D Hmm. While I did show Nightwing, he is not the pre-gen PC, but one of a small number of NPCs that might join the PC. The PC is wholly original.
Maybe I will dump DC setting. I do have a whole stable of characters created for the original game... Can you see the cogs working in my head? Maybe instead of just a stand alone design for the contest, I can be doing a prequel of sorts... :D Thanks, Dinonykos!

EDIT: Wow, I just realized how many extra attributes you have added to the character! Great! By the way, why did you give him strength 14 only?  ;D
I've only added two, just changed the names of the other six. The eight on the right are the equivalent of Thieve's Skills in regular Dungeons & Dragons. Everything is controlled by a script. I am storing the data in ASLs for some, and others are just part of a list for a Special Ability.
Why 14 strength? Why not? :D I am still using the 3 to 18 scale, but have seen him do enough spectacular flips to go the 19 where it counts. I didn't look at any sources for these numbers, I just needed an NPC to test the layout and scripts. :D But, now I'm thinking that I won't use him anyway. I'll use someone original.

I do plan on doing a bunch (10+) of DC characters portraits and icons I may or may not include character sheets so that people can just add them into their designs (well based on my Super Hero base at least).  But I might just do the art. I have no idea if anyone will be interested in using my base for their own Super hero adventures. I am not just taking SHUA and importing it to DC. I am changing things that I think need changed and that I am not restricted to do because of the engine. :)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
Here you go. Just in case you change your mind about the module name change.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
Here you go. Just in case you change your mind about the module name change.

I find this both a hilarious and kind of disturbing that you came up with a graphic so quickly. ;)

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
...I sometimes wonder if using well-known comic characters may be problematic, not only because of the rights aspect (even if you use your own art), but also because the players may have certain expectations concerning the character (like: "That character would never act like this..."

In today's comicbook marketplace, the only continuity that nobody seems to care about is continuity of character (particularly as in personality).  The steady stream of character reinventions and re-reinventions has become the only constant in the ever-changing superhero universes.  Even Superman has succumbed, multiple times, to this (apparently) irresistible tide.  Who will save us now? 

Perhaps only Snot Tigress...   

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
Timing. Saw the posts fairly soon after they made. Google-fu Snot Tigress. No nasaly-infected felines, but Tigress from Kung-Fu Panda pops up. Google snot drips. Fine a plethora of images. Two look good. Crop, scale, layer, voila!

It took longer for me to remember my photobucket account password and how to properly display an image on these forums than to actually make the image. (Okay, not really longer, but from reading the post to posting the image was about 20 minutes.)

Also, I agree with hans about character continuity. There are so many alternate universes in super heroic comics, I wouldn't worry about it. DC just came off another multiverse spanning "Crisis", and Marvel is currently in the throes of a multiverse-shattering "Secret Wars".

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:09:40 AM »
Since this is about Manikus' new design, I have switched to the other thread
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2027.msg43102#msg43102
to answer anything related to "Snow Tigress"... :)

Another point concerning building new "universes": Of course, using widely-known worlds and characters, you have less effort in explaining things (this is probably why so many games with fantasy background only use the standard creatures like elves, dwarves etc.). But as long as your own superheroes have some interesting aspects, I would really like to see completely original Manikus-made characters. :)
Although Hans and Vix are certainly right that comic book character personalities change very often.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 06:54:42 AM »
Love the picture of Snot Tigress, Vix. Next contest: mucus theme.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:54:29 AM »
I've been working on a Super Hero base for DC and a design using it.

I'm excited to see a design using Hero Craft (or Super Hero Dungeon Craft)!

The name of the character in the screenshot should be spelled "Dick Grayson".
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:36:13 PM by Nol Drek »
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »
...But as long as your own superheroes have some interesting aspects, I would really like to see completely original Manikus-made characters. :) ...

As a mod author, I do find creating my own superheroes to be far more fulfilling than using somebody else's.  Even when I set one in the Marvel Universe (SHUA-mu1.dsn), I created my own new characters as the pre-made PCs to interact within that world. 

The one-time I used someone else's established characters for PCs (X-Anime.dsn), I used my pseudonym of the notorious Rocco Taku, as it just didn't feel like a true "hans" mod to me. 

I also admit that I'm always curious as to what types of superheroes other gamers create for themselves... 

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »
I also admit that I'm always curious as to what types of superheroes other gamers create for themselves...
Concerning powers: There are interesting aspects of overmighty heroes like Dr Manhattan, but for my own stories/games I prefer characters which have only slightly superhuman (or supermartenic, in my case :) ) abilities (like quick regeneration, good reflexes, infrared vision and so on). It is quite easy to make the reader/player put him-/herself inside such a character. I do not so much like anything that goes in the direction of telepathy... A particular challenge is, of course, design a character with superhuman intelligence...  ;D

So, I am looking forward to what Manikus comes up with...  :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
Excellent points, all. :D

I would prefer that the comic book companies didn't keep changing origin stories. But, you get used to it. What bothers me is recycling of storylines. There are so many writers out there with great ideas that haven't been done before... sigh.
I get that DC and Marvel are all about making the money. I'm okay with that. I just try to read some smaller press stuff along with the big 2. :)

Similar to hans idea mentioned above, I was going to set this design in the DCU, with well-known NPCs that might join, but the pre-gen PC and his storyline would be my invention.

And lest we think that the only way to confuse things is to randomly reboot characters, let us not forget all of the alternate universe versions of characters.

What I would really love is a DC line of comics that kept to the original timelines/origins/stories - youi know where the heroes sart out at the end of the 1930s. You could still have a current Batman, but s/he might be the granddaughterr/grandson of Bruce Wayne, etc.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »
Making some headway...
Outline is done.
there will be 5 named heroes (NPCs and the pre-gen PC) 3 concepts are done with character portraits also done. There will be 4 named villains, basics of concepts down, no art.

At this time, the Snot Tigress does not make an appearance, but you never know... ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »
The concept of using a known comic universe but adding own characters is good, this sounds promising! And I am happy to read that the PC does not use snot superpowers...