Poll

When someone releases a new design, do you load up FRUA and play it soon after release?

Yes
5 (35.7%)
No
3 (21.4%)
Sometimes
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 07, 2015, 06:17:43 PM

Author Topic: Do You Play New Designs?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Do You Play New Designs?
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
Someone, on another section of these forums, said that it was hard to get people to play a FRUA design.  I told them it wasn't hard at all if you advertised the finished module here.  I just want to see if people play new modules upon release.  If you're the kind of person who tries out a new module within a year of its release, answer yes.  Otherwise, no is a good answer.

Write in answers are fine for clarification.

Also, I know the boards are fairly quiet these days.  But I don't assume that means people aren't using FRUA.  Sometimes, there's only so much you can say about something...and some of us have been around for 20 years at this point.

Anyway, answer away!
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Online hans

Re: Do You Play New Designs?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
I wish there was a "sometimes" option...   :P

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:32:01 AM »
I wish there was a "sometimes" option...   :P

Your wish is granted.  Feel free to change your vote.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
Not to be a self-promoting noodge, but can we put up the revised Vanilla Dungeon and the Easytype version? I'd at least like the fixed version to be available for posterity.

Online hans

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
Thanks   :) 

I voted "sometimes." 

If it's a non-standard-fantasy mod, say SHUA or OAUA or SFUA, it would be "always" barring unforeseen real-life events that might delay.   ;D

For standard fantasy mods, especially if they're unhacked, I might or might not, depending on how interesting they sound.  I DL them, with the intention of playing them, but I find myself in no big hurry if they sound similar to dozens of mods I've already played.  As I'm usually working on at least one project of my own, I often delay and delay playing the new mod until I've pretty much forgotten about it.   :(

If several mods are released within a short span, I might not be able to devote enough time to play all of them, and so might choose the most attractive-sounding one.  This scenario, tho rare, has happened on occasion.  The others I put in line, and may get bumped down when even newer mods are released.   :-[

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
Not to be a self-promoting noodge, but can we put up the revised Vanilla Dungeon and the Easytype version? I'd at least like the fixed version to be available for posterity.

Fine by me.  Fortunately, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline Null Null

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
Oh, I uploaded them to the Mirror, fixing (a) the bugs people told me about and (b) making an easier version. Did they disappear?

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:21:08 AM »
Null Null, they didn't disappear. They were updated on Rosedragon back in August.

The Easytype upload was the only that received a new entry in the log as the vanilla version was a new version to what you posted January though the files were updated in August.

Offline Null Null

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
My bad, guys. Please accept my apologies.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
I first chose "Yes" but then changed my vote to "Sometimes" like hans, because I have to admit, I don't necessarily play through every new release, depending on what it is. But I always check the archive and take notice of new releases, and if it's something I'm interested in, I will play it sooner or later.

It's more likely that I will play it, if ....
... it's short.
... focused on story.
... has original ideas beyond the standard fantasy tropes, or at least quite engaging storytelling.
... it uses a more unusual and rare setting that I'm fan of or curious about (Planescape, Oriental, Modern/Sci-Fi, Ravenloft/Horror etc.)
... has some custom graphics (French vanilla), or if it's properly hacked (new frame etc.).
... it's by a well-known author whose work I like, or by a debut author who's completely unknown to me, or by someone explicitly asking for constructive feedback

It's less likely that I will play it, if ....
... it promises to be of epic length.
... it's mostly hack and slash, with little storytelling.
... it has lots of random combats.
... it only uses default graphics.

That being said, I would still try out e.g. a design with default graphics that is short and focused on storytelling, or a design with lots of combat, if it's accompanied by an exciting story, original ideas and/or beautiful graphics.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:51:04 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
I voted sometimes, though it should be yes if they are really good :D. Btw i really don't have time for playing lately, somehow i got into 3d art more then i thought i would :) but i guess that is good, and good news is that i got one big unofficial FR campaign that i lost in 2e so i am happy :). I need to continue to play Neverwinter and to work on my DC adventure.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
Btw i planed to play every FRUA adventure in FRUA archive, i am not sure if that is possible :) not sure if anyone did that before :D

Online hans

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
It's encouraging to see how the poll is shaking out, so far (and hopefully more people will participate).  It does seem that there are players waiting out there for new mods, even if a paucity of reviews might make one think otherwise.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
Btw i planed to play every FRUA adventure in FRUA archive, i am not sure if that is possible :) not sure if anyone did that before :D

Is it possible? Yes.

Has anyone done it before? It's hard to know unless you post a review of each game in this thread:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?board=5.0 or document your adventures as a Let's Play video: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?shelf_id=7&sort=dd&view=50

PetrusOctavianus and Olivier Leroux have probably reviewed more modules than anyone else.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 01:37:24 AM »
PetrusOctavianus and Olivier Leroux have probably reviewed more modules than anyone else.

Actually I haven't reviewed that many, I just helped Ben to post all the old reviews from the UANL when the forum was set up, and now my name is connected with them as a poster. I did play through a lot of UA designs though, mainly (almost) all the ones listed in my Hall of Fame post and then a few more. And I guess that's still less than half of the designs available. In theory, it should be possible to play through all of them if you dedicate your time to nothing else, but whether it's advisable is another question. Lack of time wasn't the main reason why I haven't played all UA designs uploaded to the archive. Some of them are really not worth spending any amount if time on, as they are so unpolished and unbalanced that you might not even be able to complete them due to all the bugs and unfair combat, even if you don't mind the lacklustre storytellling and boring area design.

anything