Author Topic: Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest  (Read 8098 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:03 PM »
It's time for another contest. This one must have a pre-generated character, 1-4 areas, and 1 maximum overland area. It would be due 1 December 2015 for UANL 54.

It is about the PC, who can be with an NPC (as the sidekick). It can be hacked or vanilla or DC. It can be FRUA-OA, BRUA, SHUA or any worldhack.

If you have any questions, ask here: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3032.0

Offline hans

Re: Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:37:02 PM »
I'm gonna try for this contest, since I've already done an EGA mod. 

I'm gonna try to make progress both on this and Rocco Taku's neverending SHUA project mod.  I've got a story in mind, which will also be SHUA.  I usually have a tough time with contest deadlines, but hopefully...

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:18:17 AM »
I'm gonna try for this contest, since I've already done an EGA mod. 

I'm gonna try to make progress both on this and Rocco Taku's neverending SHUA project mod.  I've got a story in mind, which will also be SHUA.  I usually have a tough time with contest deadlines, but hopefully...
It is five months until the contest ends. Plenty of time, even with a couple hours a week.  ;)

Online Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »
I will try to make something too.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I think I have a vague idea based on another book I've read lately. Not sure if I can give the PC the powers it needs or not.

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:33:40 PM »
I think I have a vague idea based on another book I've read lately. Not sure if I can give the PC the powers it needs or not.

Does that imply super-powers?  What does your PC need?

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 11:56:41 PM »

Does that imply super-powers?  What does your PC need?
I posted you for secrecy.  ::)

Offline hans

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 11:03:46 AM »

If this is top secret, shouldn't we be using the Cone of Silence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcSWI6Ppks

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 10:35:27 PM »

If this is top secret, shouldn't we be using the Cone of Silence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcSWI6Ppks
I think the Closet of Silence would be better.  :D

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »
To cut time, I'll be employing a trick I used before for my Mj-M-1.dsn (see this thread: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=192.msg412#msg412), by creating a Freedom Force game's superhero skin and then using screencaps from the FF CTool program with the character posed in different positions for Pics. 

I've already created the skin for my new super-hero protagonist, as well as his sidekick.  I don't know if I'll go through the trouble of creating skins for any of the other characters, as most of them will only need 1 or 2 pics. 

Still, I figure to make a lot of other new art, 3 or 4 Wallsets (or more) and corresponding Backdrops and Combat Dungeons, new Title Screens, a bunch of new Combat Icons, a ton of new Pics, all the BigPics UA allows, and all-new music.  So, I expect I'll be needing all 5 months.   :P

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
Still, I figure to make a lot of other new art, 3 or 4 Wallsets (or more) and corresponding Backdrops and Combat Dungeons, new Title Screens, a bunch of new Combat Icons, a ton of new Pics, all the BigPics UA allows, and all-new music.  So, I expect I'll be needing all 5 months.   :P
I'll need 5 months just to come up with a plot. Though I could have converted my GWC modules if it weren't for the character aspect. My GWCs are like Baldur's Gate, the story is about the main character but you get to make the main character whatever you want.

I suppose I could look through my pdfs for a short adventure that fits the bill. Plane Scape has bunches of them, as does Al-Qadim. Not enough time to convert Al-Qadim The Genie's Curse. That game is a monster on text. I think I wrote out 10 pages for a single conversation. There probably isn't enough room in FRUA to convert it anyhow.

Or I could try a small BRUA or WWUA design. WWUA in particular works well with pre-gens.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:44:38 PM »
Yeah, I think a plot is the biggest challenge.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 04:48:03 AM »
Yeah, I think a plot is the biggest challenge.

Luckily the contest rules don't mention a plot as one of the requirements!  ;)

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »
In Grouchy Old Man I looked up all the oriental monsters that were applicable and built a story about interacting with them. Isn't really working here. Might not even be any combat in this one. I've gotten 50 feet so far. Have 3 or more scenes I can act out. After that I've got nothing. Just a neat starting point. Good thing I have 5 months to come up with a plan.  :-\

Offline hans

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »
Well, I've made up another Freedom Force skin, this skin for one of the 3 main villains in my mod.  So, I'll probably be doing a few more skins before I'm done, and hopefully the mod will have a nice visual consistency. 

The mod is plotted, and I've written out more than half the adventure on a memo pad.  So, I think I'm making good progress...

anything