Author Topic: Show Me Your Gold Box PC Icons  (Read 7158 times)

Online steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Show Me Your Gold Box PC Icons
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »
Both look better, IMHO.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
That robe is miles better.  Great work.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline eldir

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »
Just a couple observations. I don't know if any of them warrant changes though.

1. Icons 6 and 17 are very similar: only the hair color and the shading of the body are different. Icon 1 might also be included, although there are significant color differences.

2. I think icon 5 is one I submitted. In my original submission , the arms and legs were light and dark purple, but the lighter color appears to have been changed to the same gray that's used for the background. I only bring it up because I'm not sure that was an intentional change. But I also now note that it's very similar to icon 17, with the dark body and purple coloring.

3. Very similar coloring in icons 37-39, and I suppose 9 could also be thrown in there.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
1. Icons 6 and 17 are very similar: only the hair color and the shading of the body are different. Icon 1 might also be included, although there are significant color differences.

Do you have an alternative to suggest?

2. I think icon 5 is one I submitted. In my original submission , the arms and legs were light and dark purple, but the lighter color appears to have been changed to the same gray that's used for the background. I only bring it up because I'm not sure that was an intentional change. But I also now note that it's very similar to icon 17, with the dark body and purple coloring.

The arms and legs of Icon #5 still look purple to me, not the background gray. I chose colors that are in the normal FRUA icon palette range, so there is some variation in color. Most of the EGA colors get repeated at least once in the standard FRUA palette. I am considering doing a version which only uses the first 16 EGA colors, which would cause the icons to change based on the choice of the ALWAYS.TLB.

3. Very similar coloring in icons 37-39, and I suppose 9 could also be thrown in there.

Halflings, Elves, and Rangers have a fondness for Green Pants. Suggest an alternative and I'll make the changes.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »

It's an illusion.  If you zoom in, you will see that they are definitely a light purple color.  The purple being used is much lighter and a little more blue than the one used in your original submission which makes it look very similar to the background color unless you really look at it.

Offline eldir

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 04:11:58 AM »
It's an illusion.  If you zoom in, you will see that they are definitely a light purple color.  The purple being used is much lighter and a little more blue than the one used in your original submission which makes it look very similar to the background color unless you really look at it.

Yeah, I see it now. It didn't occur to me that POR and FRUA would have different color palettes.

Anyway, here are a few more icons. Feel free to use them (or not) as you wish. A couple human fighters, at least one of which is male (the other could be either, I suppose, what with the helm), and a male halfling fighter/thief. They've already been corrected and slightly tweaked to the FRUA palette.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »

Halflings, Elves, and Rangers have a fondness for Green Pants. Suggest an alternative and I'll make the changes.

Brown is another  'earth color'.

It may be appropriate for adventurers facing mummies and dragons... ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »

01 = MHF1 02 = MHF2 03 = MHF3 04 = MHP  05 = FHF3 06 = MHF4 07 = MHF5
08 = MHF6 09 = MEF1 10 = MEF2 11 = FHF1 12 = FHF2 13 = FHP  14 = FHF4
15 = FEF2 16 = FEF1 17 = MHR  18 = MHT1 19 = MHT2 20 = MET  21 = FHT
22 = FET  23 = FHM4 24 = MHCG 25 = FHCG 26 = FHCN 27 = MHCN 28 = MHMG
29 = MHMN 30 = MHME 31 = MHM4 32 = FHMG 33 = FHMN 34 = FHME 35 = MDF
36 = FDF  37 = FHR  38 = MHaF 39 = MHAT 40 = FHAF 41 = FHaT 42 = MGF
43 = MGT  44 = FGF  45 = FGT  46 = MHCE 47 = FHCE 48 = MDT  49 = FDT

Changes:
17 Male Human Ranger - Polearm
38 Male Halfling Fighter - Brown Pants

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
That seems like a decent amount of diversity. 

Out of curiousity, what is it that you're planning to do with the icons?  I only ask because it would be awesome to create a base EGA version of FRUA with these icons and 16-color artwork from the various Gold-Box games.  There are plenty of EGA wallsets, backdrops and dungeons too.  Any thoughts on that?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:22 AM »
I'm planning to release 2 CBODY files. One will be the icons you've seen above, designed to work in a FRUA module with a standard palette. The second will be the icons you've seen above, designed to work with just the 1st 16 colors. In other words, the EGA portion of the standard FRUA palette.

An EGA total conversion would be nice to have. One could use "Kill the Heroes of Phlan" http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/e/ega.txt and "Neverwinter Nights - Offline Version" http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/n/neverwin.txt as a starting point.

Besides the two I mentioned above, are there any other EGA modules?

Offline eldir

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 02:47:15 PM »
As a somewhat curious aside, in playing around with the character combat icons, it seems in POR (at least; I haven't played the others yet to see they're the same) that you can't change the color of helms or hats if you choose a head icon that has one. I'm sure this is common knowledge here, but I originally played POR (though I never completed it) on the Amiga. I'm fairly certain that in that version, if your head icon had a helm or hat, it would change colors in sync with the body colors. So I was surprised to discover that's apparently not possible in the PC version. Seems like a rather glaring oversight.

I think the Amiga games also starting moving towards the fancier, pre-generated combat icons of the kind that are in FRUA much sooner than the PC versions. In Champions of Krynn, for instance, the game allowed you to choose from both customizable combat icons and pre-generated ones. However, in the latter case, attempting to change the colors or parts didn't do anything. But in the PC version of Pools of Darkness, you're still "limited" to customizable icons only.

Anyway, I thought some people might find that interesting.

Offline hans

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
...An EGA total conversion would be nice to have. One could use "Kill the Heroes of Phlan" http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/e/ega.txt and "Neverwinter Nights - Offline Version" http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/n/neverwin.txt as a starting point...

Back when UA first came out, we, as a community, were careful about not using graphics from other PC games that we hadn't been given permission to use.  I find it hard to believe that anybody would care anymore if we converted graphics from any EGA game, as the graphic style is now sooooooo antiquated. 

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »
it would be awesome to create a base EGA version of FRUA with these icons and 16-color artwork from the various Gold-Box games.  There are plenty of EGA wallsets, backdrops and dungeons too.  Any thoughts on that?

What should be done with the VGA artwork that was created for GSF, TSF, POD, and DQK?

Should we:

1) Recolor the VGA images to EGA.
2) Replace the VGA images with completely different EGA images.

It would be nice if some of the games that were made for VGA also had the ability to run in EGA mode. I don't know if any of the later games supported EGA graphics.

As an example, here is my attempt to recolor Sulajia from Treasures of the Savage Frontier.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
I only ask because it would be awesome to create a base EGA version of FRUA with these icons and 16-color artwork from the various Gold-Box games. 

I find this funny after converting a ton of old EGA pics to VGA a while back. heh

I think it is doable, but you have to be careful. It would be easy to simply create an EGA palette and import into a VGA image using the "nearest color" option. Our resident pixel artists can attest to the work needed to make an image look good within strict limitations.

EDIT: Forgot to say that Nol's conversion is a good example of not just doing a "nearest color" swap. It looks good.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:26:17 PM by Vix »

Offline hans

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
As I recall, all of the Goldbox games had EGA modes.  In fact, even the first Eye of the Beholder game from SSI had an EGA mode.