Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite Modules  (Read 1226 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Favorite and Least Favorite Modules
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
I'm interested in hearing which modules for D&D or AD&D you guys either love or hate.  I haven't run many modules over the years (always been a DM who creates my own campaigns), so I just want to know which ones had great stories or which should be avoided like the plague.  Can be from any edition of D&D (or even a non-D&D game if you want).

Thanks.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Favorite and Least Favorite Modules
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »
I was running Greyhawk Ruins last but got bored of it a bit. It is not that bad, probably would be more interesting if it was tabletop, but it is mostly 1e with lots of unfinished things during early 2e era. I guess it is not that bad, but long long one with no interesting story to it except some older things that are relived. I figured that I would have much more fun if I was running something made by myself.

Adventures by Bill Sweeny (unoffical net versions, namely fire and ice and 2 others that I can't remember) are my favorite though they are mostly story driven without much dungeon crawling. I have run Fire and Ice once, paladin was curios about frozen adventurers gear in ice pillar so he ended up buried under mountain cave. Last rogue tried to bergain with Ice dragon but after he started to ride him was thrown from the sky. I don't remember name that is set in Tantras but it happens after times of troubles (place where Bane and Torm clashed) and I have run it twice. I remember that player that played rogue in fire and ice ended up in a trap with lightning bolt, but first time they finished adventure. And second party played half of it, instead of running away from the ambush in the inn they killed everyone, mostly wizard with his spells :)

Hm about rest, I guess all that I have run were favorite to me, and some run by my friends. Those are Sword of the dales trilogy. Doom of Daggerdale was run by my friend we didn't finished it was interesting.

I have run Beneath the twisted tower, also unfinished, maybe TPK. Then one adventure from 1e FR set about lost library of myth drannor, that was one session game I throw some fire giants at start, one of players played Drizzt :), also unfinished.

What else... I had Ruins of the Myth Drannor Box set, Undermountain 1 and 2 I guess those are nice, I like them would like to play them :). I don't remember all advenures we have played from dungeon magazine, but I probably could find them. I am sure we played more then 10 or even 20 or in between.

My friend have run Eye of Traldar (Mystara), we finished it (campaign that ended with deck of many things fiasco) after that we played 3-4 dungeon magazine adventures all in Mystara.

My group played Ruins of Adventure while I was away studing, and Castle Spulzeer (I think FR version only) and ship of horror though only one session i was there too. Also they have played some net adventure with Mammon. I have run Ravenloft Dark of the Moon, i had fun but others didn't. And Eye of the serpent, that at least was fun.

I had few Ravenloft adventures that I have never had a chance to run. Also I had FR Hordes of Dragonspear and Sword of Iron Legion. As Dragonspear, Swords of Iron Legion used Battlesystem rules, I have run first adventure of it but that player that was running wizard that killed most in the inn in Tantras didn't wanted to help gnomes against goblins, was one session adventure, there should be a battle but :).

And that's about it :) I have run few adventures on my own also but nothing special. I guess places I liked most were Waterdeep and North, Dales and Cormyr (I have run one Play on forum game for a year started in Arabel), and Tantras, but also some others. Also net Campaign Northern Journey looks good I finaly have it, maybe a bit more story to it then dungeoneering. Also I have net expansion for Undermountain would like to test it. 

And I had Maztica City of gold, nice adventure but didnt tested it saw one FRUA Maztica adventure would like to play it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:10:30 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:29:03 PM »
Ans 2 books that are definetely my favorites though also I never had run them are Elmister Ecologies Appendix 1 and 2. I had Elmisnter Ecologies Box set also interesting but those 2 are great. I had some Durk Sun and DL too but never run or played it with my group.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
My favorite D&D modules are:

Harbinger House - A Planescape adventure which includes a murder mystery and an insane asylum.

Dead Gods - An epic campaign to prevent the return of a classic villain long thought dead.

Tomb of Horrors - A deadly module where the party's wits are more important than their stats.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:28:47 AM »
Can you shed some light onto why they are your favorites?  You don't have to detail the plots or anything.  I'm just curious what it is about those particular modules that stand out as your favorites.  Do they do something different that other modules don't do, or is there a nostalgia factor involved?

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:42:35 AM »
I have played trough FRUA version of Dead gods, very nice one I have to say and longer. I have also found an entry about drow city that was done very nicely there. I can't find it now but it is about some drow civil war, and that city was also mentioned in 1e module probably Vault of the drow. I think name of the city is Erelhei-Cinlu. Here are the links I don't have time now to read trough it but I am hoping that it is the one.
http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Erelhei-Cinlu
http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kiaransalee

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
Harbinger House: The players explore the city of Sigil and solve a mystery. This part of the module reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes adventure. The Insane Asylum which is Harbinger House has many curious residents. Each room represents a different mental illness. The House can easily be expanded upon and a DM can add lots of side adventures. You can play through the entire adventure from start to finish without ever engaging in combat.

Dead Gods: This adventure is a tour de force of creative module writing. Monte Cook is one of my favorite module authors, and I chose this one as being the exemplar of his creativity. The party travels throughout the planes by means of Yggdrasil, the World Tree of Asgardian myth. It explains how it is possible for the Gods of D&D to die and what happens to them when they do. It is steeped in AD&D lore and could be seen as a sort of sequel to the events of many of the classic 1st edition modules. As Milos pointed out, one of the 9 chapters which make up the "Out of the Darkness" mega-adventure could have been called "Return to the Vault of the Drow". Note that my own adaptation for FRUA only covers "Out of the Darkness". The final 3 chapters entitled "Into the Light" serve as a nice epilogue for the epic.

Tomb of Horrors: The classic death trap dungeon. Each room is essentially a puzzle which the characters need to solve to advance further into the dungeon. Wrong decisions lead to death. Smart decisions lead to victory. There are secret doors everywhere. Did your Thief try to detect traps on the secret door which you can only find if you search for the secret door inside the other secret door below the secret trap door which your Elf just noticed? There is almost no combat, but there are great rewards for carefully thought out play.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
Thanks for the insights.  Much appreciated.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »
I think Village of Hommlet was my favorite. It was one of the first modules I played when it was all new and exciting. I guess no one got killed by poison stingers. I also really liked the G1-G3 modules. Again, it was so new everything about them was exciting.

I think Temple of Elemental Evil is my least favorite. It is a gigantic hack and slash whose plot isn't very interesting. It took forever to force myself to read it.

Most of the modules I got to play were Judge's Guild. We used to lose a lot because the DMs never understood that one 2nd-level lizardman could outroll a whole party of 1st-level characters.

From reading enjoyment I include A1-A4, Q1, D1-D3. The fact that they were part of a continuous series made them better. They had new monsters, magic and ideas. Helped form how I saw AD&D as a DM. The Tomb of the Lizard King, Ravenloft, the S series, U1-3 were also enjoyable. The Pool of Radiance (Ruins of Adventure?) and Curse of the Azure Bonds modules were also fun.
I didn't get to play too many modules, I usually DMed.

anything