Author Topic: Converting VGA images to EGA  (Read 6872 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Converting VGA images to EGA
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
I just loaded up Pools of Darkness in EGA mode.  Some of the artwork is fine (like the picture of Elminster below), and some of it is hideous (the other picture...what is up with those eyes?).  So, I'm guessing at the point that this game was made, they put less care into how the EGA artwork was handled.  They didn't even get Elminster's colors right, so I don't think anyone even looked them.

Considering these look worse, I'm going to guess they didn't start as EGA pictures and actually began as VGA.  I think the opposite is true of the earlier games that had VGA modes, but that's just a guess.  Not sure if that helps in any way, though (probably doesn't).  But, I thought was interesting.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
The Vala pic is an EGA version of the VGA-ed version of the original EGA version from Secret of the Silver Blades.   :P

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »
Here is my own attempt to EGA Elminster - I might have to redo him to get the green hat to look better.

And the original EGA version of Vala from SSB- somehow I never noticed her reflection in the Silver Blade until today.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »
Sweet!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 07:46:23 AM »
And the original EGA version of Vala from SSB- somehow I never noticed her reflection in the Silver Blade until today.

I didn't notice it in SSB originally either.  Once POD came out and I played that, though, it was obvious.  It's much more subtle in the EGA artwork, though, so it's easy to miss.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »
Nol thank you so very much for the numericals on this effort... for those of us who work art via numbers, this is invaluable.

Surprised Vix hasn't chimed in as she was/is a premiere of colourising EGA --> VGA and backwards-comp is probably another perspective that could aid.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »
Surprised Vix hasn't chimed in as she was/is a premiere of colourising EGA --> VGA and backwards-comp is probably another perspective that could aid.

I chimed in on the thread that spawned this one.

Much different up converting EGA → VGA than down converting VGA → EGA. Nol's numbers are likely the best way if used in some sort of program.

I suppose you could use a color replacer tool in a paint program and go value by value replacing the colors you wish with the EGA equivalent. Setting a tolerance for nearby color values could speed that up. Beats doing it pixel by pixel. You'd need a reference for the EGA colors, especially if they aren't in the VGA palette already.

It would be doable, but painstaking.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 03:04:05 PM »
Manual conversion by color replacement seems to be the most efficient method currently available.

The small pics have all been replaced - by default EGA art whenever possible, occasionally by taking VGA images from GSF, TSF, POD, or FRUA and converting them to EGA. Now I'm working on Sprites. Below is a VGA to EGA conversion of a Sprite that came out well.

Some Sprites in the Gold Box games use only the Far Away and Nearby images. The Up Close images are blank. When a monster gets Up Close, the designers would have to switch to a Small Pic.

Offline hans

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
...Some Sprites in the Gold Box games use only the Far Away and Nearby images. The Up Close images are blank. When a monster gets Up Close, the designers would have to switch to a Small Pic.

Since it's only EGA, you could use Dan Autery's TOOLBOX proggie to make Big Sprites out of those separate elements.  The EGA Small Pic of the monster could be used without changes as the Up Close image of the Big Sprite, so long as it wasn't an Animated Pic.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
I haven't made Big Sprites before, but some of the default Gold Box Sprites are larger than 72x80 in the Up Close pose. I assume that the Up Close image can be as large as 88x88?

Offline hans

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »
I haven't made Big Sprites before, but some of the default Gold Box Sprites are larger than 72x80 in the Up Close pose. I assume that the Up Close image can be as large as 88x88?

Not in the regular Sprites, IIRC, the sides don't quite go all the way.  With Big Sprites, there are three full 88x88 squares to work with.  So, in transferring regular Nearby or Far Away images into a Big Sprite, you would have to increase the surrounding Transparency to fill that extra space. 

Dan's TOOLBOX, like all his proggies, is incredibly easy to use.  I encourage you to try to make a couple Big Sprites, just as a learning experience, and I think you might really like the ease of the process as well as the results. 

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 11:49:26 PM »
If you have TOOLBOX installed, just use the base DRW-BSPR.pcx file that bears the big sprite default template as your base.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »
I use Toolbox for importing Walls, PC Icons, and Title Screens. I've always used FRUA to Import Sprites, so I was unaware of the possibility of Big Sprites. Thanks for the help!

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
The Sprites are now complete. Thanks for pointing me towards Toolbox, which allowed me to recolor the Cloud Giant and Spectre Sprites without the need to resize them.

Time to move on to Combat Icons... I predict that it should be easy to find EGA versions of the Combat Icons for all of the default FRUA monsters.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »
That Spectre looks really good.  I'd love to see what the recolored Cloud Giant looks like.

anything